What's new

HTF HD-DVD Review: Flags of our Fathers (1 Viewer)

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
No worries Edwin. I was more replying to Crawdaddy since he quoted my post.

FWIW, I don't consider SPR a great film either. I prefer it to FOOF by a large margin, but it's hardly perfect. The bookends are quite poor and it gets treacly more often than necessary.

And I like FOOF...but I didn't think it was special, and it merely covered themes I had long ago seen addressed in a superior fashion. Parts of it were quite effective, and parts of it were quite mediocre. The actors didn't do that well, either.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Subjectivity is exactly what's playing here because I can't agree at all with your comments about some of the film being mediocre or that the actors didn't do well. Anyhow, this isn't the Movies area so I won't respond anymore about the film itself.

Crawdaddy

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Very good points. Also you have to remember that this was a time when Americans were were TRULY being asked to sacrifice. New cars were not manufactured between 1942 and 1946. Meat was rarely available and when it was it was VERY expensive. Materials like silk and cotton were not widely available to the average American. You could only buy gas on particular days of the week and then only a limited number of gallons. You couldn't buy new tires during the war. People doing war work were expected to do over time and not get over time pay (a deal the government made with the unions). Every bit of America's monetary and manufacturing might was put toward the war effort and people were reminded of it every day. The only real non war luxury that was available was the movies, and even many of those had war themes if they weren't out right war movies.

By the time the Bond Tour took place Americans were pretty tired of the war and they were being asked to make yet more sacrifices. That photograph and those three guys on tour got people too feel that victory was possible and they dug deeper into their pockets.

Doug

P.S. Wow didn't mean for this to be that long. Now back to the regularly scheduled program.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks