What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Michael Jackson's This is It (1 Viewer)

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Gallagher

One of the tag lines for the film is “Discover the man you never knew.” However, in reality the film provides little insight into the controversial aspects of Jackson’s life. The footage was never intended to become a documentary, so the only time Jackson speaks is when he is talking with his fellow performers or his director, Kenny Ortega. At times his words are uttered so softly that English subtitles appear to help the viewer understand what he is saying. However, the film is a revelation when it comes to Michael Jackson the performer. Singer, dancer, choreographer, arranger, songwriter – he does them all. It is difficult to reconcile the Michael Jackson we see here – talented, innovative, gentle, solicitous of his fellow performers – with the man who underwent repeated bizarre plastic surgeries, was accused of pedophilia, and infamously held out his infant son over the fourth-story railing of a hotel room in Berlin. Be that as it may, Michael Jackson’s This is It focuses only on the performer. Even for a non-fan, it is an exhilarating and entertaining ride.
In my opinion the controversial weirdo *is* the "man we knew" and the serious performer preparing and rehearsing his material is the side of him that we haven't really seen before.

Great review! I wouldn't call myself a huge fan of MJ (I enjoy some of his stuff, and his stage presence elevates all of it) but I might pick this up anyway.

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Great film and I agree with Aaron, though whether that is as much to do with what the media reports on him. Don't get me wrong, the guy had serious issues but its nice to see Jackson doing what he was actually renowned for - performing, dancing and singing. This film is a great reminder of how good he really was.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
I saw this in the theaters and I had wondered then, how great this is going to sound on BD. But, even I had not anticipated how great the BD actually sounds. For anyone who has even a slight liking for Michael Jackson's music, this is an absolute must own Blu-ray, for Sony has truelly achieved the pinnacle of sound with this BD. Ofcourse, the film/documentary itself is also very entertaining and gives an insight into what was obviously going to be one heck of a show. Oh what I wouldn't give to have been able to see the final, rather than just bits and pieces of what looks like a one in a lifetime performance.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Sanjay Gupta

But, even I had not anticipated how great the BD actually sounds. For anyone who has even a slight liking for Michael Jackson's music, this is an absolute must own Blu-ray, for Sony has truly achieved the pinnacle of sound with this BD.
Wow, Sanjay. It's like you were speaking right to me. I have a slight liking of Jackson's music. Thriller was a HUGE album when I was an older teen/young adult. And, I really enjoy concert BDs with great sound (but have trouble finding them to fit my musical tastes).

I had been thinking about the possibilities of owning this disc. It just moved up my list...although I will probably be looking to pick it up "used" or for a VERY GOOD sale somewhere.

Sanjay Gupta

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Sanjay Gupta
Originally Posted by Mike Frezon

Wow, Sanjay. It's like you were speaking right to me. I have a slight liking of Jackson's music. Thriller was a HUGE album when I was an older teen/young adult. And, I really enjoy concert BDs with great sound (but have trouble finding them to fit my musical tastes).

I had been thinking about the possibilities of owning this disc. It just moved up my list...although I will probably be looking to pick it up "used" or for a VERY GOOD sale somewhere.
Mike, I promise, you will not be dissapointed with the audio on this and listening to MJ's music in spectacular 5.1 lossless audio itself justifies the $23.99 listed price on Amazon. Although, I am sure if you wait a week or two, the price will come down by atleast a few dollars.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't doubt the price is justified.

It just becomes a question of my budget combined with the amount of affection I have for his music. Some I really like, some I don't. I imagine that which I like, though, is going to sound phenomenal on this disc. I'm not really sure how often I'd spin it up though. So, I'll be looking for a bargain.

Thanks so much though for your mini-review. It sounds exciting.

Are most of the songs intact...even though this is rehearsal footage? No stops/starts, do-overs, that sort of thing?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
Depends on the song. Man on the Mirror for example is only the last part if I remember correctly. Some are whole songs, some include stop/starts.

Tina_H_V

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tina
Yes, I was very fortunate to receive my copy of This Is It used the first time I went for it last weekend,

As a long-time fan myself, I am more than impressed. There is also a companion book to the DVD/Blu-ray Disc release. I plan to
add a copy in the weeks to come.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks