What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: The Terminator (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member

The mindset SHOULD be "present the movie the best way possible"- i.e., close to the optimal theatrical viewing experience (i.e., a show-print on opening night in a top-of-the-line movie theater). THE TERMINATOR was originally realesed in mono, and the mono soundtrack (mono PCM would be sweet) should have been preserved on the Blu-ray Disc as a viewing option.

Vincent

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed.

Had they used *lossless* compression, they'd have had room for the original mono new 5.1 mix without any compromise.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
don't most AVR's have a way to downmix everything into the center channel to simulate mono? mine doesn't, but i thought higher end AVR's should have this feature.

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
good point. yeah it'd be weird to hear casablanca in "5.1" even though we have the technology to do so.

Phil Menard

Stunt Coordinator
Re: Credits

I recall that the prints had to have Harlan Ellison added to the credits at some point in time. I don't remember if it was while the film played in theaters or when it went to vhs. Perhaps a different master was used and had to be corrected? Just speculating.

Gekkou

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Casey M.
The DVD release didn't have one either. Were you thinking of Terminator 2?

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I just popped my netflix rental of this and the menu comes up, I select play movie, I get to see the R rating screen, the Interpol and commentary screens, then it goes to black and no movie, just stays black. I've tried it a second time after ejecting the disc. Same thing.

I'm playing it on a Sony BDP550 which recently had a firmware update. Anyway this player is much newer than the disc.

Anyone else have this problem?

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Ok, never mind, the disc just needed a serious cleaning. I would have posted sooner, but he movie started and...well you know how it is.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
In light of the T2 Skynet edition release this week, I'm considering buying that and I'd like to get T1 too. I don't have either on BD. So I'm curious, after 3 years, does this early BD of The Terminator still hold up to current BD releases?

Thanks!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I reeeally wanted to walk away with the latest version of Terminator on Blu, handsomely packaged in a Blubook, but my conscience got the best of me. At $30 I just couldn't justify buying it again just to get some liner notes. Does MGM need the money that much?

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Luisito34

I reeeally wanted to walk away with the latest version of Terminator on Blu, handsomely packaged in a Blubook, but my conscience got the best of me. At $30 I just couldn't justify buying it again just to get some liner notes. Does MGM need the money that much?

Maybe. The book version really is a rip-off. You can get the same disc for $13 less at Amazon. The book's worth maybe an extra $2 or $3, but not $13...

Does the sd version from 2001 have the original mono track or was it downmixed from the newer stereo remix?

gomezfan69

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
jason stocker
It does have the original mono track. The only track I'll listen to for this movie, unless they do a new 5.1 mix using the original music and sound effects.

Real Name
Ransom Stoddard
I didn't think it was much of an improvement over the DVD and I certainly wouldn't give it 8/10. I'd say 6/10 is more accurate.

Johnny Angell

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
Originally Posted by TravisR

Is this latest release just a repackaging of the previous blu-ray?

It's a re-release of the existing disc but now it comes with a book. It's like on The Simpsons when Smithers wants a 'new' Malibu Stacy because it has a hat.[/QUOTE]

Ok. Thank. No need up "upgrade" then.

Michael Osadciw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael Osadciw
Ransom Stoddard said:
I didn't think it was much of an improvement over the DVD and I certainly wouldn't give it 8/10. I'd say 6/10 is more accurate.
Quite agreed. I still believe there is a large difference from the DVD, but I did this review 5 years ago so it was a bit of a comparison to what was around at that time, and there really wasn't too much! Much has happened in our Blu-ray world since then!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks