What's new

Need help choosing a Home Theater Package (1 Viewer)

Aman

Auditioning
Real Name
Amandeep
Hi Everyone,

I received a quote from a reputable installer here in Toronto, this is my first home theater so need some help selecting the best package.Installation is going to be in my basement(has a few windows so quite a bit of natural light). I think i am ok with the video package from the little bit of research i have done online, but i really need help selecting the audio package, it will mostly be for movies and music.Should i go with a particular brand?, how does Speaker Craft compare to Klipsch etc.

Many Thanks in advance.

Cheers
Aman

Listing all the details below:

Video package:

EVO8K-ZAWL-135-1.3 Aurora, Perforated, Nano-edge, Led backlit, Ambient light rejecting Screen.

JVC LX-NZ3B

PRG universal mount

Subtotal: $7,800

Audio package 1 - 7.1: Klipsch

(3) PROTHX8000L

(4) Klipsch CDT-5800-C II

(1) SPL 120NAB

(1) Marantz SR5015 8k Receiver 7.2 Receiver

Subtotal: $6,400

Audio Package 2 - 7.1: Martin Logan

(2) Martin Logan Edge

(1) Martin Logan Axis

(4) Martin Logan IC6-HT

(1) Martin Logan Dynamo 1100X

(1) Marantz SR5015 8k Receiver 7.2 Receiver

Subtotal: $7,750

Audio Package 3 - 5.1 Surround sound

(2) SpeakerCraft Aim Cinema 3

(1) SpeakerCraft LCR5 Five

(2) Dynamic Audio Labs KVSC – 80

Denon S650h

Subtotal: $3,800

Audio Package 4: 9.1 Dolby atoms

(2) SpeakerCraft Aim Cinema ONE

(1) SpeakerCraft LCR5 Five

(4) Dynamic Audio Labs KVSC – 80

(2) Martin Logan IC6 - HT

Denon 3700h

Subtotal: $5,200

Dave Upton

Audiophile
Owner
Real Name
Dave Upton
First regarding video, you might want to inquire about the cost to upgrade the projector to the NX5/RS1000. It's a way better unit.

Moving on to audio:

My opinion is that Klipsch is a well known brand, but doesn't sound nearly as good as people think it does when compared to better speakers. If you only plan to watch movies, it will be fine - but doesn't do great for music. Speakercraft is a generic in-wall or in-ceiling that is incredibly marked up by builders - not a brand I would recommend and would actually tell you you avoid.

If you want to do this correctly, I would take a variation on Package 2, and buy your own sub (that sub is overpriced) from SVS or HSU audio. I would also try to get your receiver to be an Anthem instead of a Marantz, since the installer looks to be a Paradigm/Anthem/Martin Logan dealer. The installer could also use in-walls from Paradigm to save you some cost.

Aman

Auditioning
Real Name
Amandeep
Hi Dave,

Many Thanks for your reply, greatly appreciated!
They recommended JVC LX-NZ3B as i have a lot of natural light in the room ,but i will enquire about NX5.

Will go with Option two and get a price on paradigm and anthem as you suggested.

Cheers
Aman

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum Sponsors

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snaves