What's new

How to buy new speakers? (1 Viewer)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
In my reading, speaker wire is speaker wire. Everyone recommends ~14g for a 4-ohm connection running over 25 feet. And by everyone, I mean Monoprice, Crutchfield, Belkin, About.com random speaker-wire analysts online and most everyone in the forums. I'd probably be fine with 16g, but my longest run might push over the 25' max advised for that gauge.

Ed Moxley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ed
I use 14 gauge for all my speakers, 4 ohm and 8 ohm. I got a 100 ft. spool at Lowe's for around $25. Been using it for about 8-10 years.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I've got a mishmash of speaker wire from the past decade of apartments and now this house. Since I'm running wire through and under the floor, and possibly in wall, I thought I'd buy a 100' foot of in-wall rated and use it all around. The 14 ga matches my max run length; it's cheaper to buy 100' run of in-wall than two 50' spools.

And like your wire, this 100' spool will last the next 50 years or so :)

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
The extra $$ don't matter much. Rather, I'd rather go as thin as reasonable for ease of installation.

And like your wire, this 100' spool will last the next 50 years or so :)
All the more reason to do it once and do it right. I still say 12g but it's your decision.

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
I used 12 gauge once before and thought it to be a bit too thick and unweildy. I've stuck with 14 since then and haven't noticed any difference at all.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
In reality, I'm sure 14g would be just fine. I just prefer to go a step higher on these things just to be safe. When I bought my Swans a few years ago I bought some Royal brand 14g speaker wire from the automotive dept at Walmart. It was $9.99 for a 50" roll at the time. Seemed like very good wire. It used a lot of very thin strands of wire and a thick but soft jacket making it very flexable. But when I finally ran the wire under the house I went with Monoprice 12g CL-2.

Also, for those of you who are not familiar with monoprices CL-2 rated wire, it is wound a little tighter than most wire and the jacket is made from harder rubber/plastic than what you might be used to. This makes the speaker wire itself a bit smaller than other 12g wire but it is also much less flexible than you might have hoped for. I'd also bet that the outer white jacket around the two wires is the same one used for all gauges so the actual total thickness of the wire as a whole isn't much different regardless of the gauge. I've never compared their 14g directly with the 12g but I bet there isn't much difference in the size of the outer jacket.

It also looks like their website is down until Tuesday!

And that link Al gave to the Secrets dual 14g wire was interesting. I remember hearing something like that before but didn't give it much thought. Even though most of the technical jargon went way over my head, it did seem to make sence, at least when compared to bi-wiring. But it would almost double the cost of the wire and it would be quite a bit thicker. Monoprice (and others, I'm sure) sell two sets of wire in a single jacket for bi-wiring/amping which would do the trick. But I don't know....

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Thanks for the description of the Monoprice CL2. I'd prefer to buy normal wire for the front speakers, but they don't sell less than 50 ft reels. And I'm trying to do things "right" with home improvements :), so I'll have to deal with the CL2 wire.

I'm amazing that Monoprice is offline 'til Tuesday. That's a heck of a maintenance process, to shut the store down for four days!

I still have to figure out how to attractively and neatly wall mount my surrounds.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Purchase is planned. Intend to buy Apr 1 with an Apr 9 delivery. Expect to have fun details after the event :)

Hmm...need a camera, but my wife is out of town that weekend and will take the camera with her. Need to borrow a camera from a friend.

gene c

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gene
Glad to hear the end is in sight. I hope we didn't make things more confusing than they already were.

And I don't think you'll have any trouble finding friends that weekend. With or without a camera

Good luck with it and I hope it exceeds your wildest dreams.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Of course, there is the whole issue of varying theories on HT setup and calibration to discuss and decide upon, not to mention speaker positioning and break-in... .
This has been an unusually odd shopping experience. I was "this close" to buying a Paradigm Monitor 9 system a month ago. I'm ready to place the SVS order right tonight, but there are some external factors that postpone it. So April 9 is scheduled to be Speaker Day!

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Woo hoo, Indeed

I need to see if my Blockbuster account still exists, and rent some Blu Rays for that weekend. :) Unfortunately, due to some recent challenges, I'm behind schedule on wall-mounting the TV and getting new speaker wire run. Ah well.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
And you may still need to see if your Blockbuster stores are still open!

Many of those near me (Albany-area) are closing. Same thing near my daughter (in Fairfax, VA).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks