What's new
World Wide Stereo

HT in a box (1 Viewer)

SamSS

Auditioning
Im looking for an HT system for around 400$. So far the DVD/VHS Combination Home Theater HT-V600DP caught my eye. Keep in mind this is only for bedroom. Would like vcr included but not necessary if you know of a better system. Any suggestions?
First HT system BTW so i dont need to go all out. (although i would like to if i could afford it) :)

728x90

SamSS

Auditioning
thanks for the suggestions. ive ruled out the one with tower speakers because my room cannot accomodate them. Also, what kind of inputs do i need on my t.v. to hook this up. It is a 25" sharp, couple years old, im pretty sure all it has are 4 inputs, one for a vcr/antennae hookup and a set of the 3 yellow/red/white inputs for my gaming consoles.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jonathan Dagmar

Supporting Actor
any HTIAB will ship with a set of standard composite A/V cables, which will work with your TV.

To get the best quality you will want to use svideo or component cablles. It is unlikely that your tv supports component, but svideo is fairly likely.

The difference between componetn and svideo is not great. I recently compare the two, and i found that the component connection i usually use provides Significantly more colour saturation, but i was able to make the svideo connection look the same by cranking up the color setting on my tv a notch or two.

If your stuck with composite, well, that sucks, but it will still look miles beyond VHS.

Scott C Smith

Auditioning
Agreed. Onkyo makes a kick @ss system for the money. I have the predecessor the HT-S650 and I love it. Can't go wrong with this system for the price.

John S

Senior HTF Member
For $500 or so, you can really have a far more top notch system.

Good luck with your HT purchase.

John S

Senior HTF Member
Onkyo SR-501 from ecost - $185
Sony SA WM500 12" Sub from B&H - $135
Yamaha NS-6490 Bookshelfs - $70 per pair at etronics
(You need 2 pair for the full 6.1 setup)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
There have been a few threads in the past month or two that has people looking for HTiB's around $500, and where members have suggested various systems they can put together for the same price. Do a search...

Steve Adams

Second Unit
yep. I would never buy a HTIAB. peice a cheap system togheter and bammo, way better sound, more features and better if one thing breaks.

I would say get a KLH speaker system, a pioneer receiver, toshiba dvd player, and JVC vhs player.

KLH is like 69.00 on ebay,
Pioneer reciver cheaper one is like 150,
toshiba dvd cant be more then 100
and jvc vhs for like 80.

much better system and cheaper!

LindaLH

Auditioning
I just bought a Kawasaki 5-DVD/CD Home Theater System. It sounds pretty good but I'm pretty lost with all of the features. I've been trying to find some reviews to see if I got a good deal and if it's any good but no one seems to carry this brand anymore. I bought it at Target and it was the last one on the shelf. I could also use some tips on how to set it up. My husband was very frustrated trying to set this up because we have an RF modulator since we have an older t.v. and he could not figure out how to set this up. We want to be able to have surround sound when we use our VCR and Playstation as well but if he hooks up the vcr then we don't get the sound out of the tv. When he hooks up the tv, we don't get the sound out of the vcr. We also wanted to hook up the Playstation but there doesn't seem to be any room left for that. Any suggestions? Do we need some kind of switch to be able to use all of these? I would appreciate any advice you may have!

John S

Senior HTF Member
You really need a new TV....

If your VCR is stereo hi-fi, hook your antenna/cable input to it, hook it to the HTIB via analog audio.

Then run your playstation into the video inputs on the VCR.

If your VCR is mono, and your TV requires an RF Modualtor, then you are going to have to at least get a new cheapie stereo hi-fi VCR.

LindaLH

Auditioning
Hi thanks for the reply. I know we need a new tv for sure and are saving for that next. The VCR is mono but I do have another stereo vcr/dvd combo in another room I could bring out, but since this system came with a 5-dvd/cd changer it didn't make sense to bring out yet another dvd player. Now I'm wondering if I should have just bought a system without the dvd/cd changer and just a receiver with speakers to set up with my dvd/vcr combo I already own. I thought it would be great to have a home theater system but it's very confusing with all of the hook-ups. When my son tries to play his playstation, he unplugs the red/white/yellow cords from the RF modulator and plugs in his playstation and there is no sound. I'm just frustrated!

John S

Senior HTF Member
It can be, but try to calm down...

For sound, you have to first find a way to get, TV (even via a stereo hi-fi VCR), the playstation (even if connected trough the VCR), connected to your HTIB, the HTIB should have at least one video out for your TV, even if you have to use the rf modulator to see video from it.

Good luck with it all.

Nick Jablome

Agent

Haha that's what i got too. I use it in my living room for the tv in there. I hooked it up by taking some RCA cables (which should be included with the package) to my tv's "Video Out" and from there i went into one of the "AV" channels on the receiver thing. I have it going into the AV2 channel, because that way i can use my Playstation 2 in surround sound, and also whatever comes from my tv. I hooked a coaxial cable from my Digital Cable box into the receiver, that way i am using the "AV1" channel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kandids222
Recent bookmarks