What's new

How many of you still change your own oil? (1 Viewer)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I do, because I'm CHEAP :)
just serviced my roommate's paseo for her, OMG it was the easiest change EVAR! it's the first car I've done in long time that could run up my ramps with no problems and not drag the front clip, and it's the lowest to the ground! Also the oil filter is right up top in the front where you can access it from above. Very nicely designed. Dunno if that's the norm for toyota or not.
my nissan on the other hand, won't clear my ramps, and the filter is on the bottom, over and kind of above the transaxle, where it dumps all the oil from the canister down your arm. yay nissan :angry:
My motorcycle is CAKE, it uses replaceable media filters, and an upper and lower drain plug. drain the oil, pop off 2 allen screws and a little cover comes off the side of the engine where the element is, just pull it out and replace, it's like a 5 minute job.
[/useless thread]

Bob-N

Supporting Actor
I do. My BMW has a filter canister where you just drop in the cartridge filter, drain the oil from the bottom (clears using Rhino ramps) refill on the very top of the engine (not from a tube) and go.

Only thing is that the oil isn't cheap ($4/qt). I forgot how much the filters are but as IRC, got them 3 for 2 deal which probably works out to about $5 per.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I do, also because I'm cheap.:)
I use synthetic in two of my cars, so changing it myself saves a bit of $$ (synthetic changes at the local Mobil are $52.95). I can do it for about $22 per car, and it takes me all of 15 minutes, including cleanup time. I usually don't get a drop on the ground, and only one or two small drops on my hands.
Todd

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
i used to with my rx-7's (86 & 89) - the oil filter was on top so it was a cinch.
ever since i got older and lazier i just take it (94 accord) to jiffy lube.
ususally costs me about 30 bucks. for the amount of time i save, plus what i figure i'd spend in materials, plus the worry of properly disposing of the oil, plus the convenience factor...
welp, just call me lazy-bones! 30 bucks is so worth it. :emoji_thumbsup:

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
LoL
I use mobil 1 in my altima, have since it was new basically (well 5k miles or so I switched over) I'm running castrol 5w30 in the roommate's paseo because it has like 108k and that would be messy to switch over. The bike I use semi synth motul cycle oil, since the clutch, transmission, and engine share the same bath on most motorcycles it's a little picky.
I use good old fram filters on the cars, they're cheap, and available. The media for the bike I pay about 18$ for 2 filters.

the ramps I have are some metal ones I got for Xmas years back from sears, I really should invest in some new ones that aren't as steep.

Ken Garrison

Supporting Actor
I just go to Jiffy Lube. Besides. My engine is located under the driver and passenger seat. I'd have the crawl WAY under there to get to the drain plug. All I gotta do is drive over that big hole at Jiffy Lube and they'll do it. No big deal. I do, however, do my own oil changes on my lawn mower. My vehicle is one of them Toyota Vans. Lot of mechanics RUN when these things drive up. They ain't that hard to work on. Just gotta know how to access the engine.

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
I take my cars in to get the oil changed, because my laziness and procrastination towards the task outweigh any desire to save a few dollars. With a coupon, I can usually get an oil change for a little over $20.

AllanN

Supporting Actor
Although I know I was not required to I had my oil changed at the dealership while my truck was under warranty. It was only $22 and they also did a 14 point inspection. I figure this way THEY have all the records with mileage indicators so if there was a engine problem they could not blame me for improper maintenance. The first time changing the oil in my Ranger was a bitch because the filter is right by the exhaust manifold and the steering column. It was a pain to get off by hand (especially because the exhaust manifold was really hot) but after I got a ratcheting filter wrench it was a snap. The truck is already far enough off the ground that I can get completely under it without having to jack it up. My old Toyota was a snap because you could partially stand in the engine compartment because the engine was so small. My cavalier was a bit harder, it was next to impossible to get to the filter unless you took the front passenger tire off and unbolted the splash guard.

All in all I have always changed the oil in my cars accept for two years that my Ranger was under factory warranty.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
It costs $3 for a Fram oil filter. $2 x 5 quarts of oil = bout $13+ tax

I have a pretty big oil pan that can be used for 3 oil changes so I don't have to drop off the oil at kraagen every 3k miles.

The problem is my oil filter on my V6 94' 4runner is in a bitch of a location. It usually takes me 10 minutes to take the filter off because I can barely get my hand in there. The awkward position leaves me no hand torque and to top it off, the filter is open end facing down. So when I do get it off, the oil spills out of the filter.

I've gotten better and the oil spills in the pan, but I like saving some $ and it usually takes me about 30 minutes.

I also changed my transmission filter and fluid twice, and that saves me $130 (quote from pep boys). I also flushed my coolant and used a prestone cleaner that got rid of the brown fluid for about a year.

Jared_B

Supporting Actor
Up until just recently, my BMW was under the free maintenance program and oil changes were covered. Now, I'll be doing the changes myself. I think my dealership charges around $60 to do it, which is insane.

Chris Moe

Screenwriter
I do it myself because I dont like anyone else messing with my car if at all possible. Plus I enjoy working on my car.

Jim_F

Screenwriter
:b

I never thought I'd have to sign in on the wussy side of this issue. It's just too convenient to do the drive thru thing.

Twice I've gotten my punishment for this easy way, though. Once the guy forgot to replace the gasket for the oil plug and I leaked 3 qts in 1 day before I came out of work and saw the pool under my car. Another time I started belching blue smoke as soon as I entered a freeway after an oil change. After 2 mechanics diagosed my car with "blow by" and insisted I needed a ring job, I deduced that they had added the oil twice-drained a couple quarts, problem solved.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Nope. When the dealer will do it for $16.99 and wash the car or give us a free car wash coupon. It's a no brainer.
Peace Out~:D

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Nope. When the dealer will do it for $16.99 and wash the car or give us a free car wash coupon. It's a no brainer.
I tried the dealer once, and it took 2 hours. It was only $16.95 (dino juice in the Honda), but two hours...
I have better things to do with my time off, which is precisely WHY I do it. And, I've never messed it up. Ask Jiffy Lube to duplicate that result.:)

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I despise dealers, my nissan has been to the dealer once (the only time it needed a repair, the upper radiator hose popped off one SUPER cold ND morning so it was under warranty)

Marvin

Screenwriter
Real Name
Marvin
I do. I don't trust those Jiffy Lube drive through places so if I didn't do it, I'd have to make an appointment somewhere, get a ride to work etc. It doesn't take that long to change it and costs me between $7 and $10 for oil and filter.

Chuck C

Senior HTF Member
I take my car to the dealer b/c 1) they know those crafty Northstar engines inside and out and 2) I'm with Marvin...I don't trust quick-oil change stops. They also wash my car ;) but they dont dry it :frowning:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I tried the dealer once, and it took 2 hours. It was only $16.95 (dino juice in the Honda), but two hours...I have better things to do with my time off,
Well so do I, that is why I do not wait. My wife and I drive up, drop off her van and off we go. We come back and pick it up later. Takes less time than waiting at Jiffy Lube.
Peace Out~:D

Philip Hamm

Senior HTF Member
I do it on my motorcycle, it's ridiculously easy. I don't on my car though because it's covered by the manufacturer for a while more though.

Dave Gorman

Supporting Actor
Given my utter and complete mechanical ineptitude, I gladly pay someone to do it!! If I were to attempt it myself, I'm certain I would somehow find a way to destroy the car beyond repair!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks