1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Firefly: The Complete Series

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Cameron Yee, Nov 15, 2008.

1. Zack Gibbs

Zack Gibbs Screenwriter

^^ I know right. Dollhouse sucks balls. It is only getting a second season because Fox didn't want another "firefly incident," but Dollhouse is no Firefly. Fox-Morons.

2. Will_B

Will_B Producer

Similar opinion here, but I'd say Dollhouse sucks until episode 6, and then it becomes pretty good.

With Firefly, the characters were instantly lovable. In Dollhouse, the characters are mostly really maladjusted people who have jobs exploiting people, and who compensate with various levels of self-delusion to get them through the day. As such it is not the hug-fest that Firefly was. It's challenging to deal with characters who are so grey (not good, not bad).

As one of the more self-aware handlers says in a Dollhouse episode "We're pimps and murderers, but in a philanthropic way."

3. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan
    Originally Posted by Will_B

4. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan
    Just finished watching them all. The last episode was my least favorite. Strange episode. Overall, though, great show.

5. Will_B

Will_B Producer

You have to watch the last episode with Joss' commentary now, in which he explains what he was trying to achieve with the ep. Don't worry, it is not a boring commentary like the solo Serenity commentary, it's actually quite good.

6. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan
    Thanks for the tip Will.

7. Bryan X

Bryan X Producer

Bryan
    I did rewatch the final episode w/ Joss' commentary. While still not my favorite episode, it did make me appreciate it more than the first time through.

I watched Serenity (the movie) again too. As I mentioned earlier, when I first saw Serenity, I had never seen Firefly and I think my enjoyment of the movie suffered.

After watching the TV series, the movie is much improved. The movie doesn't do a good job fleshing out the characters, and I can see now, to enjoy the movie and characters you really do need to know the history though the TV series. Even so, I don't think they quite captured the essence of the Firefly in the movie. The movie appears to take place after the TV series, yet the characters don't seem to have the same bond they do in Firefly. I don't know how to explain it. The're personal relationships seem more distant in the movie compared to how Firefly progressed.

8. ATimson

ATimson Second Unit

Andrew Timson
    That's because Mal's spent the last six months after Inara left the ship being Mr. Crankypants.

9. RickER

RickER Producer

Rick
    The last episode was my favorite. And Jayne cracked me up, in every episode. Loved his character! You made me want to pull my Blu-ray set out, and rewatch it. Tried to get my wife into it, on my last watch. The show did nothing for her.

10. Jari

Jari Stunt Coordinator

I finally watched every Firefly episode followed by Serenity movie during one quiet weekend. There's been a while (several years actually) since I last watched either the series or the movie, and was curious if they would still hold up. And sure they do! What a great show! I wish there were more episodes or another movie... Kind of same feeling I have with Twin Peaks.

I also think the blu-ray set is great. Amazing picture & audio quality. Sure it would be great to have the cgi rendered in 1080p but in some episodes I was quite stunned how great it still looked (I have 92" screen). Love the grainy texture the blu-ray shows. It kinda adds more feeling and atmosphere to the show, and compared to normal dvds that look quite soft and murky, the difference is stunning.

Serenity movie improved greatly (blu-ray was only my second time I watched it). Back when the dvd came out I was disappointed but now I just loved it and think its on par with the rest of the series. And wow how good the blu-ray looked and sounded! Stunning! Great disc from universal.

Anyway just wanted to let some steam off. What a great universe and characters! I miss it, badly! Actually watching Firefly & Serrenity again shoved me to buy the soundtrack cds, I just love the score from Greg Edmonson. We need more Joss Whedon to blu-ray Fox! Angel (and Buffy) is one of my favourite shows and I'd love to have it in high-def.

By the way, does anyone know where I can get the awesome painting/poster of the Firefly crew (don't know the artist who made it though)?

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

12. Jari

Jari Stunt Coordinator

Thanks Will_B! Yes I had the one Jason Palmer made in my mind. Thanks!

13. Adam Gregorich

Owner

Adam
  14. Todd Erwin

Todd Erwin Producer
    Reviewer

Todd Erwin
    Can't pass that up for $19!!