B&W vs Paradigm

MikeZz1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Z
I am looking into a getting a surround receiver, probably Rotel 1057 with either B&W 601 or 602 bookshelf speakers or the new Paradigm Titan models around the same size. At the store the Paradigms were connected to a Marantz 5001 and the B&Ws were connected to the Rotel 1057 with a B&W AS600 sub. The B&Ws had a much fuller sound and the other seem too bright. How much of a difference was the different receivers? I favor the B&W 601 for frt and rears but they don't come with magnetic shielding and one of the Fronts will end up about 8-9 inches from a Sony 27 CRT TV. Any suggestions?
Thanks.

Jacob C

Second Unit
Both brands make good speakers but I would try to get out and listen to more. I learned a lot about what I liked in speakers by going to every store I could and listening to what they had. You will also find the room and the setup can make a big difference as well. I ended up getting speakers off the inter based on recommendation of people on this forum after I discovered what I liked.

Alon Goldberg

Screenwriter
Real Name
Alon Goldberg
I would suggest auditionning many speakers and receivers before ultimately making your purchase. Personally I found the Rotel RSX-1057 far more musical than any other receivers I have auditionned under $1,300. I've auditionned this receiver with a number of speakers, including B&W 600 Series and Monitor Audio Bronze Series, and were very impressed with both combinations. Keep in mind that the B&W Group owns Rotel. B&W and Rotel compliment each other very well.

Ultimately I ended up purchasing a Rotel RSX-1057 along with Paradigm Studio loudspeakers. The B&W 601's you auditionned would typically be compared to Paradigm Studio 20's, not Paradigm Titan's.

Marty M

Senior HTF Member
Paradigm has done some tweaking with their speakers. The Performance line has been essentially discontinued and the ones that remain are now in the Monitor series. The new Titans are now considered a Monitor series speaker. It is still not the quality of the Studio 20 though.

ChrisWiggles

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard the new paradigms, and they've rearranged their entry lines. B&W and paradigm both make great speakers, it comes down to preference. It sounds quite clear based on what you wrote that you liked the B&Ws better, so I would go with those. My personal tastes differe, but then you're not buying speakers for me, so what do you care? You're buying speakers for YOU, and so go with what you prefer. Reach your preferences through careful and at-length listening of quality content.

MikeZz1

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike Z
Any thoughts as to which CDs would be good to carry around to the stores to gauge speaker quality? I've heard people mention Pink Floyd but I guess something with a wide dynamic range. For the HT part I bought a used dvd of Fantastic Four because that's what I listened to in the 1st store and parts if it highlighted the differences in the speakers, especially the subs I was comparing.

Forum Sponsors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bigbob7777