"The Resurrected" (dir: Dan O'Bannon) might never get a US BD release?

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Michael
Some years back I had campaigned online to get Dan O'Bannon's "The Resurrected" released on DVD via Lionsgate. After many e-mails, phone calls with the guy who ran their home entertainment division, it got a DVD release in 2005 (all be it in a full screen only, bare bones version but whatever.)

Seemingly not long after it's release, it went out of print and to this day is unavailable on home video in the US. I kept trying and was promised Lionsgate had big plans for the title down the road as part of some focus on their HP Lovecraft titles. 10 years later has seen no such thing come about.

Since then Scream Factory has become a horror lovers best friend and have relentlessly written letters, e-mails, Facebook posts, etc, hoping they might acquire the rights to a deafening silence.

This year saw a rather impressive German only release of "The Resurrected." A multi-disc title with new, Scream Factory-esque packaging. Reviews are online, here's one:

http://www.dvdexotica.com/2015/04/can-we-have-resurrected-please-lghomeent.html

Naturally I'm salivating over such a release coming to the US and got me thinking maybe one is not far off so I went back to Scream Factory's Facebook page again asking if they would at least look into the mere possibility of them releasing it on blu-ray. To my surprise I finally got a response. Here is a direct quote,

"Sorry we can't get this one. We are told there are music issues apparently."

I'm trying to wrap my head around that one. Music issues? I don't recall any actual songs used in the film that would cause clearance issues, red tape, money problems, etc. Just the actual score of the film itself (which I own on the CD by the way. Good stuff.) Aren't scores typically part of the film itself, hiring a composer to write it and then it becomes property of the studio or producers? Why could this be an issue?

Thoughts/comments?

SWFF

Screenwriter
Reaction score
Real Name
Shawn Francis
Ah-ha! So you're the guy we have to thank for getting this flick on DVD. This has always been one of my favorite Lovecraft flicks and it's sad to hear it has some mysterious music issues. And what other Lovecraft flicks did or does Lionsgate own? Most of the ones I'm still a fan of MGM owned and Shout! has or is going to release them. It looks like at some point I'm gonna have to get that overseas release then.

Bob Cashill

Producer
Reaction score
"Apparently" is the key word here. Still to be determined. I can however recommend the German release. (Which, now that I have it, means a US one will appear shortly... :))

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MotorMikey