What's new

How RELIABLE is the Philips PRONTO TSU2000? (1 Viewer)

Kyle_Y

Stunt Coordinator
Due to the suggestions of the other HTFers I've decided to step up to the Protno TSU2000. There is only one thing I want to know, since I will be paying about $300 for it, how reliable is it? I have read several reviews of the TSU2000 with enraged owners saying their remotes kept rebooting or were completely out of service after a couple of months. I don't want to spend that kind of money on a remote that will only last for a few months, I'm looking for a few years with no problems. I will be buying the docking station FYI. I reliaze that if I drop the unit it won't last long, but if I take care of it, will I be affected by the rebooting problem or any other softwear problems that many users have reported?

John Sully

Stunt Coordinator
I've been using a TSU1000 since 1998 and have had no problems with it. Apparently it is possible to corrupt the firmware when downloading a CCF file from ProntoEdit, but the common solution here is to download the firmware again and then reload your CCF. This is a known solution to the hang/reboot problem.

Yohan Pamudji

Supporting Actor
I've been using my Marantz RC-5000 (same as Pronto 1000) for over 2 years now, never a hang. I've updated firmware once or twice and updated my configuration over 20 times, and I've never had a problem. I'm very pleased with it.

Dave_P.

Supporting Actor
I've had the Yamaha RAV2000 (their proprietary version of the Pronto) for almost a year now with no problems at all, even with heavy usage and re-programming.

Guy Kuo

Supporting Actor
My TS-1000 has been a stalworth home theater fixture for quit some time. It doesn't lock up. I have seen it restart itself about once every two or three months, but overall it has been an indispensable part of the system. Without it, it would be impossible for anybody else to run the 12+ components in the home theater. With the Pronto, it all runs as easily as a simple TV set. That wins big points with a spouse who can now USE the system herself. The one really bad accident it had was being stepped on. It definitely doesn't withstand a heal and full weight. The glass screen shattered but the electronics lived on. Amazingly, after a week with the batteries removed it came back to life when I replaced the screen. My CCF was still intact without the batteries all that time.

Be prepared to take a LONG time programming it to perfection. My own CCF is probably on its 400th to 500th iteration. ProntoEdit, patience, and experimentation make a hobby unto itself. Compared to a programmable remote which cannot be downloaded from a computer, the Pronto gives you the ability to back up your hard programming effort. Should something ever happen to the Pronto, you can simply download your CCF into another one. We like our so much, I picked up a spare just in case. Life without a Pronto just can't be tolerate once you are used to the convenience.

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I have the 2000 and I have never had a problem. After a year with it I can't imagine not having it now.

KyleS

Screenwriter
I have had a TSU-1000 for over 2 years and the only problem that I have encountered was that the screen cracked (MY FAULT) It slipped between 2 sections of our couch where there is foot rests and when it was opened... Crunch. Damnit that sucked and that happened 2 months ago. I just havnt had the time to order a replacement screen and install it. Even if I had to buy a completely new unit I would do so in a heartbeat. :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:
KyleS

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks