What accessories would I need? This is what I am looking at:

Speaker wire- 12, 14, or 16 gage?
HDMI Cable(s)- do I need 1 or 2?
Subwoofer Cable
Component Cable?
Optical Cable?
SPL Meter
AVIA Calibration Disc

I am new to HT so I apologize for the novice questions.
Is there anything else that I need? I am also looking for a receiver, but I will post this in that area. Thanks in advance for your help

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Much of what you will need depends on the receiver you end up with (HDMI switcher, up-converter or none at all) and how you will use the system (avr on all the time, watch tv with avr off, etc.) As for speaker wire, go with 12 g. It's not that much more than 14-16 and it last forever so get the right stuff the first time. Many new receivers have auto speaker setups, but my experience with a few of them has been less than satisfactory so I say get the setup disc and spl meter. That way you will know it's right. You can usually run the eq room correction part of the auto setup separately if you choose to use it. And a good quality but in-expensive sub cable from AR or monoprice.com (they also have 100' of 12g wire for >$30) and a good surge protector. Maybe some little rubber feet to put under those Ascends. After you settle on an avr, the video experts here can help with the rest.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Hi Tony. Welcome to HTF!

You seem to have thought of everything (the SPL meter and AVIA are things most people dont know about).

I agree with getting a spool of 12 ga wire.

I suspect you will need 3 HDMI cables. One from each device straight to the TV, and one from the TV to the receiver for more serious movie watching.

(You can run HDMI to the receiver, then 1 run to the TV, but people have experienced a 1-2 second delay when switching channels by going through the receiver. Going straight to the TV might make the system respond faster).

Good luck and let us know how things work out.

adlenoir

Auditioning
Real Name
Tony
Bob and Gene thank you very much for your help. Things have changed slightly. I picked up the Sony 1080P RP unit today instead of the Samsung. Great deal because it was same price as the 720P Samsung. I have decided to go with the Onkyo TX-SR674. Looks like a good middle of the road receiver. I will get 12 gauge wire and 3 hdmi cables (I think the Oppo comes with one) as you suggest. You guys have been great in helping me with all my decisions and showing me options that I didn't know existed. I will be putting everything together this week. One more question.

If I use the 3 HDMI cables then will I still need the optical and component cables?

Thank you again. You guys are great.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
I'm afraid I'm not up to speed on HDMI and what it's capable of, but I think if your display, dvd player, cable box and avr all support HDMI then you should be good to go for stereo and DD/DTS 5.1. But if you plan on enjoying the sacd/dvd-audio of your OPPO (and I hope you do) then you will also need three pairs of analog cables to go between your Onkyo and OPPO. If this is not accurate then hopefully someone will quickly correct me :) .

joseph westcott

Second Unit
Blue Jean Cables are my recommended venor. They provide clear and concise answers to cable questions andy why certain technology is used for certain applications. They are fairly priced and are of the highest quality. No snake oil here, just honest performance.

I suggest everyone go to their site. It is very informative, even if you decide to spend less on cables.

P.S. Belkin makes most everyones cables and Canare connectors are recognied as leaders in their field. Combine the two and you have a BJ cable. If your cable mfg does not state what he uses, you are probably buying an inferior product or it is overpriced.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks