What's new

ZAGGfolio for the iPad (2nd and 3rd Generation) REVIEW (1 Viewer)

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
4811fe89_zaggfolio1.png

ZAGGfolio Keyboard Case for the iPad

reviewed by Ronald Epstein

March, 2012

For all the great experiences the iPad provides for it users, I never felt that "typing" was one of them. In fact, being an experienced typist who can easily type hundreds of words quickly without ever looking at the keyboard, I find that doing the same thing on the iPad screen to be a huge step backwards. I go from using two hands to one, reducing my overall productive speed by more than half.

bdc4328d_DSC_0023.jpeg

(Click on photo for larger picture)

Another problem with typing on the iPad is that the keyboard takes up half the real estate of the screen. And, if that wasn't enough, you can be assured that when you are done typing your document, there will be hundreds of fingerprints left behind to remind you of it.

I absolutely knew that with the purchase of my 3rd generation iPad, that I would have to also look for a case with integrated bluetooth keyboard. Though these cases absolutely add bulk and weight to an otherwise lightweight, low-profile device, I think the trade-off is that one gets the ability to turn the iPad into a netbook device.

b69d66b5_DSC_0002.jpeg

(Click on above photos for larger pictures)

ZAGG has become world renowned as a company that provides quality cases, skins and shields for mobile devices. This past year, ZAGG was recognized as as International Consumer Electronics Show (CES) Innovations 2012 Design and Engineering Awards Honoree for three of its new products which included the ZAGGfolio, with its removable wireless Bluetooth keyboard with a built-in stand system.

a86053cf_DSC_0007.jpeg

bee732fb_DSC_0024.jpeg

The iPad easily slips into the case and then snaps itself in via securely across the top. The bottom remains loose so that it can swing out forward, securing itself in a central groove (see photo below). The case has suede lining to ensure that the back of your iPad never scratches while sliding in or out.

Something that you can easily be deceived by just looking at the pictures above, is how durable the ZAGGfolio case really is. Made of polyurethane, this really feels like a durable and rugged case that easily gives one the assurance their device is well protected. The case snaps firmly closed via a side clasp. Initially, I felt that the clasp did a superb job of keeping the case closed. However, there has been at least two occasions while grasping the unit in my hand, the latch suddenly popped open. Time will tell whether this becomes a normal occurrence or not.

The ZAGGfolio is perfectly designed with cut-outs that give you access to your charging dock, on/off button, volume control and headphone jack. The speaker is also fully exposed so that sound is not muffled. The case features an on/off magnet for quick start up and shut down.

I should mention at this point that you are looking at pictures of the carbon fiber textured folio. The case is available in 7 different colors and various textures. ZAGG also has a beautiful assortment of leather folios for an additional charge.

This is certainly not a case that will properly work on its own if you remove either the iPad or the Keyboard. In fact, once you remove either, the entire case just sort of falls apart. On the other hand, it's very easy to slide out the iPad and Keyboard case "on the fly" if need be. In other words, when you don't need to carry around an iPad and keyboard, you can easily transfer your device to a slimmer case.

3b64955e_DSC_0005.jpeg

48dabe3c_DSC_0028.jpeg

Once you have inserted your iPad into the case you can easily pair it with the keyboard. This simply involves turning on the keyboard's power switch, going into the bluetooth settings of the iPad and pairing both devices. On initial pairing you will be asked to confirm a passcode. This will be the only time you need to do this process.

The ZAGGfolio features a lithium-polymer battery that provides several weeks of normal use without recharge. Sure enough, the entire week I tested this keyboard, it never lost battery power nor its bluetooth connection. An included cable allows you to connect the keyboard to powered USB port on your computer for easy charging.

Now let's talk a bit about the keyboard.....

By far, this is the best mobile keyboard I have had the opportunity to use. I was very skeptical about being able to retain speed and accuracy typing with two hands on a smaller footprint. Fortunately, though the keys are somewhat smaller than a normal sized keyboard, there is enough space between them to allow your fingers enough room to effectively work with each other. Typing a rather long document was done with ease as my fingers (although with a few mistakes as I increased speed) were assured that they were pressing the right keys. The keyboard has a satisfying tactile feel that didn't seem as if it was cheaply made. This is a rather solid keyboard that you can confidently hit down hard upon without fear of breaking anything. When I moved the folio from table to my lap I was still able to type with ease without the case rocking back and forth across my legs. Really, folks, this keyboard is the real selling point of this case.

For those that still don't believe there's any worth in owning a keyboard folio, go ahead and check out the top row of keys and see how well they integrate with normal iPad functions. For instance, you can press a key and go to your HOME screen, do an instant search, put on a photo slideshow, raise or lower the volume or instantly lock your iPad. When listening to music there are keys that allow you to play/pause as well as move forward and back between tracks. There are also cut and paste keys which I found to be totally unnecessary (as you can use command keys on the keyboard for that) and could have instead been replaced by screen brightness controls that are lacking here.

7479473b_DSC_0009.jpeg

(Click on photo for larger picture)

I mentioned previously that the bluetooth keyboard and the iPad can both be removed from the case quite easily. One of the reasons you may wish to do this is to work with your iPad in portrait mode. The groove along the top of the keyboard can easily support your iPad in that position.

CONCLUSION

For the most part, I am extremely happy with the ZAGGfolio case for my 3rd generation iPad. The keyboard is the selling factor here. It is quite amazing and I wish this kind of keyboard existed on some of the more expensive folios I looked at.

I do have a few small concerns: First, to be fair, I was given the case for the iPad 2 which I was assured would fit the 3rd generation iPad, which it does. I am not certain if the reason the clasp occasionally slips open is due to the slight increase in thickness of the device or not. Secondly, some of the special function keys along the top of the keyboard seem useless and could have been given to better functions (such as screen brightness controls)

However, overall, there is very little to find wrong with the ZAGGfolio case. It truly seems deserving of the praise it has received.

CLICK ABOVE FOR THE VIDEO REVIEW OF THE ZAGGFOLIO

CLICK ABOVE FOR THE VIDEO SHOOTOUT OF SENA vs. ZAGGFOLIO

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Helpful review.

I mentioned previously that the bluetooth keyboard and the iPad can both be removed from the case quite easily. One of the reasons you may wish to do this is to work with your iPad in portrait mode. The groove along the top of the keyboard can easily support your iPad in that position.
So the case doesn't rotate between Portrait and Landscape; you must manually remove the iPad from the case to switch orientations?

My wife loves her rotatable case. Now she's interested in a keyboard case, but would like to keep the rotating feature . It looks like this Zagg isn't quite what she hopes for. But maybe what she wants is unobtainable.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Dave,

Good Morning!

The Kensington Keyfolio for the iPad 2 looks like it has this portrait function:

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-Apple-KeyFolio-Performance-K39357US/dp/B0054L7FVW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1333544188&sr=8-1

However, it is not clear if the same Keyfolio for the new iPad has it (pictures don't indicate such):

http://www.amazon.com/Kensington-KeyFolio-Removable-Keyboard-K39512US/dp/B005Y1CYSQ/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

I hope your wife finds what she is looking for.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks. I'd looked a little at Christmas and the options were expensive. It looks like prices have since come down a lot. The Zagg seems to have a better application-button set along the top. I'll show these to my wife and see what she thinks.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Joseph,

I saw your comment in the product review page. I wanted
to redirect you here.

You had stated that you were going to order the ZAGGfolio
this week.

You may save some money ordering from Amazon. However,
I would recommend that you order directly from the manufacturer.

Here's why....

Initially, manufacturers were confident that the iPad 2 cases
they had in stock would be compatible with the new generation iPad.

For the most part, they were correct.

However, now manufacturers have realized that any case that
had magnets in it, that allowed the sleep activation function, is
not working with the new iPad 3.

That was the very problem I had with both my Sena (not reviewed)
and ZAGGfolio case. They were both leftovers from the iPad 2
line and the sleep activator function did not work on either.

I failed to include this in my review simply because I knew that
these manufacturers were racing to put out new product that very
week.

So, what I am trying to say here is that I would contact ZAGG
and make certain that you will be receiving a revamped case with
a working sleep activator function.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
Ron,
Thanks for the tip! I'll *definitely* be ordering this directly from the manufacturer. I'm really looking forward to it as I think I'll now be able to totally leave my laptop at home when on trips and vacation.
BTW, I'm currently using an Incipio "Kickstand" folio case with my "New" iPad. This case was also marketed for the iPad 2. While it's a very tight fit, it works fine. And the "Smartcover"-style magnets also seem to work OK on it. But I probably just got lucky.

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Here is another case that folks looking for a keyboard might be interested in:
http://clamcase.com/ipad-3-keyboard-case-black.html

-Keith

Raul Marquez

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Raul H. Marquez, MD
Ron,
Speaking of iPad cases.... Have you seen this one?
Japan Amazon website:
http://www.amazon.co.jp/%E3%82%B5%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B3%E3%83%BC-KYBTINCA-NoteBookCase-iPad2-%EF%BC%9AKYBTINCA/dp/B007RL0BMW%3FSubscriptionId%3D197NNR4SFP2PY14MT702%26tag%3Dmacotakarablg-22%26linkCode%3Dxm2%26camp%3D2025%26creative%3D165953%26creativeASIN%3DB007RL0BMW
Now your iPad can look like a MacBook Pro. Also neat is the USB connector pictured.
Supposedly this case hits USA markets soon.
Raul

jeastin

Auditioning
Real Name
John Eastin
Ron, I just purchased the ZAGG folio for my second generation iPad and naturally got online with it as soon as I got home to see what others think about it. I just wanted to take a moment to thank you for a very informative, straight-forward and matter of fact review. I wish you could have spoken to a few of the keys that are located along the bottom of the keyboard. Nevertheless, I have joined your forum because of the way in which you gave the product review. I'm looking forward to seeing more from you in the future. Regards.

Joshua Bump

Auditioning
Real Name
Joshua Bump
I'm looking for an ipad keyboard...which one in your opinion feels the most like a real computer keyboard?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hi Joshua. Welcome to HTF.

Out of the two I reviewed, I really like the ZAGGfolio though
I prefer a leather case of the Sena to the Polyurethane of the ZAGG.

You may not care, or, you may opt to upgrade to the leather
ZAGG case.

Please let us know what you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks