What's new

How to clean the top of the CRT's on the 40x81? need help ASAP! (1 Viewer)

Steve Morgan

Second Unit
Real Name
Steve
The Duvatyne had fallen from the top of the unit so I have the screen off to reapply adhesive when I noticed dust and a bug on one of the crt's.Do I use distilled water and rub in a circular motion? How hard can I press to clean.Remember its just the tops of the R/B/G crt's.

Thanks,

Steve

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
Don't scratch the lenses!!!! Not only can you scratch the lenses but use of the wrong cleaning solution can remove antiglare coatings. Once damage is done, one isn't always lucky enough to get a replacement lens.

William Phelps has long used a custom cleaning solution on many many projectors...

1 drop dishwashing detergent (not soap!)

(or Kodak Photoflo if you have it)

1/3 cup 99% Isopropyl alcohol

1 2/3 cup distilled water

In terms of how to clean the lens, it is best to use an air blower and gentle, soft brush to remove loose debris. If that isn't sufficient, then a microfiber lens cleaning cloth is the preferred cleaning wipe. Dampen the cloth with the solution. Do not spray the lens directly or you risk the solution seeping into the lens assembly.

Wipe with a light touch always rolling the cloth so a new, clean portion is in contact with the lens. Start at lens center and wipe radially outward. Each time be sure to use a clean section of the cloth. Wiping with a dirtied portion of the cloth will scratch the lens. Excess pressure will scratch the lens.

Use another cloth once the first one is soiled. They can be washed, but don't use a fabric softener!!!!

Another alternative to the microfibre cloth is lens crafter's lens cleaning tissue. It is a cotton tissue which is less likely to scratch than wood pulp based normal tissue. You have to be more careful with the lens crafter tissue than with a microfiber cloth, but its disposability helps encourage use of MANY sheets to avoid reusing a soiled portion. Do not use normal tissue or paper towels as they can scratch the plastic or coatings. Stay away from the onion skin-like lens cleaning papers. They are inadequately absorbant and tend to grind grits into the plastic lenses.

StephenMSmith

Stunt Coordinator
I'll add my own experience. Don't use any type of liquid unless you really have to, on either the lenses or the mirror! I used the solutiuon prescribed in my set's service manual, Lens Luster, back when I got me set and spent a week trying to get it off. It may look perfect at first glance, but carefully inspect the surface with both a flashlight and your head at multiple various angles and I bet you'll see streaks or other residue still on there. Stick with compressed air and a microfiber cloth as Guy suggests...

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks