What's new

How to fix a bad sector on hard disk? (1 Viewer)

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I have a few bad sectors on the hard drive and have run Scan Disk on it. However, when I transfer video from my digital camcorder to the hard drive, about 20 minutes into the transfer it writes to a bad sector, which causes the transfer to abort. When I run Scan Disk in DOS, it clearly has all the bad sectors marked, which have stayed the same over the past few years. I thought the marking of bad sectors would prevent any writes to be done on them?

~T

Kevin P

Screenwriter
Run a scandisk with the option to do a surface scan for errors. You might have bad sectors that haven't been flagged (yet). A regular scandisk without the surface scan won't look for or flag bad sectors.

If sectors are going bad, you should back up your data and replace the drive ASAP. One or two new bad sectors should be OK, but if a bunch are going bad, or new ones are found everytime you scan, the drive is going.

Running a defrag should help things too, if you're storing large video files.

KJP

Tekara

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Robert
can't fix a bad sector, can only have the comptuer not recognize it as a usable area. as previously suggested a surface scan in scan disk will do this. typically bad sectors are like a virus, they do tend to spread and grow over time until most of your hardrive is bad.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I've run surface scan several times since I encountered the problem, and there are still only 3 blocks that are marked with a "B." I've had these 3 bad blocks for 2-3 years now. I've defragmented my hard drive before the capture, and the problem still exists. Every time it encounters the problem, I am forced to run surface scan when I restart my computer, but as I said previously, the same 3 blocks are marked bad.

Is there another program I can use to check for bad sectors?

~T

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quinnedunn
Recent bookmarks