What's new

How's the audio section on the Denon DVD-2200? (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Anyone have one yet? I haven't seen any reviews or feedback. The 2900 won't fit in my setup and I'm considering settling for the 2200. Primary concern is audio quality; DVD-A, Redbook, SACD & DVD DTS/DD concerts in that order. Video performance is important but a secondary concern. I know I'm describing the 2900 but the monster is too tall, even with the legs removed. Any other uni-players ($600max) out there I should be considering? Height MUST be 4” or smaller. Here’s my setup:

Toshiba 35”
harman/kardon AVR 525
X-Box (replacing)
JBL S310-II's
JBL S-Center II
JBL S36-II's (rears)
Velodyne CHT-12
23'x18'x14' (LxWxH)

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
I got one a couple of weeks ago on sale for $499.95 and I am more than pleased with it as a DVD player, and as a CD player. I was previously using an older Denon CD changer but the performance of the 2200 is superior in every respect.
When I was shopping I was fully prepared to spend the $$ for the 2900 but the salesman told me that the difference between the two was so slight that most people would never be able to tell the difference and he wasn't able to justify the difference in cost. I'm pretty sure that some one on this forum was able to speak to a Denon rep in Indianapolis and was also told that most people were not able to tell the difference.
I auditioned both units and in the end I just couldn't justify the $500.00 price difference for performance gains that as far as I could tell only existed on paper. I did also audition a Pioneer in the same price range (the model escapes me right now) and the Denon had it beat hands down.
That is only my subjective opinion based on my experience.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Jim: Thanks for the feedback! So I take it you haven't used the DVD-A or SACD functions yet? Also, this unit IS less than 4" tall, right?

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I auditioned the 2900 and I can say that it is definitely better with SACD, smoother and more full, but that is not to say that the 2200 is a bad player at all. For the price, it is an excellent video player and the audio is very good (and the 2900 is ~2x the cost). So, IMO, if you are looking more for audio performance, I'd consider the 2900. The Burr-Brown DACs are awsome.

I spent some time over the last few days comparing the 2200 to my Sony 222ES with SACDs (2ch only) and the 222 is also better than the 2200, but I still cannot fault the 2200 for it's performance. I highly recommend this player. It will easily outperform the x-box in audio and video.

I don't own any DVD-As, so I can't comment on that portion.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
John: I wish the 2900 would fit but I've been told the unit is 4.75" tall, even with the legs removed.

Jim Rakowiecki

Stunt Coordinator
Actually I have used the SACD and DVD-A functions, I stopped and picked some up on my way home, but I have no frame of reference. That being said I love both DVD-a and SACD.
I honestly couldn't distinguish between the two but that's just me. If you can and have the $$ to spend on the 2900 then go for it I know you won't be dissapointed. I am also pretty confident that you would be hard pressed to find a better piece in the price range and you wouldn't regret a 2200.
I also have to be realistic and I know that I am somewhat limited by the rest of my system which may not allow me to hear the difference so the choice I made was right for me.
As for the Height the specs in the manual say that it is 3-31/32 inches tall which is just barely under your 4 inch requirement.
Just for reference.
Denon 3803 reciever
Boston Acoustics VR975 fronts
Boston Acoustics VR910 Center
Boston Acoustics bravos in back
Subs are integral in the Mains.

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
I also recently picked up a 2200 and the sound with SACD's is very smooth. But in comparison to my CD player which is connected to my receiver via digital coax the 2200 w/SACD is lacking slightly in the dynamics department. It may have been the recording. I've watched a few DVD's and The video quality blows my previous DVD player away. All in all its a keeper but now I'm curious to hear how SACD sounds over iLink.

Doug_B

Screenwriter
John,

If you find that the 2200 height is not OK and can't find other universal players meeting your height and audio quality requirements, you may want to consider purchasing a so-called "lesser" model (meeting your height reqt) and getting it modded. For example, there's more than 1 modder who works on the Pioneer Elite 45A and the non-Elite 656A. Depending on the level of mod, it may raise the audio quality beyond the Denons you mention. For example, see here and here.

Doug

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Matt: Thanks for the feedback!

Doug: Hadn't really considered that option but that's a good point. Mmmmm.......just checked the specs on the 45A and it is over 4" in height. But maybe with the legs removed.......it could work.

Maybe.......I should also consider removing the legs from my HK525 as well......hehehe........j.k.!

Drew_W

Screenwriter
This is quasi-related to the audio section...how adequate (or not) is the internal bass management system on the 2200?

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
I got these dimensions from the OneCall website.

Weight (Pounds): 5.8
Depth (Inches): 11

Height (Inches): 4.2
Width (Inches): 16.6

Thanks Doug!

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
Truly I couldn't tell ya' cause 80hz is too high a crossover frequency for my music listening tastes So I set my fronts on the 2200 to large.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I haven't used multi channel yet, since I only have one set of multi-channel inputs on my receiver and they are being used by my 222ES, so I have not played with the settings (I'm also using large).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I picked up a DVD-A this week just to try it out, and I have to say that I am actually very impressed with the sound quality of the format and this player. Better than I expected. Not quite the resolution of a well done SACD, but still very, very good.

Now the bad news - I came across my first disc that exhibited the Interlaced Chroma Problem (not CUE) very clearly on a few heavy red/black scenes, just like the 2900 is reported to because of the Sil504. Otherwise, it has a very impressive video section.

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
John: "I don't know jack" about SACD's, but it appears that a lot of people on this forum prefer that format over DVD-A. The only reason I have a few, is because they would play on my X-box. Guess I need to widen my horizons. Thanks for the feedback!

TrevorS: Modded players are beyond my budget. Good link though, it made for interesting reading. It's amazing to me that even a great uni-player like the 2900, would STILL need to be modded. With my setup I honestly don't think I could tell the difference between a 2200 or a modified 2900. IMO.....I don't think I have the "Audiophile" ear that might be necessary.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks