What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Firefly: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Zack Gibbs

Screenwriter
^^ I know right. Dollhouse sucks balls. It is only getting a second season because Fox didn't want another "firefly incident," but Dollhouse is no Firefly. Fox-Morons.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by BIP

I got it on Blu and it really takes off from episode 6, although. Glad there'll be a 2nd season.

Cheers

Similar opinion here, but I'd say Dollhouse sucks until episode 6, and then it becomes pretty good.

With Firefly, the characters were instantly lovable. In Dollhouse, the characters are mostly really maladjusted people who have jobs exploiting people, and who compensate with various levels of self-delusion to get them through the day. As such it is not the hug-fest that Firefly was. It's challenging to deal with characters who are so grey (not good, not bad).

As one of the more self-aware handlers says in a Dollhouse episode "We're pimps and murderers, but in a philanthropic way."

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Originally Posted by Will_B /forum/thread/278762/htf-blu-ray-review-firefly-the-complete-series#post_3604690

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Just finished watching them all. The last episode was my least favorite. Strange episode. Overall, though, great show.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
You have to watch the last episode with Joss' commentary now, in which he explains what he was trying to achieve with the ep. Don't worry, it is not a boring commentary like the solo Serenity commentary, it's actually quite good.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
I did rewatch the final episode w/ Joss' commentary. While still not my favorite episode, it did make me appreciate it more than the first time through.

I watched Serenity (the movie) again too. As I mentioned earlier, when I first saw Serenity, I had never seen Firefly and I think my enjoyment of the movie suffered.

After watching the TV series, the movie is much improved. The movie doesn't do a good job fleshing out the characters, and I can see now, to enjoy the movie and characters you really do need to know the history though the TV series. Even so, I don't think they quite captured the essence of the Firefly in the movie. The movie appears to take place after the TV series, yet the characters don't seem to have the same bond they do in Firefly. I don't know how to explain it. The're personal relationships seem more distant in the movie compared to how Firefly progressed.

ATimson

Second Unit
Real Name
Andrew Timson
Originally Posted by Bryan X

The're personal relationships seem more distant in the movie compared to how Firefly progressed.
That's because Mal's spent the last six months after Inara left the ship being Mr. Crankypants.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
The last episode was my favorite. And Jayne cracked me up, in every episode. Loved his character! You made me want to pull my Blu-ray set out, and rewatch it. Tried to get my wife into it, on my last watch. The show did nothing for her.

Jari

Stunt Coordinator
I finally watched every Firefly episode followed by Serenity movie during one quiet weekend. There's been a while (several years actually) since I last watched either the series or the movie, and was curious if they would still hold up. And sure they do! What a great show! I wish there were more episodes or another movie... Kind of same feeling I have with Twin Peaks.

I also think the blu-ray set is great. Amazing picture & audio quality. Sure it would be great to have the cgi rendered in 1080p but in some episodes I was quite stunned how great it still looked (I have 92" screen). Love the grainy texture the blu-ray shows. It kinda adds more feeling and atmosphere to the show, and compared to normal dvds that look quite soft and murky, the difference is stunning.

Serenity movie improved greatly (blu-ray was only my second time I watched it). Back when the dvd came out I was disappointed but now I just loved it and think its on par with the rest of the series. And wow how good the blu-ray looked and sounded! Stunning! Great disc from universal.

Anyway just wanted to let some steam off. What a great universe and characters! I miss it, badly! Actually watching Firefly & Serrenity again shoved me to buy the soundtrack cds, I just love the score from Greg Edmonson. We need more Joss Whedon to blu-ray Fox! Angel (and Buffy) is one of my favourite shows and I'd love to have it in high-def.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get the awesome painting/poster of the Firefly crew (don't know the artist who made it though)?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks