What's new

New Denon 2900 sounds a little thin on SACD/multichannel playback. (1 Viewer)

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
This seems to be the case on several multichannel SACD's I have. Just bought the 2900 Saturday. Hooked it up to my H/K 525 and I am using the “6 Channel Direct” input. I have the following setup in the “Audio Setup”...“Speaker Config”:

Front sp: Large
Center sp: Small
Subwoofer: Yes
Surround: Small
Filter: On

DVD-A sound seems fine. Before installing the 2900 my system was calibrated using Avia and an RS meter at 85db. On installing the 2900, I used the “Manual” test tones and only had to adjust the rears slightly. Should I recalibrate and send the Avia pink noise through the "6 channel direct" connections? I'm sure I’m missing something. Any suggestions. Thanks!

Setup:

Toshiba 35" TV (s-video)
Harman/Kardon AVR 525
Denon DVD-2900
JBL S310-II's
JBL S-Center II
JBL S36-II's(rears)
Velodyne CHT-12(sub)
23'x18'x14'(LxWxH)room

Doug_B

Screenwriter
How about letting the unit break in first. I have heard a difference for multiple source players in the past before vs after break-in. It's hard to recommend a specific time, even for different instances of the same model, but others who own the 2900 may be able to give you a guideline.

Doug

John Pine

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Pine
Thanks for the feedback Doug! I'm running the unit in a loop right now, but it's only been 2 days!

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Have you tried setting the mains to small? While you front speakers have a respectable 37hz response, you may be missing on quite a bit of deep bass from the fronts. Also, the 2900 uses different slopes for the crossover frequency for SACD.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks