What's new

How to make moving less traumatic for my cat? (1 Viewer)

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I just got a new apartment about 30 minutes away from where I am now, and will be moving into it during the next few weeks. Moving my big TV will be a pain, but what I'm really concerned about is Sammy, The Evil Cat From Hell, and how he's going to feel about all this. He HATES being in his cat carrier and riding in the car. When I put him in he claws at the door trying to get out, and even hurts his face a little pushing against the bars, and of course he cries the whole time too. Last time I moved he got used to the new place within a day or so, but I still want to try to make the next move and 30-minute car ride a little easier on him. Any suggestions?

CapnSharpe

Stunt Coordinator
Claudia is like that. During one 3-day move from hell (Ohio to Nebraska; hell courtesy Ryder) the vet gave her drugs. The drugs stopped her from trying to tear the carrier apart, but it didn't stop the screaming. The screams were slurred, but she didn't stop.
For the 2-day move from Nebraska to Houston, I didn't give her any drugs. I had to tear her out from underneath the bed in a motel in Ardmore Oklahoma, but otherwise it was just another trip narrated by Claudia. :)
Good luck with your move.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Use tranquilizers...if not for the cat, for you. :)
When I moved into my house (requiring a 20-minute trip), I had two cats in carriers. The little lady made howling noises that I had never heard before. The old man shat himself. I thought a short trip would not be any problem...my little ones proved me wrong.
Oh this was fun...I actually got a call on the cell phone as I was in the middle of this experience. I am told that I sounded as frantic as the cats.
The next trip, drugs will be involved!
- Steve

Mitty

Supporting Actor
My sister's cat made a flight from Toronto to Vancouver once, in some sort of hold. Drugs were given by a vet which mercifully made the experience tolerable for her. She was doped up for a good 6-8 hours, lasting most of the flight, trips to and from the airports etc.

The little lady made howling noises that I had never heard before.
Yep. The last time I drove my cat to the vet (about a 5 minute drive) he made low loud guttural moaning/meowing noises that sounded like his very soul was being slowly ripped out. It was like he'd been tortured for hours and hours and lacked even the strength to let out a convincing shriek. I'll never forget that sound.

Now, I just put him in his carrier and walk to the vet, a 20 minute walk carrying a 17 lb. cat, in a large awkward carrier. Somewhat exhausting, but worth it not to ever have to hear that sound again.

Craig

Second Unit
I wouldn't sedate him for a 30 minute trip. Just turn the cat carrier so he can see you and don't worry too much about it, the cat will be fine.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
I always have him facing me in the car and I keep talking to him, but he still freaks out until I let him out of the carrier (he seems to hate the carrier as much as the car.) Right now I've got it in the living room open so he can sort of get the idea he'll be taking another trip soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks