What's new

ht area rebuild after fire (1 Viewer)

PatSloan

Agent
Group,

It just dawned on me, that I have a chance to start over right. On June 7th, I had a fire in my garage that gutted the garage and smoke damaged the rest of the house. It smoke damaged my whole ht area including my toshiba tv and dvd player etc.. The construction crew have already gutted the drywall and insulation and this would be the perfect time to start thinking on how to rebuild the area right. So that it includes some improvements for ht.

I don't have a lot of time to invest in researching things. Could anyone help out with some links to good sites that would help me make the most of this rebuild? I am also looking for any advice you guys might have.

I plan to go over today to take some photos to give an idea of what space I have. I will post them later today for everyone to see. Would that help?

Thanks in advance.

--pat

Mathew Shelby

Second Unit
Pat,
In order to help us help you, please describe the type of equipment you already own, what you will need to re-purchase, what your goals are etc.

PatSloan

Agent
The room where the ht was is 15 feet wide by about 30 feet long. The ht took up about half that. I made a windows paint file of it. See it attached.

I lost a toshiba 36 inch cimema searies tv. Toshiba sd-601c amp/dvd player. I had a pair of advent tower speakers as fronts and advent marbles as rears with no center. I also had a sony 12 inch powered sub.

The TV and the amp/dvd player were written off. They are going to try to save the speakers. I plan to replace the tv with a Toshiba 34HDX82 and the dvd player with Toshiba sd-3900 and a Harman Kardon AVR525Z.

Any suggestions? Are those components compatible?

I am also worried about the wiring and such, that I should get into the walls asap before they start reconstruction. I also want to lengthen one wall to increase the wall space for the tv, and give the bathroom behind a bit more space.

ht picture

Darren Mortensen

Stunt Coordinator
What are your expectations from this 15' x 30' area. Are you wanting or considering a dedicated room for theater use...or a media room...or a family/recreation area?

Wiring: I would suggest first wiring dedictated outlets for your audio/video equipment. I would also plan where you wish to place your speakers...then prewire for them as well using quality speaker cable.

Lighting: Recessed lighting or wall scounces need to considered, as well. This can add very attractive indirect lighting and dramatic direct lighting effects to the rooms ambience.

I would certainly consider adding a front projection system for a media room or dedicated theater. I would also consider enclosing the room with the addition of a new wall and doorway for a dedicated theater or media room.

PatSloan

Agent
... hmmm after browsing the board today... maybe I am not looking at a home theater. More of a rec room with a few features of a home theater room.

The room is not well suited to use as a true home theater. One wall not shown in the diagram is all windows and also has a fire place. And the room is not quite big enough to devide into two rooms with enough room each At least I don't think so. I might mark it out and see how it looks. Don't think my budget is big enough for a projection system...

I will definetly look into pre wiring for the speaker locations. Thanks for the tips.

--pat

PatSloan

Agent
Here is a picture of how the whole room is laid out.

layout link

I really want to make the most of it. Until now, I have not consider a front projector. But after researching the topic it does sound cool. Since I am replacing the tv and electronics it really is an option. My main concern is the layout and all the windows.

What would you guys do if you had this space? Right now it is all open to the studs, so theoretically I could do some changes.

Eric Stuckey

Second Unit
Real Name
Eric Stuckey
Pat

First let me say to you .. I am very sorry you home was damage by the fire.
And also I am in the same boat with you regarding windows & not being able to dedicate the hole room to HT. My HT is basicly our living room ( see link at bottom of post ).
I consider our living room 80% "My" HT and 20% our living room. Although my wife has said " Its 100% your room." If you look at my pictures you will see very little " woman stuff" :b
One thing I can advise you on is gets some room darking shades or even curtains for the windows. A thick pair of curtains can do wounders for a HT as well as a good qlty pad and carpet.It will obsorbe the sound waves wich is what you want. Hope this helps. Enjoy the HT re-build and thank Jesus no one was hurt.:)
My best to you!
Eric

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks