Ordered the equipment - what's next?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by KrishnaS, May 16, 2004.

1. KrishnaS

KrishnaS Stunt Coordinator

Hi Guys - I just ordered a HK AVR 525 and a Pioneer 563a. I'm pumped! I'm also feeling a little overwhelmed with all the stuff that I need to do to set these things up. My last HT was set up by a custom installer - this one I'm going solo ....

So what cables and accessories do I need to pick up??

Should I invest in a SPL meter from Radio Shack? I'm not exactly sure how it works but that's another thread ...

Cables - I - for now - don't think cables can affect a system. At least not a budget system like mine. If I ever spend 20 g's on my HT I might consider expensive cables. For now, I am going to stick with Radio shack Gold cables. This is a list of what I *think* I need. What I don't know is what their exact names are and that's where I need your help so I know what to ask for at Radio Shack

1. S Video Cable x 2 - one from DVD player to receiver, one from receiver to TV.

2. Subwoofer cabble - allready purchased

3. Speaker wire - allready purchased

4. Cable from DVD player to receiver for DD/DTS - What is this called???

5. 6 analog cables from DVD player to receiver - what is this called and what exactly do I ask for???

That's all I think. Am I missing anything? Please make sure to give me the exact names for the cables so that I don't look totally stupid at the store. [​IMG]

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Will either be an optical cable or coax digital.

5. You dont need unless doing DVD-A/SACD

-V

3. KrishnaS

Vince, I do plan on using DVD-A and SACD. That's why I bought the player. What are the cables called?

4. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well, some places sell them as multi channel audio, or multichannel analog- but I don't think radio shack has a specific set of 6 channel audio now (could be wrong, havent been in th market)-- but you could just by 3 l/r pairs.

-V

5. Paul Stanley

Paul Stanley Stunt Coordinator

Aw man, use component cables from your DVD player straight to the TV. Don't use S Video cables for that unless you have to.

[​IMG]

6. KrishnaS

My TV doesn't have component in. It only has SVideo. That's why I was going to run it through my receiver.

7. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

If you have only one device attaching to your TV (in this case a DVD player), there is really no need to run the svideo connection through your receiver. The only exception I can think of is if your receiver has on screen menus for setup and configuration that will require you to connect it to your TV anyway.

8. KrishnaS

Yes, the receiver has on screen menus and I would have to connect it anyway. I also have a satellite receiver that I will probably be sending through the receiver. Are there any drawbacks in sending video through the receiver? In all the research I did it appears that the signal degredation isn't too much.

9. ClintS

ClintS Stunt Coordinator

I have always sent my video (Composite, Component, and Svideo) through my receiver, it works fine for me. If you see a problem then you may not want to do it.

For the multichannel cables I like www.bluejeanscable.com you can get the right number of connectors (6 for SACD) and they are different colors which helps with hookup. They offer almost any length and the connector/wire quality is top notch.