What's new

HP LC3760N input question(s) (1 Viewer)

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
So, after some back and forth, my wife and I decided to go ahead and pick up this 37" LCD made by Hewlett Packard. Right now we are still using the old cable box we had but I'll call Adelphia and upgrade to the HD box and that should improve our regular tv picture (right?).

My question is about the inputs. There are 5 inputs on this tv:
1 - Component (can also take composite)
2 - Component (same)
3 - S-Video (same)
4 - HDMI (with separate audio inputs)
5 - HDMI

Right now, this is what I have connected:
1 - DVD (component; Toshiba SD-1200)
2 - Xbox 360 (component)
3 - VCR (composite)
4 - nothing
5 - nothing

I have a PS2 I wanted to hook up to the tv, but I'm using composite connections for it and there are no open composites left on the tv. I also just read another message that made me think that the HD cable box shouldn't be connected to the tv using the coaxial connection (right?).

So, what do I do to get everything on this one tv? I was thinking I could get a new dvd player with upconversion, which would end up using one of the HDMI inputs. That would free up a component connection I could then use for the PS2. The only thing is that if the HD box needs that connection the PS2 is still out of luck. I suppose I can try to find out from Adelphia when I schedule them to come out to switch boxes if there is an HDMI on the box. The prospect of buying a new dvd player and two hdmi cables isn't going to sit well with my wife....

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
There are plenty of switchers on the market that will take inputs from several sources and provide you with one outputs of the same type. Some will even convert from one type to another, but they tend to be a bit more expensive. Many of these switchers have remotes so you don’t have to get up and make a physical change. There are several that will switch several different types of connections. There are many, many of these switches, so you should be able to find one that suits your needs.

I don’t know the specs of your new cable box, but almost for sure if it is HD cable you will want to connect via component connections. This would mean that you need another component input Of course if the cable box has an HDMI output, you will only need an inexpensive switch to connect the composite inputs from your VCR and PS2. If not then you can make everything work with a switch box that will switch both composite and component connections.

Personally if I were buying an up-converting DVD player, I’d put the money into one of the HD player. The reports are pretty favorable as to their up-converting capabilities—of course this might not work well with your wife.

James_Kiang

Screenwriter
Thanks Lew. I've seen both the HD-DVD and BluRay set ups at Best Buy, but yes, that goes well beyond what my wife would want to spend.

I just contacted the cable company and set up an appointment for them to install the hd box. It does have HDMI, so I'll pick up a cable and that won't be an additional problem. I'm still thinking I'll get an HDMI dvd player, which would then free up the component input for the PS2.

One question (or two) about HDMI cables. At Best Buy, the cheapest ones are still over $60. When I checked a couple of the HTF sponsors, I found cables for just a bit over $20. Any reason not to save all that money? And, while I don't mean to create any drama, which is the better vendor - Ram or Blue Jeans?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks