What's new

how to magnetically shield speakers (1 Viewer)

Salvador

Second Unit
woohoo first post!

i have studio 20's and they are about 10 inches away from my samsung 900nf 19-inch monitor. I don't see the effects (screen turning to greenish color and getting disfigured) of the magnet but at high volumes i can detect faint ripples on the screen. Would this damage my monitor in the long run?? What would be an easy way to magnetically shield my studio 20's?

Phil A

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Phil
One way would be to tape of glue cheap raw drivers or car speakers (e.g. $4) to the back of the speakers. Another would be to put some type of shield between them, perhaps foil or some of the copper shielding tape that you can get at places like Allied or Newark. It may be as simple as moving the speakers slightly forward or the TV slightly back an inch or two.

ron_kolarovic

Auditioning
For magnetic shielding copper or aluminum will not work, you need to use a material that blocks the magnetic field (copper and/or aluminum is great for electrical shielding).

I've never done it with a speaker, but have used very thin steel sheet metal for other magnetic shielding applications. There are also specific materials ( mu-metal ) which is great for magnetics but it's pricy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks