How to "unpause" RP-91?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by TomL, Apr 21, 2002.

1. TomL

TomL Extra

Help! Last night my babysitter watched a DVD with the kids, paused it, and then they played elsewhere for an hour before I returned home! I believe still images like this can damage any TV, correct? Is there any way to "fix" this? I'm thinking of trying something with my Pronto remote (like a "paused" screen which "presses" stop after a minute), but a better solution would be a "pause timeout" setting on the DVD player (like the VCR has). But I cannot find such a feature on my RP-91 (?).

2. Wayne Bundrick

Wayne Bundrick Cinematographer

Most DVD players have screen savers or automatically go to stop mode and then eventually shut off if they are left in pause. Does the RP-91, for all the other good things it has, lack something you can find on a $100 DVD player?

3. Keith Mickunas

Keith Mickunas Cinematographer

I checked my RA-60 manual and can find no mention of a screen saver. Bummer. Oh well, I'm the only one that uses it and I don't pause for long periods of time. Anyways, I don't think your pronto idea would work because you had have to put a delay in the macro, and I'm not certain that you could use another button while the macro is waiting. www.remotecentral.com is the place to check on that.
    As far as damage to your screen, it depends a bit on the source. I imagine that any image if left long enough would cause some burn in, but if the image doesn't vary significantly in contrast, like if it doesn't have bright white in one area surrounded by black, you might not notice it much. Have you calibrated your TV with Video Essentials or Avia? Typically if you have the TV calibrated, burn-in is less likely to happen.

4. Paul Clarke

Paul Clarke Supporting Actor

Actually I believe that graphics are more damaging. Most paused movie images will do little to imprint but a graphical one can burn in rather quickly. I agree with Keith on the contrast issue. A properly calibrated set will be far less vulnerable.

I find it difficult to believe that a player of the quality of the RP91 does not provision for timed out screen saving.

5. James D S

James D S Screenwriter

No, the RP91 does not have a screen saver, nor a pause-auto resume feature.

However, on a properly calibrated direct view, you should not see a burn-in unless the image is left static for days not hours. I am not as sure about rear-projection monitors, but from what I see going on at retailers, it takes a considerable time for it to occur there as well - Not hours, more like days, as well.

Burn-in should not be a concern unless you leave you picture frozen while you go away for a vacation, not a dinner date.

Rest easy.

6. Arthur Legardo

Arthur Legardo Second Unit

On page 10 of the manual it says that the unit will automatically go into Standby mode after about 30 minutes of being in Stop Mode (showing blue DVD Audio/Video splash screen). So next time tell the babysitter to press the Stop button instead of the Pause button if they have to do something else. Pressing the Play button will resume the movie in the same spot where they left off if they do want to return to the movie. If not, the unit will shut itself off.

7. Thomas_Berg

Thomas_Berg Screenwriter

Thomas
    my dad's RP56 goes to 'standby' mode after a short amount of time after being paused. strange the RP91 does not.

8. David Guill

David Guill Extra

[​IMG] Yes the RP91 has a standby mode