What's new

HT Speaker choices (1 Viewer)

Micah Wells

Agent
I have been visiting this forum for a couple of months now, tyring to decide (and waiting on the funds) which system would be best as our first home theater. I have made my final decision many times now, and have been to audition each set during the process. But the longer I wait, doubt creeps in and I find myself searcing again. I am trying to fing the perfect blend between value and performance. The following packages are what I have decided on, at one time or another. Any comparisons would help. Also, I am planning on building my sub, but might have to get by with a cheaper (Dayton 10" from PE?) until I have the time. The one that I have planned uses the Stryke AV12 with PR's. I have modeled a 16 inch cube that looks pretty good on WinISD (this is a whole different thread.) This will pretty much be strictly Ht use in a med sized room - 17x22 w/ 10ft ceilings.

Top end (will have to save up longer):

Rocket ELT package

Paradigm Titans/170 center/atoms for rears

Atoms all the way around w/ 170 center

Axiom M2i around w/ VP 100 center

Lower end:

BIC 62 fronts, 62 Center, Wharfdale biploes for rears

Energy Take 5.2

Klipsch Quintet

JBL NSP1

HSU v-12

Of course the lower end fit my current budget better, and the higher end packages would have to pieced together. So the selfish side says go with one of the smaller packages, but will I be unhappy and just wnat to upgrade right away? By the way i plan on running this with an Onyo 601 or Yamaha HTR 5760 or the Panny XR50. Sorry this is long but I am drowning here. Throw me a line!!!

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well if you are like most of us buy something higher end even if it means buying a few pieces at a time.
If you buy the lower end stuff you may regret it after a couple of months.
Though your lower end stuff isn't that bad if this is your first HT stuff.
The receivers you are looking at are a good selection. you might want to add the HK 230 to that as well.

Micah Wells

Agent
These are the exact arguments that I have made to myself over the last couple of weeks. If I go with the lower end, I could be up and running for about 700-800 dollars. If I go high end, the total cost would be around $1200, but I wouldn't be able to complete the Ht until next year sometime. I have some extra cash that comes in over the summer, just not enoughto complete one of the "higher" end systems.

By the way, I looked at the HK, I just like the all black styling of the other three better. I couldn't tell any difference in sound. We are definitley not dealing with a discerning audiophile here.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
By a HK 525 refurb directly from HK. Very nice unit for under 500 dollars.
Well like I said if you jump in and get one of the lower ones you might say "Oh crap why didn't I wait for the higher end stuff"
But like I said some of the lower ones you mentioned are not bad systems to start out with but you will most likely want to upgrade after you start getting into the whole thing more.

Micah Wells

Agent
I have looked at the HK refurbs, and I think that the 525 is too much (possible?). I would probably go with the 325 if I go refurb.

After reading my own post, I think that I need to clarify.
The three sytems that are of choice right now would be the Titan/CC 170/Atom setup or the Atom/170/Atom setup. The other is the BIC America setup w/ DV62si in front, the 62 center and the Wharfdale dipoles as rears. I saw someone post that they had this combo, and at about $60 for rears, they mesh well. I think that these setups would give me the comprimise between price and performance that I am looking for. Since I have heard the Paradigms, and not the BICs, my question is how do they stack up? Would I be better off with the atoms over the BICs? Or would I only see a difference when I stepped up to the Titans? Or at all? I know, go listen. I can't get a hold of BICS without buying them. The only thing is that I can get the BICs at about half the cost of the Paradigms. I'm not sure, but I think that I am making progress, one thing is for sure, throughout the auditioning process, I have definitley caught the bug. Thanks for all the great info.

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I can't speak for the BIC product, but I can certainly give props to the Atoms. That was the speaker I started with when I began my HT, and I was more than happy with them. I hated to see them go, but as many of us do, I ended up with upgrade-itis. Some people will tell you that they favor the Titans over the Atoms, but I'm not one of them. When I heard the Atoms and Titans with a sub, I could not discern any difference.....but when I heard the Atoms up against the Titans w/out a sub, I felt the Atoms were slightly better. I'm sure you'd be more than happy with either choice, though. Paradigm builds quality stuff. Good luck!

Micah Wells

Agent
Thanks Alan. That is the type of help I am looking for. I am pretty sure that I will be very happy with the Paradigms. It's just that I am the type that will always wonder if I could have gotten the same happiness for less money. Perhaps I just need to go with what I know, and that is how the Atoms sound. Even if I went with the BICs and liked their sound, I would proabably wonder if the Atoms would have sounded better once I got them in my room. This second guessing never ends. By the way, what receiver did you have your Atoms paired with, and what did you upgrade to? My local dealer sells Yamaha, but I am also looking at the Onkyo 601. Any thoughts here?

Leigh_M

Stunt Coordinator
I would consider shopping for used speakers. That you can get the better system at your lower budget. Also, look for closeouts. Tweeter is currently closing out Boston Acoustic speakers. In my opinion, the Boston's have a great sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks