What's new

How to splice a subwoofer cable ? (1 Viewer)

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Our maniacal rabbit got out of his cage and made a straight run for my cable.... he's lucky it was a passive subwoofer ;)

So now I've got a bunch of teeth marks that split the outer casing. The cable runs behind the walls and under the flooring so I cannot pull another one through (I am an idiot for not putting conduit down there).

My understanding is subwoofer cables have an inner core and an outer casing, both of which needs to be connected, but can't touch. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.... Is there a simple way to splice this type of cable ?

Thanks !

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
A subwoofer cable is simply a coaxial cable. Very similar to your CATV coax.

Do you know how to cut/strip/install "F" connectors for your CATV coax? If so, just go buy a female-female barrel connector and splice with "F" connectors. Make sure to tighten the connections with a wrench a bit past finger-tight, say 1/4 turn.

The only 'trick' is finding "F" connectors that match the size of the subwoofer coax. You might go buy a small package of connectors for RG59 and RG6 and do a test on a small piece of the subwoofer coax.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Thanks folks - each end does have "RCA" style connectors. The amp is a Denon 3300 and the Sub is an Energy e:XL S8.

I thought F-Connectors were for coax-screw-on style connections ?

Can RCA connectors merely be crimped on ? The Rat Shack clone had no clue, and Home Depot had plenty of RG-59 and RG-6 connecting paraphernalia, but no RCA.

Any comments on where to get the new connectors ?

Guess I should mention this is not a high-quality cable. This is a secondary system for occasional HT and mostly music.....

Thanks again !

PaulT

Supporting Actor

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
And RCA plugs are friction-fit. They come loose. The "F" connectors when properly tightned will stay snug for years.

The other problem with crimp-style RCA plugs is that you need either some skill, or the exact tools (stripper, crimper) and RCA plugs designed to fit the coax in question.

The "F" connectors ... are a bit more generic and the tools (coax stripper, hex crimper) are fairly inexpensive.

Kirk Gunn

Screenwriter
Ok - one more question:

For coax cable, can it be different gauges ? My cheapo sub cable is a much higher gauge than a standard "cable company" coax connector. Just wondering if I should use the RG-6 or RG-59 connectors ?

Thanks

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member

Look at the center conductor, not at the over-all size of the padding/sheath. My guess is the center conductor is standard 18 ga.

The distance from the center conductor to the outer shield is what gives the cable it's "Impedence". Using the wrong connector can mess this up. But... it's not a huge issue at subwoofer frequencies.

RG6 connectors expect a bit-bigger coax so look for these. My advice would be to cut off the rabbit-chewed section, including an inch or so on either side and carry it into a electronics supply store. They should be able to find a box of "F" connectors to fit. If you go to Radio Shack, they should also be able to help you.

Hint: I prefer the "F" connectors with the built-in crimp ring. While you CAN use the ones with the separate ring - they dont look as nice.

Hint: Radio Shack has a $4 plastic "T" handle to help shove the connectors onto the end of the coax.

Let us know how it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks