What's new

HT on a budget, need everything except mains (1 Viewer)

JohnBC

Auditioning
Looking to put a HT setup in an extra bedroom. Room is roughly 10x15, I have the TV, DVD player and main speakers. Even though my main purpose is for movies, the system will also be used for music as well. I will be in this house for 2-3 years, and then we are building a new house, so I don't want to spend a lot, because I will be going all out once I get the new place, so for the time being, I just need something small to do the job. My main speakers are Sony towers, I don't know the model number. They are not the greatest in the world, but they do pretty good for how hard I push them (when the wife is not home). Anyways, looking to spend about $500 for a basic HT receiver, a center channel, surrounds and a sub. Thanks for any input.

John

John S

Senior HTF Member
At that price point. Go for an Onkyo 770 system.

You get way to much, and it is all decent, that you will spend more and get less, almost any other way you go.

JohnBC

Auditioning
I have seen that system compared to on here with the Kenwood/Rocket Tykes system from av123. The Onkyo seems to have a lot more in the sub (220w powered vs. 100w powered), although I have read that the rockets are a better sound quality. Any thoughts and also, where is the best place to get one of these systems from? Thanks for the input.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Best place? Anywhere that has a good price... :)

Hmm, well you said you have some mains. With the existing mains and the Onkyo 770 system, you will have a ton of options on your speaker setups.

You can buy a 770 system, and replace the speakers and still be ahead cost wise is all, especially if you sell off the Onkyo stuff that you no longer need.

The Sub upgraded performance alone in the 770 system, makes it well worth it's cost. Performs very respectfully, even compared with non HTIB subs out there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks