What's new

Blu-ray Review HTF BLU-RAY REVIEW: Alien Anthology (1 Viewer)

David Wilkins

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Christian Preischl

This issue has been popping up with the box set as well. I thought Oppo had already released a firmware update that fixes it. Do you have the latest firmware for your player installed?

Two things: (1) I thought I had the most recent firmware. (2) Firmware hadn't entered my head, because I didn't realize firmware could result in a problem that finky.

But yes, Christian, thank you for suggesting. That was the problem, and now it plays perfectly.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
I was waiting patiently for those and found out that a lot of the extras arent transfered from the box set.

Mind you,some terrific ones like commentaries and isolated scores are still there..

So between 60.00 for the three first ones and the box set dropped from 119.00 to 74.00,i went with the box set.

I just wish those 12.000 images could be printable in some way.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
^ For your future reference, for many BD sets, the UK is your wallet's best friend. For example, that Alien Anthology box could be imported for just over CDN$32 (all in) from the UK. It is pretty complete compared to the original DVD set, though there *could* be something smaller I didn't notice missing.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Thanks CraigF,

i got a buddy that orders quite a lot and checks all the special deals on Amazon and Barnes and Noble,but im in the "you win some,you lose some" kind of view,and so my theory is

it all balances out in the end.

For instance,the other day,walked into an HMV and in the bin found all 3 2-disc Pirates for 10 bucks each.But the actual set a few feet away was still 69.00.

When Planet earth was 100 dollars,i found the bluray version in a video store for 40.

montrealfilmguy

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ben Weaver
Okay,so i watched that Dallas cocoon scene aaaannnnnnnnnddddd....

it creeps me out to no end.

It feels just so real that the poor fella would seem he's barely conscious and able to just whisper a few words.

C'mon woman ! just take him out of his misery already.

also,that creepy somber lighting doesn't help one bit.

Brrrrr

Eric_R.

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by robbbb1138

I finally watched the Burke Cocooned deleted scene. I can't tell if it was cut because of Reiser's acting, because Ripley apparently trusts him to not detonate that explosive until she's walked a safe distance away, or because of what it does to the pacing of her search for Newt, but I can tell why that and the snippets in the deleted scenes montage were all never restored to the movie (especially that bit where Newt tries to run off again after the Marines find her).

There was no way the facehugger could have done it's job in such little time.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I watched the first one with my 15 year old son today. He's a year older than I was when I saw it opening night Spring of 1979. That audience of 2000 I saw it with at the Big Edwards Newport Cinema in 70mm (it was a blow up, I know) screamed as one many times that night. There was high anticipation and lots of ads, but the secrets were kept and I don't think anyone there knew what was going to hit them. What a film. Still good. Signorney Weaver is excellent. How old was she for the first one? Late 20s? The whole cast is great. Veronica Cartright from The Birds does panic like no one else.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I envy you that Edwards/Newport experience. Only film I ever saw there was Round Midnight in late 1986 or thereabouts.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Chas in CT

I envy you that Edwards/Newport experience. Only film I ever saw there was Round Midnight in late 1986 or thereabouts.

Yeah, It's a great theater, isn't it. I saw Logan's Run, Star Wars, Empire, Lawrence of Arabia, and all sorts of other movies there....

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
I love Goldsmith's music for the original. It says on my disc (the separate release) that I have the isolated score, but I can't seem to get it to play. Any suggestions?

Ted Van Duyn

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by benbess

I love Goldsmith's music for the original. It says on my disc (the separate release) that I have the isolated score, but I can't seem to get it to play. Any suggestions?

Have you cycled through the audio options while the movie is playing?

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Ted Van Duyn

Have you cycled through the audio options while the movie is playing?
Ted: That's it! Many thanks. Now I can listen to this while doing the dishes without scaring my 9 year old daughter....

Does anyone know which exact part of the score was lifted from another score that Goldsmith wrote, I think for the film Freud in the early 60s??

Brisby

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Knaus
Originally Posted by benbess
Does anyone know which exact part of the score was lifted from another score that Goldsmith wrote, I think for the film Freud in the early 60s??

The scenes with the facehugger acid blood burning through the floor of the med lab and Dallas meeting his end in the air shaft feature cues from Goldsmith's Freud score. Ironically, a cue from Goldsmith's Alien score was later tracked into Aliens.

benbess

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ben
Originally Posted by Brisby

The scenes with the facehugger acid blood burning through the floor of the med lab and Dallas meeting his end in the air shaft feature cues from Goldsmith's Freud score. Ironically, a cue from Goldsmith's Alien score was later tracked into Aliens.
Thanks very much. Do you know if that Freud film is any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks