What's new

How much does the 555ES cost? Plus, one other question. (1 Viewer)

james e m

Second Unit
Where is the best place to buy the 555ES, I can't find it anywhere. I think Oade may still have it. But I wondered if I were to use the schuffle function would it be able to schuffle from a SACD to a regualar CD? Or is it limited to just CD or just SACD?
Thanks...
James

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
James, it has been said by many here that the 'C555ES is finding a 'C555ES from one of the discount mail-order dealers (OneCall, J&R Music World, or Oade Bros.) is getting to be very difficult. If any of them still have any in stock, you should be able to get one for around $600. If not, then you will have to turn to a brick-and-mortar dealer, where you will likely pay full retail, which is $800.

You should have no problems shuffling between CDs and SACDs with any of the Sony SACD changers.

AaronBatiuk

Second Unit
James,
Note that the C555ES is virtually identical to the very much less expensive SCD-CE775, from the disc tray and laser, right down to the main PCB. The main differences are the construction (built like a tank VS. merely built well), and the dual power supplies (for analog & digital) of the ES version. You can see and read about the differences at SACD Mods, and you can even pay that guy to upgrade your 775.
If you look at the pictures of the 775 on that site and wonder why the changer tray is grey or white colored, well it isn't. It is black, but has a nearly mirror-shiny surface on it. It looks very slick in a component rack. The mirror finish grabs one's eyes.
The 775 is still obtainable at retail here in Canada, but then again, so is the 5ES receiver. YMMV.

Todd Schnell

Second Unit
James,

I purchased my C555ES a few weeks ago from a local B&M dealer after not being able to find an in stock unit from any of the reputable net dealers.
There is also concern with this unit being discontinued.
I talked the B&M dealer down from $800 to $650.
I will say I am very happy with this player.
It made a tremendous sound improvement in my set up over my old Sony jukebox.
I have not used the shuffle feature per say, but I have loaded up a mix of SACD & redbook cds, & let them play 1-5 with no problem.

Todd

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Aaron said:

Note that the C555ES is virtually identical to the very much less expensive SCD-CE775, from the disc tray and laser, right down to the main PCB. The main differences are the construction (built like a tank VS. merely built well), and the dual power supplies (for analog & digital) of the ES version.
The 'CE775 and 'C555ES are not "virtually identical". The 'C555ES is built much better, has two large power supplies, a better transport mechanism, and also has better DACs than the 'CE775. The 'C222ES and 'CE775 are similar, but the 'C555ES is a totally different animal.

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
Now Keith,
I never said that the 555ES was 100% similar to the CE775.
However, they do have indentical transport assembly (disc tray, laser, pickup), and I believe they have the same main board (that would be the computer board with the DSPs and decoders).
The 555ES has completely different power supplies, a radically different output (audio board), and incredible construction quality.
I have been working on the 555ES lately. I have installed LC Audio's clock and the ZapFilter discreet output stage. I am quite seriously in audiophile heaven. I got rid of the op-amps and coupling caps, and now I can hear minute details that were never there before. This is detail.
What a nice player to work on!:)
-Matthew Anker

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matt, I never said that you said that the 'CE775 and 'C555ES were "virtually identical". Aaron said that above, and I contested it. I have read comments on Audio Asylum and here from people saying that the 'C555ES has a better disc transport than the 'CE775 and 'C222ES. It seems that your observations run counter to that. Also, the 'C555ES does have better DACs than the 'CE775 and 'C222ES. The 'C555ES uses the same DAC as the 'XA777ES. However, the 'XA777ES has six of them, and three operate in stereo, while the 'C555ES has three of them, and from what I have read, just one is used in stereo mode.

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
Keith,

The 555ES does indeed have better DACs than the CE775 and 222ES. However, the transport is the same, but all that extra metal in the player doesn't hurt for isolation's sake.

You are correct that the 555ES only uses one DAC in stereo playback.

Also, So far the mods have been a great improvement in redbook playback. I have never seen so much spacial information in a regular CD as I have now.

-Matthew Anker

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
I was gonna wait five years (when the warranty expires) before modding my C555ES. Maybe I should rethink that?

Kevin Deacon

Second Unit
Rich, I've had my 555ES for only 2 months and was thinking the same thing after hearing from Matthew. Hmmm, now what's the cost of those mods?

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't determined how much the mods are going cost yet. I am thinking somewhere around $550 for the full blown mods. What will change this is the fact that I plan to build an improved power supply for the ZapFilter board if its sound does not become more open in the bass. Lars uses a power supply that is too simple, and I do think it smears the sound a little bit. On the other hand, that could be my old cables. I'll re-evaluate when my new XLO reference cables burn in. So far, they sound like nothing at all (as the advertisement said).

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Matthew, thanks for posting some information on your mods to the 'C555ES. Interesting. I bought my first 'C555ES in November 2001, so I'll look you up for mods in November 2006. ;)

Doug_B

Screenwriter
Keith,
A person with two 'C555ES units sounds like a perfect guinea pig to me :emoji_thumbsup: . While you're doing that, maybe I'll get the Ah! upsampler board and compare notes with you ;) .
Doug

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug, that's true. If Matthew fries one, I always have another. ;)
Just kidding, Matthew. ;)
Doug, if you do get the upsampler for the Ah!, please let me know. I may still get it myself at some point.

Matthew Anker

Stunt Coordinator
Gee Keith, I wouldn't worry about frying a 555ES, but those little DVD players are another story. Remember, If I kill yours, then you get mine.

Those darn Sony warrantys slow down my business. I'll see a big boost in 2006 I figure.

KeithH

Senior HTF Member
Doug, good point. Of course, the people who bought one from unauthorized dealers might as well have their players modified now. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks