What's new

How often do you use your VCR? (1 Viewer)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Mainly tv shows that I want to watch and miss. Other than that, rarely anything anymore.

Paul E V

Stunt Coordinator
Last time I used one of my three VCRs was when SW:TPM first released --- but my mom has used one for Cats

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Sean, I would be very careful with a vcr like the one you bought, it's been my experience that cheaper vcrs tend to eat and ruin more tapes then a more expensive model.
John, I will be careful, so far it plays flawlessly.
The living room VCR is a $39 SV2000(Philips)4hd, HI-FI,from WalMart, and has never eaten a tape! So far in it's 3 year span with us the only thing it's eaten is sandwiches! :)
As long as it doesn't eat any tapes, I can live with it until BTTF and Real Genius, Bill and Teds and a few others come out on DVD.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
"Alex DeRezney's Fantasy Girls" (1975) isn't on DVD yet, so I gotta keep my VHS hooked up for that ;)
Also need it for Erotic Adventures of Pinocchio, Hardware Wars, MTV's Video To Go (available exclusively at Radio Shack!), Roller Boogie, and my vintage TV recordings.

NathanP

Supporting Actor
It takes quite a man to admit, on this forum, that he still uses a VCR, let alone bought one..

Keith_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kyle
hardly zilch for me, only sometimes to record a episode of Miami Vice my one guilty pleasure and my only reason to use the VCR;)

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
Rob does your Symphonic have a good picture?
Actually, my two year old daughter is using it right now (t.v. next to me in the upstairs "play room") to watch The Lady And The Tramp, and I must admit the picture looks pretty decent.

I guess the thing that I don't like as far as the quality is the cheap feel of the plastic and the remote. Also, when we rewind tapes, the machine is pretty darn loud. We also have a high end Hitachi VCR that we paid more than $200 for about 5 years ago. That player is used every day by my wife for recording her soaps, and it still works perfectly! It also has the "feel" of a quality piece of equipment. And it is quiet when you rewind a tape!

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
I use my VCR very rarely. In fact, I use it so rarely, the time isn't even set on it. When I go out-of-town for even a day, I unplug all surge protectors just to be safe. When I plug them back in, I don't even bother to set the time on the VCR because I know I am not going to record anything. I also know that I will be unplugging the surge protectors again before I will be using the VCR. I moved into my current home in May, and I believe I've used the VCR just once.

Sean Conklin

Screenwriter
Rob, unfortunately unless your willing to spend more than a $100, you are going to get a lightweight "made in China" cheap plastic VCR("Made in China" cheapo plastic brands now include Sony, Panasonic, RCA, etc). I just don't plan on using it much after my favorites come out on DVD, so I didn't want to spend a lot on something I will only use occasionally,.

Nathan , I will admit I bought a cheapo VCR to watch MY movies that are not available on DVD yet, I do not buy VHS tapes at all. Besides, you being the "processor guru" must be familiar with the "quad linear harmonic surround tape separator" processor, which enables me to watch my VHS in the "Dolby Ultra Pro" audio format.

JoelH

Stunt Coordinator
I recently re-hooked up my VCR to record something that we had saved on Tivo. My wife is a school teacher and needed the movie "The Adventures of Bullwhip Griffin." I had a hard time locating this movie for a reasonable price, so when it popped up on Encore Westerns, I had to save it.

----

Joel

LukeB

Senior HTF Member
Pretty much only use it for old Home Improvement episodes....although occassionally non-DVD stuff like The Muppet Christmas Carol has to go in that machine.

Jon_B

Screenwriter
I use mine to record 1-2 nba games that come on during the week or ncaa basketball.

Jon

Brett Cameron

Stunt Coordinator
Just today to watch the Indy trilogy in widescreen. I use mine quite often. Sometimes if I just like a movie(and not enough to buy it) I'll just tape it off HBO etc. I still use my VCR for movies but not as often as my dvd player.

Michael Warner

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
I use it every day as the tuner in the VCR picks up less interference than the one in the TV. I don't watch enough broadcast TV to warrant a Tivo so I also use it every few weeks to tape a movie or show. Plus, there are a handful of great movies I have on VHS but not LD or DVD...not that I watch them much.

Jeffrey Noel

Screenwriter
What's a VCR? :) j/k
I actually got rid of my VCR as soon as I bought a DVD player. I never bought any vhs tapes, only rented.

Howard Williams

Supporting Actor
I used mine yesterday for the first time in months only because my Son used some of his birthday money to buy Dr DoLittle II on VHS. The funny thing was, it wouldn't eject properly for a while. I told him, "Oh well, there goes your birthday money". Luckily I was able to get it out.

Jeff Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Jeff Brooks
I use my three every single day. I never watch anything when it is on. You know, you can actually save some time not watching commercials!

I actually replaced two recently-one had lasted 12 years, and another 8 years-and I never needed to use a cleaning tape.

Until recordable DVD units drop to a reasonable level, I'm sticking with VHS.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
I have 3, also, and I use at least one of them everyday. Each is pre-programmed for different shows so I usually set it with a blank tape early in the week and I'm set. (I hate to watch shows live, because I waste time sitting through commercials.)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
The truth is I probally use my VCR more than DVD player.

I used to tape Millenium every night when it was on FX.

The Simpsons,movies on cable, this,that and the other thing when Im not home.

I have dozens and dozens of tapes full on stuff not yet on DVD, lots of widescreen movies I taped from a friends LDs that I didnt have,bootleg concerts,lots of amine I collected way back,Batman Animated Series, Star Trek TNG, D29 and so on and so on.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks