What's new

How's your cable modem access? (1 Viewer)

Michael Silla

Second Unit
I'm jealous of all you cable subscribers. I remember some of the insane D/L speeds I used to get when I lived closer to Salt Lake. In my area, AT&T still hasn't gotten aorund to installing the fiber optic lines so I basically am screwed.

Right now I have Earthlink DSL ($49/month). They advertise 1500/128 but I regularly get 1250/320 which is not too shabby in my book. It is ALMOST good enough to make me forget some of the insane dowloads I used to get with cable for less money a month.

Michael.

R

RossTerry

2002-08-05 00:03:05 EST: 2421 / 325
Your download speed : 2421633 bps, or 2421 kbps.
A 295.6 KB/sec transfer rate.
Your upload speed : 325432 bps, or 325 kbps.
Seems like broadband .. above the 1mbit barrier!

from DSLreports

im happy

R

RossTerry

i dont know what to think of this, but its from a local test:

Your Results
Loaded 1356258 bytes in 0.661 seconds.
Your throughput is 16667 kilobits per second

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
just got surewest.net dsl installed. pretty happy...paying about 45/month.

i don't remember the numbers now, but dsl reports gave me a very favorable reading. the guy who intalled the dsl was even surprised.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Wow, that IS expenive.. i have Telus ADSL, (1.5Mbit download, 512Kbit upload), and it only costs me $34.95CAD a month... With speed tests, i get around 1.0-1.3Mbits/sec frequently.

Peter McDonald

Stunt Coordinator
We also have Telus ADSL. But we pay for the "Office" package, the package is 2500/640. Usually 2200-2400 down, but we do get 640 up. $50/month Canadian, that would be around $30-$35 American. $70 for the modem, cables, and microfilters PLUS self install (no need to wait for someone to install it).

Peter

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
I'd be thrilled to get ANY kind of broadband service here. I am 6 miles away from the closest central office so I'm out of range for DSL and no one offers cable access here. The only way I could touch broadband is to go wireless with a dish, but that's a bit too expensive for my blood.
I'm connecting to my dial-up at 26.4k but only getting a download rate of a whopping 1.2k/s and peak time gives me about 0.8k/s. :frowning:

JasenP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jasen
If you have cable TV service, contact your cable company about a package deal with broadband service. My local provider (Charter) wasn't very upfront about the package deals until I flat out asked for on
I am very spoiled now, I could never go back to dial-up.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
I am very spoiled now, I could never go back to dial-up.
I agree. Once they get you to try it, you're hooked. I initially had a six-month trial at $19.95/month. Despite the fact the the monthly cost was going to be more than double that afterwards ($45.95), there was no question that I was going to stick with it. In fact, if I was forced to go back to dial-up for some reason, I think I'd just decide to do without home access altogether. :)
As for people that say they get free television service with their cable Internet service, count your blessings. Of all the friends and family I've talked to throughout the country, none of them get "free" television service. At best, the Internet service is discounted five or six bucks a month if you also carry a television package. On top of my $45.95 Internet charge, I'm also paying $33/month for extended basic television coverage. I have heard from a few people that they ordered the Internet service and ran a splitter to the TV and are getting free television service, though I haven't tried this myself. I am tempted just to call and cancel my basic television package just to see if the channels "stick around." ;)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
My thoughts exactly, once you've had a taste of high-speed access, you'll never want to go back to a crummy dial-up connection. My cable access is nice and fast. It's $39.95/month CAD which, to me, is a small price to pay. :D

MichaelG

Second Unit
Sometimes my cable modem is very fast, I have seen downloads over 300kb/sec, but recently we have seen some serious laggggggggg. Must be the bandwidth/users issue. We called Time Warner to voice a complaint at least. Most of the time it's very good though.

Bac Bradley

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still on dialup. I can't warrant spending $50 a month for something not reliable...I'll just do all my net work from the office on the T1 :)

Randy_Sh

Stunt Coordinator
Well, I am on ATT Broadband and consistently score in the "INSANE" level from dslreports.

Problem is that when I do have service issues, they are bad. Meaning, some days, we get dropped a lot. Problem is, I just don't lose the connection and reacquire one. My PC gets looked up, have to hard reboot and by the time that is done it is about a 5 minute cycle. This really irks my wife since she is on-line job hunting during the day...

I bought the modem and pay about 35 a month. The modem is a Motorola and the ATT service guy said that I could expect better service with a Toshiba modem. Grrr...I bought the modem they recommended. Oh well...I am not going to complain too much...having the phone line available and the download speeds are pretty darn nice...

Michael*K

Screenwriter
Randy, I have AT&T as well and have had no problems with the 3Com modem I'm using. Surprised AT&T didn't recommend one. In fact, one of the reasons I'm hesitant to buy my own modem (current price on the 3Com model I have is about $175) is because I don't want to risk a slowdown or dropped connections.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Having cable modem access the closest thing to crack use that I will experience in my life (voluntarily). :)
I have ATT Broadband and it cost around $45, but I get to expense it at work, so it cost me nada for now.

Matt_R

Stunt Coordinator
Here in Bergen County, NJ we're lucky to have Optimum Online for our service provider. I get 10Mb/1Mb speeds for 39.99 month! Can't beat it. I've seen 1 megaBYTE per second at some sites... insane speeds. I used to pay 89.99 for 1.5/384!

LewB

Screenwriter
I have cable modem service from Optimum Online also. It rocks ! I used to despise the cable company, now I just hate them :D :D
It's costing me $34.95 a month, I get a discount from the regular $49.95 a month due to my level of cable service. I bought the modem used from the cable company for $40.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
In the evenings I regularly get 600Kbytes/sec from easynews.com (2 transfers at 300Kbytes/sec), which is roughly 5 megabits/sec, on my cable modem.

Pretty damn spiffy to me!

$45/month CDN after taxes and an extra IP address.

AaronNWilson

Second Unit
Canada seems to be renowned for providing faster cable connections than the states. I got around 4.75 megabit downloads when I had cable. However the speed wasn't anywhere near as important to me as the reliability was. Block sync problems everyday equals no thanks.

Since switching to 1.5 megabit adsl there is virtually no such thing as down time. I'm talking T1 reliability here.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks