What's new

HT magazines? (1 Viewer)

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
What are some "quality" HT based magazines out there that you guys enjoy? I am wanting to learn more and would like to read some reviews of new gear and such. Are there any magazines out there that are worthy of a subscription? Thanks for your opinions!

Mike

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Perfect Vision and Sound & Vision are both good, imo. Some say that S&V is too marketing oriented but I prefer the writing to PV.

I'd also recommend Widescreen Review for their discussion of Audio/Video standards and DVD reviews...very worthwhile.

Richard Travale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich Travale
Most will disagree but my passion for this hobby was kindled by Audio/Video Interiors. It was a lot of fluff but enjoyable nonetheless. Mind you, I have not picked up an issue in years.

I enjoy Sound & Vision as well as widescreen review.

Mike Matheson

Second Unit
Sensible Sound has pretty good reviews of many less expensive items.

I'm not found of Sound & Vision myself--IMHO, too commercial (i.e., I rarely find much of value in the reviews--problems may be glossed over or not disclosed; comparisons to other products seem more like Love Fests than true comparisons).

The Absolute Sound has had some good issues with HT related products.

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks guys. I'll check a couple out at the local B&N and maybe consider a subscription or two.

Mike

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
if you're just starting out, soundandvision is a great choice. they cover technical topic in easy to understand terminology. also, they review equipment that most users can actually afford. plus a year's subscription is like 15 bucks or something - dirt cheap.

for higher-end stuff, i like sght (stereophile guide to home theater).

i used to subscribe to a/v interiors - it's fun to look at all the setup, but they're reviews aren't very good. i won't renew.

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Can't forget "Home Theater" the magazine, their name is simple and to the point. I notice quite a few people probably subscribe to that one since they have an article about outdoor speakers this month, and I coincidentally have already seen 3 threads this week about them.

Tommy_N

Stunt Coordinator
I like Sound & Vision. Just remember any magazine that accepts advertising can be biased in their reviews. If you want an honest review pick up Consumer Reports, only problem is they only review entry level A/V equipment.

The articles in S&V are informative and educational. Some of the other magazines mentioned such as Audio/Video Interiors & Absolute Sound only seem to review really high end equipment.

HTH

Tom

TomMadden

Agent
Any magazine, whether they accept advertising or not can be biased in their reviews. It's human nature. I don't buy the line that because Consumer Reports doesn't accept advertising that they're not biased. Unless they're doing double-blind testing, there is always going to be some bias. For many products and tests, it isn't possble to do a double-blind test.

For example, most of the people who write here aren't paid or don't take manufacturer's money, but you can sure bet that many of them are biased. Some folks like different brands of equipment and they're not afraid to show it. For instance, I am biased towards harman/kardon amps and I am not afraid to say so. :) I do not work for them, I do not take any of their money, but I've had good luck with their products and I like the sound that comes out of them.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator

They don't review mid-fi equipment but entry-level hi-fi equipment costs about the same as the more expensive mid-fi brands. They recently recommended a $1500 5-channel amp. It depends on what you consider expensive, I guess.

chella

Stunt Coordinator
I read Sound & Vision, Stereophile Guide to Home-Theater, Prefect Vision. Of the this lot, I like S & V for their writing style, lab tests and informative article that is easy to read.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks