How to choose HT screen

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by rademacher1939, Sep 11, 2006.

1. rademacher1939

Hi all,

I'm still trying to feel my way around my HT build and trying to determine
    what kind of screen to get.
    I'm interested in a electric with an inferred remote.
    HDTV 106" (52"x92") screen size.
    This will be mounted into an open rafter in my basement.

Which screen manufacture gives the most for your buck?
    I also know there are variations in screen textures and how does
    this affect the over all picture quality.

All comments and suggestions welcome.[​IMG]

2. SethH

SethH Cinematographer

I won't claim to know much about screens, but I do know that many people around these forums would tell you that the best bang-for-the-buck by far is making your own screen. However, I guess this is a little more difficult if you require it to be motorized.

3. Liquid Kaos

Liquid Kaos Extra

I'll let you know how my 120" $200 Ebay screen works out [​IMG]

At the office, we have a 120" Elite Screen that is more like $350, and looks pretty decent for the price with our Sharp XR-10X. It actually looks just as good as the owners $5,000 screen in his home theater (although his is 4 years old). Not only that, this $350 is SILENT and his is noisey as hell when it comes down - LOL!

ADDED: It's actually quite unbelievable what you can do for so cheap now. $350 screen and $800 Sharp XR-10X projector actually looks better at our office then the bosses $5k projector and $4k screen he had installed 4 years ago.

4. king

king Stunt Coordinator

I was in the same dilemma. After doing a lot of research, I found the only way to really judge a screen is to read the reviews and of course see the picture quality in person.

I wanted a fixed 106" screen that is to be mounted in the basement and narrowed it down to the Da-Lite and the Stewart Firehawk. The Da-Lite had excellent reviews especially with the projector I am looking to buy and it was less expensive than it's competitor.

I went to a local high end home theater store and they played a movie for me. I was instantly sold on it. The colors and brightness was amazing even with a cheap projector.

It cost me about $850-$900 custom ordered with the velvet covered metal frame. Can't wait to get it ...[​IMG]

Check da-lite.com for all the different screens they make. I highly recommend it! They may cost a little more but the difference is worth it...

5. rademacher1939

Thanks all for your input, it will help a lot.
    Arvin, since you've look and compared a few of the screens, wat qualities
    were you looking for and what screen fabric type did you choose?
    Thanks, John

6. king

king Stunt Coordinator

Choosing the right screen really depends on the room. Mine is going in a fairly dark room in the basement without any windows or ambient light...so my concern was primarily brightness, contrast, black level, picture clarity and viewing angle. I finally decided on the Da-Lite Cinema Vision 106" with the Pro-trim fabric covered 45 degree frame. Of course the projector has an important role in finding a right match for the two.

The next step up offers another 5 degrees of viewing angle and is actually a gray vinyl screen with higher gain. Finally you can also get perforated screens if you are placing speakers behind it. I thought what I selected was more than adequate for my situation...

Here is a good description/review of the da-lite screen...

http://www.epinions.com/content_163531230852