Rotel RSX-1065

Speakers
B&W DM601 S3 x 2 (Main)
B&W LCR60 S3 (Center)
B&W DM600 S3 x 2 (Rear)
B&W ASW600 (Subwoofer)

DVD
Rotel RDV-1080

What do you guys think? Good enough to get me started? I have a 350 sq. ft. room and looking to use this to watch movies and listen to music.

Another possible option:

Pre/Pro
Rotel RSP-1066

Amp
Rotel RMB-1075

Speakers
B&W DM603 S3 x 2 (Main)
B&W LCR600 S3 (Center)
B&W DM600 S3 x 2 (Rear)
B&W ASW675 (Subwoofer)

DVD
Rotel RDV-1080

Do you think I really need a pre/pro amp and floor-standing speakers? Even though I really like the second setup, I really don't want to spend the extra money cause it's quite a bit more.

Some people tell me otherwise, but I think the first system could suffice.

What do you all think?

Thank you in advance for you advice.

Regards,
Kenny

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, Kenny. I've moved your post to one of the equipment-related sections (the one that best accommodates questions related to entire systems). The Basics area is for asking the most basic kinds of A/V-related questions, not for specific model recommendations. Best of luck.

Kenny Li

Agent
Sorry about that. Thanks Jack. BTW, this is an awesome forum. It has definitely helped me a great deal.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
That's your first dip into HT?? Well you're going all out :) . One thing, you may be putting a little too much emphasis on electronics. You may want to consider the Rotel 1055 if you like the rotel line. It has nearly the exact same processing as the 1066 pre-pro and many people get it to use stricly as a pre-pro because it costs less than the 1066 even with the onboard amplification. It would also let you use the onboard amps and add outboard amps on down the road if you feel the need. A good rule of thumb, but not a stone rule, is to spend twice as much on speakers as you do on electronics. Speakers make a ton more difference in how a system sounds.

There are also more cost effective DVD players that offer superior performance. Give the Denon 2900 a look. Don't confine yourself to having all your electronics components from the same manufacturer. Your display may help in selescting an appropriate DVD as well (DVI or Component only, fixed pixel, etc...)

Also, I think you can get a better sub for the money. Take a look at what SVS and HSU have to offer. The Adire Rava is also about the best sub you can get under $500. While all your speakers should be matched from the same brand and line for timbre matching, the subwoofer does not need to be.

An overall budget might help people out in making recomendations. Providing room dimensions and music/movie preferences is a good start and more than alot of first time posters provide.

Good luck with your system :)

Kenny Li

Agent
Thanks Stephen. Yes, this is my first dip into HT. After reading everyone's suggestions, I have actually decided to go with:

Receiver
Denon AVR-3803

Speakers
B&W DM603 S3 x 2 (Main)
B&W LCR60 S3 (Center)
B&W DM600 S3 x 2 (Rear)

I will look around more on subwoofers. Actually, another person also suggested that I switch subwoofers too and he also suggested SVS and another brand, so I'll definitely look into subwoofers. Unfortunately, I think you have to buy SVS and HSU direct, and so they are not available in Hong Kong. Any suggestions on other brands I can consider? JBL, Energy, Paradigm, Klipsch? These are a few brands I can think of that are available here.

How's this update? I think it might be more in line with the 2x more on speakers. Actually, someone said in these boards that I should not go for the Rotels beacause I could go with a cheaper receiver that will do just as well (he suggested the Denon) and spend more on the speakers, thus my switch to the floorstanding B&Ws for the front. Plus, I found out that the with the B&W stands, the 603 cost just a little more than USD 100 more than the 601.

Let me know what you think and feel free to offer more suggestions.

Thanks,
Kenny

Rich Wenzel

Supporting Actor
i think your most recent system is much more cost effective...

in your price range for the 3803, i would also look at some of the marantz (7400), yamaha (2400), nad (752), and H&K...there are a lot choices...im not saying the denon is bad, but you should see whats out there...

for the money, i would look at the rotel 1055 as well, its a bit more, but its a very good piece...

keeping it under 1k, i would probably go with the nad or the yamaha, you can actually get a nad t762 for under $1k as well...

also, i hope you listened to more than just the B&W's...there are lots of speakers in your price range that you could listen to....triangle, kef, mirage, paradigm, psb, klipsch, etc. etc...

if you already have and decided that you want to keep the B&W, i think your are wise to spend a little extra on the floorstanders versus paying for the stands...get more performance that way....

also, and most importantly, on a starter system, go with a cheaper dvd player...for under $150, you can get an onkyo 301 which should be very competitve on cd and video front with the rotel....if you need a universal, look at the denon 2200 and the marantz 6400...if you really feel the need to stay with rotel, they have the 1060 which is more recent (the 1080 is an out of production model) and the 1040 to come out very soon...might want to consider them...

also, try to get a 10% discount off of list on the B&W and the Rotel...thats normal, no reason to not ask for it, especially since you are buying so much...on denon, marantz, nad, h&k, and others, you should expect an even bigger discount...like 20+%

Rich

Kenny Li

Agent
Thanks Rich. Just one question. It says on the catalog that the Rotel RSX-1055 is a 75x5 receiver. Is that enough if I go for the B&W DM603 S3?

I think you're right about the floorstanding speakers. So far, everyone has told me to go for floorstanders, so I think that's what I'll do.

Yeah, I am looking at other speakers too. And will also check out the other amps you suggested

Thanks,
Kenny

Kenny Li

Agent
Rich, I just went to the store and they said that the Rotel RSX-1055 is not available in Hong Kong. According to them, it's because it does not have enough power. What do you think? It looks pretty sweet on their website though.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks