What's new

One From the Heart: Reprise 4K UHD (1 Viewer)

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
On March 4th StudioCanal will release Francis Ford Coppola's One From the Heart on 4K disc. Have the dvd and it's a lightweight film with some nice visuals and great photography by Vittorio Storaro.

UHD Disc 1 / Blu-Ray Disc 1: One From The Heart: Reprise * NEW The Look of One From The Heart * NEW The Cast of One From The Heart * NEW Reinventing the Musical: Baz Luhrmann on One From The Heart* NEW The Choreography of One From The Heart * NEW One From The Heart: Reprise, Restoration Comparison * NEW 2024 Trailer * Francis Ford Coppola feature commentary. UHD Disc 2 / Blu-Ray Disc 2: One From The Heart: 1982 Cut * The Making Of One From The Heart * The Dream Studio * The Electronic Cinema * Tom Waits and the Music From One From The Heart * Deleted Scenes * Videotaped Rehearsals * Francis Ford Coppola speaks to the Exhibitors * Press Conference at the Studio * This One's From The Heart Music Video * Stop Motion Demo * Tom Waits Score - Alternate Tracks * 2003 Theatrical trailer * 1982 Theatrical trailer

1702647356810.png

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
Is this the fourth cut of One From the Heart to be released (1982 theatrical, VHS/TV, DVD/BluRay, Reprise), or were there others? I looked but couldn't find a definitive answer.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
Is this the fourth cut of One From the Heart to be released (1982 theatrical, VHS/TV, DVD/BluRay, Reprise), or were there others? I looked but couldn't find a definitive answer.
I think this would be the third edit. I recall RAH posting when the blu-ray was released that there was only 1 version theatrically released. But I swear I saw a different version in LA when it was released (I saw it multiple times). The opening sequence with Franny and her tickets to Bora-Bora was handled differently. When I saw the film again on disc, I had an immediate "wait...that's not what I saw before!" reaction. Time plays tricks on ones memories, but I'm pretty sure that what I saw was different from what was released on disc.

As for this release, I could not be more excited. It is a film of incredible beauty and an amazing production on every level. (One can assume Barbie was influenced by it. ) Hopefully without the weight of the initial "Coppola's big gamble" media hype that surrounded the film it can be viewed with more accepting eyes. Much too appreciate, including Tom Wait's fantastic score.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I think this would be the third edit. I recall RAH posting when the blu-ray was released that there was only 1 version theatrically released. But I swear I saw a different version in LA when it was released (I saw it multiple times). The opening sequence with Franny and her tickets to Bora-Bora was handled differently. When I saw the film again on disc, I had an immediate "wait...that's not what I saw before!" reaction. Time plays tricks on ones memories, but I'm pretty sure that what I saw was different from what was released on disc.
I thought the initial VHS home video release was a different cut from what was in theaters, and then the DVD release was slightly altered from that? My first exposure to it was on DVD, so it's the only version I know.

SD_Brian

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
So, it's 2 UHD discs and no regular blu-rays?
The specs read like it's 4 discs: two UHD, two Blu-Rays, with the same content on both formats. The Amazon.uk listing indicates the blu-rays are all-region, but caveat emptor until that is confirmed.

Richard Kaufman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Richard Kaufman
I recall seeing "One from the Heart" when it opened at Radio City Music Hall in New York. After it ended, I pondered its problems. The thing that struck me immediately was that all four leading characters were unlikable, which made it hard to like the film.

owen35

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
I thought the initial VHS home video release was a different cut from what was in theaters, and then the DVD release was slightly altered from that? My first exposure to it was on DVD, so it's the only version I know.
In another forum someone posted that the original VHS release was the theatrical cut, but the subsequent DVD and BR releases were a different edit. I have no way to verify it, but it does sort of confirm my believe that the version I saw in the theaters was not what I saw on disc. If that information is correct, then this will be the third version.

DarkVader

Second Unit
Real Name
Carlos
Limited theatrical re-release is happening. Seeing this at the IFC here in NYC. Opens 01/19.

david hare

Supporting Actor
Real Name
david hare
This is a seriously heavy restoration project.

Beautiful film!
Back in 2018 when we launched the first Cinema Reborn retrospective in Sydney our plans to include the newly restored Cotton Club were thwarted by the copyright holder. Coppola responded very kindly by sending us his personal 35mm print of One from the Heart which we screened only once. It was (and remains ) pristine, and should/could with minimal resto effort make the transition to a 4K scan and disc. It’s a gorgeous print.

Reactions: PMF

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Back in 2018 when we launched the first Cinema Reborn retrospective in Sydney our plans to include the newly restored Cotton Club were thwarted by the copyright holder. Coppola responded very kindly by sending us his personal 35mm print of One from the Heart which we screened only once. It was (and remains ) pristine, and should/could with minimal resto effort make the transition to a 4K scan and disc. It’s a gorgeous print.
Prints are never used as digital masters, unless no pre-print survives.

cinemel1

Second Unit
Real Name
Mel Matsil
I recall seeing "One from the Heart" when it opened at Radio City Music Hall in New York. After it ended, I pondered its problems. The thing that struck me immediately was that all four leading characters were unlikable, which made it hard to like the film.
I also saw it at RCMH in its premiere run. Musicals are my favorite genre. I was not impressed. I think it got too much hype before it opened. I felt the same about
La La Land. However, I found the latter much more entertaining including much better score.

Nathan_H

Second Unit
I have a recollection of seeing this during a re-release in the 1980s in a theater and marveling at the production design. Years later I read about how all the neon was repurposed for Blade Runner, whose team apparently bought it for pennies on the dollar. I am pleasantly surprised this is getting a proper 4k restoration. I look forward to seeing it again.

Reactions: PMF

lark144

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
mark gross
A nice surprise in the mail today! View attachment 215677
Yup. Just got mine too. I'm going to watch the theatrical version first. I loved it when I saw it at Radio City, thought it was perfection, so I see no reason to "fix" it. THE COTTON CLUB, on the other hand, had all kinds of issues in its theatrical release, and I thought Coppola's "redux" went a long way to making it more understandable, and for me, a better film, in that what was there in potential, kind of lingering between the shots, became more realized in the re-edit. I'm not so sure about ONE FROM THE HEART, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks