What's new
Signup for GameFly to rent the newest 4k UHD movies!

HP Lovecraft's "The Resurrected" coming to DVD September 20th (1 Viewer)

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Help bring the best (and most faithful) H.P Lovecraft adaptation to DVD by signing the online petition found at;
http://www.petitiononline.com/TRDVD/petition.html
The film was directed by Dan O'Bannon ("The Return of the Living Dead", "Alien") and stars Chris Sarandon ("Fright Night").
Once a suitable number of signatures have been added, the petition will be submitted to Artisan Entertainment.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Scott Bell

Stunt Coordinator
Mike, what a great suggestion. This has been in my top ten favorite horror movie list since I first saw it. Count me in.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed In the Mouth of Madness more actually. Not taken from any Lovecraft short story, but done in the same style. But I'll sign anyway, the more films on DVD the merrier. I just hope it gets a digital restoration first.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
An interesting note....

when I asked Dan O'Bannon about maybe doing something for a possible DVD release of "The Resurrected", he said something along the lines of "That would take a lot of work."

When I inquired further, he said that after he finished putting together the film, the scumbag (my words, not his) producers went in and completely re-edited the film, often using different takes thereby changing the flow of the entire film.

He'd obviously like to re-cut the film to his vision but considering Artisan owns the movie, I doubt that'd happen. If that was the case, I honestly don't know if Dan would even want to be involved as the version we've all seen isn't really Dan's version but the producers.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Help bring the best (and most faithful) H.P Lovecraft adaptation to DVD by signing the online petition found at;
http://www.petitiononline.com/TRDVD/petition.html
The film was directed by Dan O'Bannon ("The Return of the Living Dead", "Alien") and stars Chris Sarandon ("Fright Night").
Once a suitable number of signatures have been added, the petition will be submitted to Artisan Entertainment.
Please sign the petition and then inform as many other Lovecraft and horror fans to do the same. Thanks. We can do better than the 52 signatures it has so far.......

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
2003 is quickly approaching guys, there's still time to pressure Artisan to release "The Resurrected" on DVD. Please don't just sign the petition but find a few minutes to write Artisan a letter asking for the DVD. Their address;

Artisan Entertainment Inc.

2700 Colorado Avenue

Santa Monica, CA 90404

or call them at: 310-449-9200

This is a small film and unless it gets some kind of support, we may never see it on DVD! Tell every Lovecraft fan you know, spread the news to any related forum/web site/newsgroup.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Hey guys, click on the 'Resurrected' link in my signature, there's a banner for the campaign you can add to your web sites!

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
Well, my email addess is [email protected]
So, yes I signed the petition.
For those who havnt seen the movie, its actually a pretty good horror movie, and its probobly the most accurate Lovecraft adaptation I've seen.
So, it seems like the situation with the DVD is: The director hates the studios re-edit, and he won't participate in a DVD unless he can create an original directors cut... and thats not likely since the minimal profits would make it unprofitable.
Well... we can always hope!
Nick

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
and he won't participate in a DVD unless he can create an original directors cut...

Well no, Dan O'Bannon never said that. He would still particiate with the DVD if it was the current cut being used but he'd *prefer* to re-edit the film.

Julie K

Screenwriter
I'd really like to see Out of Mind: The Stories of HP Lovecraft on DVD. It's a combination documentary/Lovecraft adaptation. Intercut with segments of HPL discussing his writings and philosophies is the story of a modern-day man named Randolph Carter who inherits an evil-looking book and starts having odd and disturbing dreams after reading it (will they never learn?). Eventually the two threads come together as Carter and HPL meet in the Dreamlands. (There is a most amusing scene that I won't spoil, but I'd love to...) The guy who plays Lovecraft looks amazingly like him and the B&W footage of him is quite convincing.
While I would love to see The Resurrected on DVD, Out of Mind is the best Lovecraft-themed film I've seen. All Lovecraft fans should check this out, even if it is just on VHS.

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
About 2 weeks ago I finally made a real connection at Artisan, specifically a lady by the name of Anne Durante, assistant to Steve Beeks, president of Artisan Home Entertainment.

Earlier this afternoon, Mr. Beeks returned my call but as luck would have it, I was not home. I tried calling him back but he was in a meeting.

I will try again tomorrow, keep your fingers crossed!

Nick_Scott

Second Unit
I'd really like to see Out of Mind: The Stories of HP Lovecraft on DVD.
While we are making requests....

I'd love to have the Lovecraft Filmfestival Collections on DVD rather then VHS. The quality of my VHS tapes is getting pretty bad.

Its probobly not cost effective to have a glass-master made, but DVD-Rs are super cheap these days!

However, Artisan has no excuse. I would be perfectly happy to find a barebones DVD of Ressurected in WalMarts $5.88 bin!

Nick

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Lions Gate now owns Artisan! Anyway, here's an update;

Some good news kids! I heard back from Ann Durante today (she's the assistant to president Steve Beeks) and here's what she told me. She said that Mr. Beeks hasn't forgotten about "The Resurrected", it's just that things got put on the backburner because of the Lions Gate deal. However, he is currently looking into sales numbers and will pursue Dan for a DVD release, so yes he's actively checking into it!

I called Dan briefly about this today and he's looking forward to it.

Looks like "The Resurrected" will get resurrected on DVD afterall!

However, KEEP WRITING LETTERS AND E-MAILS! They must know there is a market for this movie!

Lions Gate Entertainment

4553 Glencoe Avenue, Suite 200

Marina Del Ray, California 90292

Michael Allred

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
Found this on another web site which give you an idea of what's "missing" from the current cut of "The Resurrected";

Before the producers got their hands on it, The Resurrected was called The Ancestor and featured many deleted scenes:

The opening sequence was much different, and set the tone for the rest of the film.

Step-printing was used to give the audience the feeling of time slowing down.*

There is no opening narration by John Marsh, opting for an overhead shot of Providence.

There were more dream sequences, many of which give the feeling that Curwen was actually reaching out to the minds of John March and Jane Ward. In the first sequence, John is tortured by Curwen, disguised as Dr. Ash, with a scalpel, while intercut with*footage of an autopsy. The second dream sequence shows Curwen, again disguised as Dr. Ash, holding the severed head of Jane Ward.*

After Charles (secretly Curwen) is pronounced insane, there is a love scene between Jane and John. As she tells him how safe she feels in his arms, they accidentally break a picture of the Wards.*

Several extended scenes in the catacombs reveal torture equipment employed by Ward to extract secrets from other resurrected magicians. This would've also explained why he kept the creatures alive in his catacombs: he did not have both halves of the formula, he couldn't turn them back to their original form (namely, ashes).

The subplot of the wild dogs in the hills was more developed.*

A shot of John March discovering Ward's skeleton and matching the skull's teeth to a snapshot of Charles smiling.

Another cut scene, revealing Jane to be pregnant, was going to lead in to a planned sequel, The Resurrected 2: Ashes to Ashes. Cthulhu was even going to make a cameo.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hilogisticz
Recent bookmarks