What's new

How well have Hercules and Xena been selling? (1 Viewer)

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I've noticed that on later Herc and Xena sets, Anchor Bay has dropped the SRP and cut down on extras quite a bit. Have they not been selling wells? What are our chances of getting the other Renaissance Pictures shows like Young Hercules, Cleopatra 2525 and Jack of All Trades? Also, is there any chance the full pilot of Amazon High (starring a pre-fame Selma Blair) being included on Xena season 5? It was re-edited into a Xena episode that season.

LizH

Second Unit
The original pilot also starred a pre-"Farscape" Claudia Black. :)

IIRC, Lucy and Kevin took Universal to court (They're accusing Universal of cheating them out of their percentage of the shows' profits. :frowning: )

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

They're doing well enough for Best Buy to continue to request Exclusive Content features. If the sales were dropping, would they bother?

I am glad the prices are lower for the more recent seasons though.

James Reader

Screenwriter
Cut down on extras? Season Four of Xena was 10 discs! It's one of the most comprehensive US TV releases yet regarding supplements.

Hercules S4, from the listing (mines still in the post) sounds an improvement on it's previous 3 releases too.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

In season 3 every episode had interview featurettes - for season 4 it's about 2 in 3. Herc is worse, about 1 in 3. We were so spoiled with Xena season 3! There are a number of episodes I'm really disappointed to have no interviews/commentaries. Those extras that are included are terrific, as usual.

A quick note on the 4:3 for Xena s4. As many of you will know, I was bitterly disappointed about the Xena not being in w/s - as seen in some of the deleted scenes included in the s4 sets. Now that I've seen it all in 4:3 on DVD, my worst fears were not confirmed (happily!). The 4:3 ratio does look "good", unlike a lot of other series shot with dual-OARs in mind. I think the widescreen version would look better still (cf. West Wing s2), but at least it doesn't look pan/scanned. :)

Amy Mormino

Supporting Actor
I think we fans have been pretty lucky with these two series. After some skimpty first season releases, the sets have been really good and with some interesting extras. Perhaps Season 3 of Xena was an experiment and they found they couldn't continue the same type of extras. And Anchor Bay has promised on their web site to release every season of both shows with extras. Not too many series have that guarantee.

I'd like to see the Amazon High pilot as well, though it probably isn't that good. It would seem like an obvious Season 5 extra for Xena.

James Reader

Screenwriter

But to make up for that, Anchor Bay have added more featurettes in S4. It all depends on what you want.

I think it's hard for every episode to have specific interviews recorded. Firstly, the people have to be there to be interviewed, and secondly they have to have something to say. I'm sure if somebody wanted to say something about an episode it was included in the set.

As for Hercules, sadly this will always be viewed less important than Xena, and I guess Anchor Bay are expecting to sell less. But the sets are still just as packed as most other season sets.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member

No, it was shot in WS from season 4 onward, including all the effects shots. But it was not broadcast in WS, so you'll only see it in WS when the high def broadcasts take over.

Glad to hear the 4:3 composition is ok.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks