What's new

HTF Movie Draft! Join in quick! (1 Viewer)

Ric Bagoly

Senior HTF Member
Justin, easily
Rain
----
2001-ok movie
Schindler-haven't seen yet
Children Of Paradise-haven't heard of
E.T.-LOATHE. One of the most overpraised movies of all time
Maltese Falcon-ok movie
8 1/2-haven't seen
Modern Times-pretty good. The best of his picks
Dumbo-bizarre pick
Sunset Boulevard-ok movie
Seventh Seal-interesting but flawed
Justin
------
Requiem For A Dream-haven't seen
Mullholland Drive-haven't seen
Rosemary's Baby-pretty good film with a fine Farrow performance
Seven-Masterpiece
The Hitcher-well above average
The Wicker Man-haven't seen
Prince Of Darkness-excellent, well-made scarefest
Black Christmas-good, but a bit overpraised
Martin-pretty good realistic vampire film
Blair Witch Project-Crap. Only questionable call on Justin's part

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Brian Kissinger

Screenwriter
I vote for Justin because he has more movies on his list that I really enjoy. However, his one-sidedness sometimes drives me to insanity.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I've only seen 4 on Rain's list and 5 on Justin's.

Rain has the great "2001" and several films I like. While I love Justin's "Requiem", I strongly dislike "Blair Witch Project" and find "Mulholland Drive" overrated.

So, my vote is for Rain (though I feel I haven't seen enough overall).

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member

Quote:

Guess I'll vote for that Rain guy.

He has really cool movies on his list.

Yes, he certainly does!

2001: A Space Odyssey -What needs to be said? A Kubrick Masterpiece!

Schindler's List- Spielberg's best achievement. One of the greats.

Children of Paradise - I would like to see it again, but it didn't pull me in.

E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial- I have fond memories of seeing this as a teenager, but thats about it.

The Maltese Falcon - The definition of great Film Noir! I can't believe I still don't have this on DVD!

8 1/2 - I saw this for the first time a few weeks ago via Netflix. I bought the Criterion disc the next day. Absolutely fantastic film making!

Modern Times - Haven't seen :b

Dumbo- Certainly not a bad movie (I even own the DVD) but it's not even my favorite Disney classic.

Sunset Boulevard - A Masterpiece. One of the best films ever made, with impeccable acting performances.

The Seventh Seal- A very good selection from Ingmar Bergman, though it wouldn't quite make my top 100.

Overall a very good list, with several movies that I feel very strongly about.

Justin's picks are all very good movies, especially Se7en, Requiem for a Dream, Mullholland Dr. and The Wicker Man, but overall I am not as passionate about the movies on his list as I am with many of the ones on Rain's.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I don't know how to vote on this one. They both have a couple I haven't seen and a couple I really don't like and a couple I really do. I'm not too big on either list, though I did pick Justin for my "weekend of movies."

I think I have to call it a draw.

I guess I'll be going up against Andy, who is one of the few who has a movie I really wish I had. I don't think it matters, because I would get throttled by any of the lists. I'm just glad I won't be going up against Andrew, who has already throttled me once this year.

Evan Case

Screenwriter
Well, as I've mentioned before (and even awarded a special prize for it) I've only seen three of Justin's films and have a strong urge to see at least 3-4 of the others.
That said, I gotsta go with Rain, as I would more willingly watch my least of his 10 than my favorite of the three Justin's.
I suppose it's possible that the other 7 on Justin's list could make me vote for him, but I'd liken the chances of that to a primitive Ewok defeating a highly-trained Imperial stormtrooper.
Wait a minute... scratch that. Reverse it. :)
Evan

Cary T

Screenwriter
I vote for Rain. While Justin own some titles such as Requiem for a Dream and Mulholland Dr that can sway my vote. He also has The Blair Witch Project, a film which I strongly detest. Rain's list consist of some potent titles like Schindler's List, 2001, and The Seventh Seal; titles I didn't care for Dumbo and E.T. (yes you read correctly, E.T.); and no films on his list I despise.

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
Well, I've seen three films on Rain's list, all of which I haven't seen in years. Justin, on the other hand, has Seven, The Hitcher, The Wicker Man, and Martin. All those films reside in my top fifty...
Justin

Jan H

Senior HTF Member
Rain - quite easily, for both quality and variety. I've seen all of his choices and would have easily chosen half of his movies for my own list had they been available. I've seen 8 of Justin's, and truly loved only a couple of 'em (Seven and Requiem for a Dream). But as I've said before, horror is a genre I do not admire.

Matt Pelham

Screenwriter
My vote goes to Justin
Only one of the two choices has a film on their list that I absolutely loathe, and that is Rain (Seventh Seal). I like the rest of his list, but to me that pick almost wipes out any redeeming qualities about the rest. Thumbs up to 2001, Dumbo, and The Maltese Falcon. :emoji_thumbsup:
Although I'm not a huge fan of The Wicker Man, I do like Se7en, Mulholland, Rosemary's, and the Hitcher quite a bit. Every movie on his list is watchable and I would consider them all at least 3+ stars out of 5.

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Rain's list:
Love - 2001: A Space Odyssey
Like - Schindler's List, E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial, The Maltese Falcon, Dumbo
Haven't seen - Children of Paradise, 8 1/2, Modern Times, Sunset Boulevard, The Seventh Seal
Justin's list:
Love - Mulholland Dr., The Wicker Man
Like - Seven, Martin, The Blair Witch Project
Hate - Requiem for a Dream
Haven't seen - Rosemary's Baby, The Hitcher, Prince of Darkness, Black Christmas
Overall, Justin's list is a little bit closer to my tastes. However...
1) Rain's got 2001
2) I'm pretty sure I would like most of the movies on Rain's list that I haven't seen
3) Justin has Requiem for a Dream, a film I truly loathe
So I'm voting for Rain

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Just curious about a few things.
Is the voting limited to just the people who have participated in the draft, or is it open to everyone?
If you've only seen two or three films on someone's list, shouldn't you abstain?
Edit: never mind the first question - I found the answer in another post. :)

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
A. Anyone can vote.
B. Rain moves on.
C. Next matchup:
Matt Stone
The Godfather
Taxi Driver
Goodfellas
12 Angry Men (1957)
Jaws
Magnolia
The Graduate
Donnie Darko
Boogie Nights
Rushmore
vs.
Steeve Bergeron
The Empire Strikes Back
Saving Private Ryan
Blade Runner
Braveheart
The Professional
Amelie
Queen Margot
Logan's Run
La Femme Nikita
The Time Machine (1960)
I don't have time right now to cast a vote and explain it adequately, so I'll do it later.
Vote!

ChuckDeLa

Senior HTF Member
Matt's list:
Love: The Godfather, Taxi Driver, Goodfellas, The Graduate,
Donnie Darko, Boogie Nights, Rushmore
Like: Jaws
Dislike: Magnolia
Haven't seen: 12 Angry Men
Steeve's list:
Love: The Empire Strikes Back, Blade Runner, The Professional, Amelie, The Time Machine
Like: Saving Private Ryan, Logan's Run, La Femme Nikita
Haven't seen: Braveheart, Queen Margot
Two lists that closely match my own tastes. Gonna go with Matt Stone, but it's definitely a tough choice.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
I think I'll go with Matt.
The only movie on Matt's list that I don't care for is The Graduate. It's not a bad movie by any means, but I really don't see what all the fuss is about. I should also mention that while Magnolia is a bravura effort from P.T. Anderson, it's not a film I find especially endearing.
From Steeve's list, there are only two films that I really enjoy: Amelie and The Empire Strikes Back. I do like Blade Runner, but to a lesser degree.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for letting us all in Scott. I liked a lot of movies on both the first lists, but Rain has ones I love and only one (E.T.) that I don’t care for, so I’d have gone with him—not that he needed the vote.
The current match-up is a bit harder for me, as both Matt and Double E have films that I love. But as Steeve has one that I don’t care for at all (Bravehart) and overall I like most of Matt’s a bit more than most of Steeve’s it’s:
Matt Stone

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks