What's new

How to calibrate surround system? (1 Viewer)

Raj Kumar

Grip
Hi,
I have read a lot of posts here about calibrating surround speakers using sound meter and getting a 20HZ-20KHZ flat response. I am not sure if I understand what that is.
I have bought a denon 4802 and am using with paradigm monitor 7s. What is the procedure to calibrate (using sound meter) so that I get the best out of my system? I know the ELITE series come with auto calibration.. Wish denon too had something like that.
As always, I really appreciate this forum's input.

Raj

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Ok, there are 3 things this could cover and the technique for each is different.
  1. Level Adjusting - This is using a SPL meter to set the apparent volume on each speaker to be the same at your listening position. This link to our HTF Primer & FAQ is a good place to start.
  2. Subwoofer Response - Your walls have a big effect on the subwoofer sound. An SPL meter and test-tones from 20-120 hz can be used to map the volume and can help guide you to problems. Sometimes just moving the sub helps, other times you may need an equalizer like the Behring Feedback Destroyer. Search the Speakers fourm for "BFD" and "House Curve" to find lots of posts.
  3. Equalization - This follows the same idea as subwoofer calibration, but involves all the speakers and all sounds from 20-22,000 hz. But with 5 speakers, this is a very complex thing to adjust, and ... I dont know of any 5-channel equalizers on the market. Most people dont bother with this at all. If they do, it's for a 2-channel music system.

I'm going to move this post over to the Speakers fourm as that is where most of this type of thing is discussed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks