What's new

HTB and speaker sets (1 Viewer)

My parents want me to pick out a good HTB for them. They hven't set a price limit but I'm guessing about $500-600 cdn. I'm unsure what to buy them. I would like them to spend a little more money, but I know they don't want to. This will be their frist new stereo system for like 30 years.

I was thinking about something like them pinoeer htb-520 (I think, I can't remember for sure). My brother bought a sony set and to be honest I'm not overly impressed by that. They aren't worried about tonnes of bass either. I'm been trying to think of what to buy but again I'm not sure. Especially since I'm building a setof speakers right nw that cost me about $1300, I know they won't go for that.

I have another feeling that they would not want to buy used. Does anyone have any suggestions? This is just for a basic starter system.

Thanks

Jeremy Hopkins

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Jeremy,

Next months issue (due in a week or two) of Home Theater Magazine will address HTB's. May be a good read for you.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
If you're considering HTIB and you're considering Pioneer, i would give a strong look at the Pioneer HTP720 and HTP725. They both include a D811S receiver, 6 matched satellite speakers, a 100w 8" powered sub, and a DVD player. The DVD player is the difference in the 2. The HTP720 comes with a standard non-progressive dvd player. The HTP725 upgrades to a progressive scan dvd player that also supports DVD-Audio. Depending on their DVD needs I would choose between these 2 packages.

The 520 package you're looking at has a dvd/receiver combination which is in most cases a no-no. If one part goes out, you're left with a half functioning piece of equipment. Also, most combination devices make ALOT of compromises. The D811S receiver that comes w/ the 2 packages i mentioned is a great entry level receiver w/ 6 powered channels of amplification and supports all of the current sound formats.

The HTP720 can be found on-line for around $480 and the HTP725 can be found on-line for around $550. Check out shopping.yahoo.com and sort by best price.

Hope this helps :)

Thanks for you're replies. I will definitely check out the two pinoeer sets, as well as the HT magazine.

Thanks

Jeremy

Jose G

Supporting Actor
Stephen,
I just want to say that you are the man when it comes to HTiB know how. I responded to another post where you suggested an HTiB for about $350- also a great pick for their needs. :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeremy,
That D811S receiver is well liked by many here on the forum. Now I have a question: you are talking canadian dollars, right? I think the Stephen might be talking American dollars so that may come out to a bit more cash. His $350 American HTiB suggestion from this thread might be good enough for your folks. Check it out.

Thanks, I haven't had time to search for threads or else I probably would have found that one ;). To be honest I'm not really set on any manufacture yet. I'll talk to them and see what they think about ordering online. Its up to them in the end.

If you want you can suggest others that would fit in to the price range. This range can move a little too. If I say that its really worth the extra money then they will probably agree with me.

Thanks

Jeremy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks