What's new

HTF BOO-RAY REVIEW: Shutter (Unrated) (1 Viewer)

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Blu-ray Disc Review

In the era of HD, and supposedly HD produced special features, I’m at a loss to explain why Fox doesn’t always show their special features in HD. It’s likely that some material is SD 1.78:1, and some is SD 4:3. But when every feature on this disc is presented in SD 1.78:1 and NOT enhanced for widescreen televisions, it’s a disappointment. That is how all features are presented on this disc (MPEG-2 encode). The only logic I can see to this is that the content wasn’t widescreen to begin with and each featurette had 1.78:1 bars put on the top and bottom for artistic intent. But, that’s highly unlikely, and even the deleted/alternate scenes are even letterboxed 4:3 SD. Fox, what’s the logic for this on Blu-ray?

Audio Commentary - by Production Executive Alex Sundell, Screenwriter Luke Dawson, and Actress Rachel Taylor. All three of them are in the discussion at the same time and the ladies seem to take over most of the time. Its content is exactly what you’d expect of it: production, experiences on set, and writing - by each of the guest’s specialties.

Most featurettes are edited pieces of discussions with Joshua Jackson, the director, writer, Rachel Taylor, and others who worked with the film. Clips of the film are edited in to support their statements. What differs is the subject matter, which is listed below:

A Ghost in the Lens (8:09) – a discussion about the Japanese legend of the yurei, or as we know it, the dead, and their motives/reasons for staying in the living world before their souls are set free.

A Cultural Divide (9:21) – how the crew found working in Japan to be a treat as well as working with a Japanese director through a translator.

The Director (9:32) – to think he hates ghosts…he made a ghost movie! Ochiai discusses his respect for the original film and his decisions while remaking it. A discussion of spirit photography is also here.

Conversation with Luke Dawson (5:33) – on the screenplay.

History of Spirit Photography (4:50) - with original photos, this quick featurette delivers a bit of history behind spirit photography in the early days from the real to the hoax…and who to believe. It’s very interesting and my favourite featurette on the disc.

Create your Own Phantom Photo (4:00) – how to use a photo manipulation program on a basic Mac to create your own ghostly pictures.

The Hunt for the Haunt (2:29) – tips for finding ghosts. Be patient, you might just find one (what would you do if you did, and then it face screamed at you without flesh and showed all bone?)

Fox Movie Channel Presents: in character with Joshua Jackson (2:06) – interview with Joshua Jackson for this promo piece.

Japanese Spirit Photography Videos (17:16) – I’m not sure what the source is of this, where it came from, or why it was selected for this BD/DVD, but it appears to be a short Japanese horror flick about spirit photography. Shot with home video cameras and intended to look like “on location” news of a place where people went missing, it’s a strange mish-mash of work, a bit unfocussed, like it was made by high school kids. It’s probably the intention, but I didn’t really understand how the last part ties together with the first two. There are three videos here and you can access all three independently or as “play all”. Part 1: The Host Camera, Part 2: The Red Thing, and Part 3: Finally Free are it’s titles, and the latter features a decaying body on a table and after 72 hours people drill into the brain and set the ghost free…? Strange…

There are over 27 minutes of deleted and alternate scenes. Of the 15 in total, there are only a few that add a bit of insight to the story, especially that around Megumi’s death. It’s quite an extended sequence with new scenes entirely and with new characters. Keeping it in would have slowed the pace of the film down since it’s near the end, and a successful film needs to keep the pace moving, even if it’s at the sacrifice of character development. Hmmm…too bad this never came to light somewhere in the middle of the film…but then it would have thrown off the film’s secret and climax too. Ahhh…the joys of editing. Many other deleted scenes are of Jane’s alienation in Japan. They were cut because we get the point very early in the film.

IN THE END...

Shutter is an entertaining film that tries to instil fear in the viewer rather than using gore. While this release is an “unrated” edition, I’m not sure what could have been cut from the theatrical release. It’s probably not much because to be classified as unrated, I believe the film doesn’t have to be submitted to the ratings board with the new edits. For anyone looking for lots of gore, you will be disappointed. This isn’t a film for that. The BD looks excellent and the soundtrack supports the haunting story. It’s a good disc to enjoy for high definition audio and video.

Michael Osadciw
July 11, 2008.

Review System

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i guess i'll watch it.
i have a copy but was expecting it to e typical gore fest.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
turned out to e a decent film.
pretty creepy concept, although the first set of professional model shots that had the thing in them could have been easily airbrushed or photo-shopped to get the stuff out of the image.

those who like film grain will like this too.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks