What's new

HP Lovecraft's "The Resurrected" coming to DVD September 20th (1 Viewer)

Will K

Screenwriter
Some shades of the old Artisan M.O., it appears. Normally, I wouldn't mind supporting a title to encourage a better release down the road, but a quicky, fullscreen, throwaway treatment--nope, not going to do it.

Lion's Gate is sitting on a number of other horror titles that should rate, at the very least, a 16x9 transfer with a trailer: Fright Night II and Bride Of Re-Animator to name two.

Dan M

Second Unit
does anyone know if this movie was originally 1.33:1 with the intention of being soft matted when shown theatrically to 1.85:1 ratio?

Or is it hard matte 1.85:1 and cropped at the sides in order to be full screen 1.33:1 on the dvd?

If it was soft matted in the theater I may purchase this title since I can zoom in on my projector and get a reasonable proximity to the intended OAR....but if its hard matted 1.85:1 and cropped on the dvd then forget it...no sale here..even if it is only $6.99... sheesh....

pan and scan shouldnt even be happening these days....

Phil Menard

Stunt Coordinator
For what its worth, the compositions don't seem to suffer when zoomed in to 1.78:1, in fact, I'd say it looks better than full frame. The headroom on one sequence (going into the manhole) looked a little tight, but the framing appears adequate when characters are lined up left to right.

My preference, your mileage may vary.

Phil

Dan M

Second Unit
Well Phil from the way you've described it, it would appear that maybe it was intended to be matted in the theater to 1.85:1.....a sure sign of hard 1.85:1 would be rather severe cropping at top and bottom if one were to zoom in on their display....

perhaps there is still a chance I may be pick this up after all....I enjoyed this movie but it's just not worth my hard earned money to see it pan and scanned...I didn't enjoy it THAT much....

Zooming is a last resort but sometimes one has to compromise. The Resurrected is a decent little horror flick...

Dan M

Second Unit
ok i got a look at this last night....

the transfer looks like someone merely took an old VHS copy and burned it onto a dvd......*sigh*

and you are right Michael, there appears to be no pan and scan as I believe this was soft matte 1.85:1 theatrically...

it was barely watchable but the price was el cheapo so.....

maybe they were just testing the water with this one...hopefully there will be a better presentation for this title down the road....

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks