What's new

How many of you have actually had neighbors complain about your HT? (1 Viewer)

Robert_Gaither

Screenwriter
I differ on some of the posts here as I think courtesy should always be observed. I think if I lived in an apartment then I would make certain arangement with my neighbors about what would be a good time for me to listen (I believe in compromise). I think a good first step if possible is to be friends and invite them as this should make them far more tolerant when you stretch that spider...

Bruce Chang

Second Unit
Every time I watch die hard 2, my upstairs neighbor complains. It was only 6pm on a sunday night! M-T I don't watch movies, F night to Sunday I crank it up.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Gosh I almost hate to jump in again...
I love LOUD:D :D music and good HT. However if I lived in an apartment, and I have, you share the space with others. These others, trust me, no more want to be there and hear that than you want to hear them. As much as you hate their "whinning" they hate it even worse.
I don't know the exact law but it speaks of "peaceful enjoyment" which includes but not limited to being able to enjoy your home and not be disturbed by your neighbors. All noises must be "reasonable" (What is that...a lawyer word).
Don't get me wrong...I too have had neighbors that had nothing better to do to entertain themselves than to make my life as miserable as theirs, so it seemed.
When selecting a place to live this is one thing you MUST consider....THE NEIGHBORS!!!
Again don't get me wrong, I've been there and done that, and it stinks.
In my previous post did I mention I LOVE THE COUNTRY :D :D :D
I still own a house in a large city in Virginia that even though it is a house seperated by typical yards I could not enjoy at levels I would like. Where we live now...long live JP, Yentl, Yanni, & OZZY...as loud as we want!!!:b
Phil

shane_watson

Stunt Coordinator
i live in a condo and get comlints from my puny sony system.....just wait till my paradigms and svs get here....im in the jailhouse now!!!

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I took the word "Poll" out of the thread title, otherwise, I would be inclined to move this thread to the polls area which I don't really want to do.

Anyway, I am one of the lucky ones whos neigbours have never complained about the HT noise.

Cam S

Screenwriter
I only have neighbours on the one side of me, the ones on the other side are 300 yards away. I know the ones are close enough (bout 20 feet apart) to feel my bass, but they have never complained, even when I crank the speakers outside!

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
No complaints from my neighbors but I think it's because they are too nice. My HT room is one story above theirs and our houses are separated by about 20 feet.
My mom talked with them and they know I play movies loud. Their reply was "Oh no it's ok it doesn't bother us". They just had a newborn baby and my mom asked if it woke up their baby and they said "Oh no, she was already up".
I think those neighbors are too kind so I'd better tone it down on those friday night movies. Currently I use a single 15" tempest in an adire aligment and I plan to add another.
At my friends home theater he has a movie room with a front projector on a 10 foot screen. His home theater is 3 stories underground in a Casa Grande. We daisy chained 3 subs and a Bose base module for fun (His dad goes full out bose). Not a complaint at 3AM, even from his parents who slept 2 stories up.
That's the kinda home I want, I'll just need to save up a few mil to get one though. :frowning:

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
How is it that many of you talk about pictures falling off walls and such? Mine shake a little but are nowhere close to falling off. I have a tempest based sonotube and hit over 110dB's easily with the THX intro on TPM, but only did it a couple of times because it is literally down right scary! Anyway, I still have yet to knock anything off any walls or shelves. Maybe you guys that have the picture problem should secure them better.

Michael Lomker

Stunt Coordinator
Jeff, a lot people actually watch their HT at the volume that you're talking about. I believe that Dolby reference level is 105 db at the peaks. I just saw "The Bourne Identity" last friday and the theater easily hit those levels on peaks.
Back to the subject, though...I do live in an apartment and I did buy an SVS 16-46 PCi a week back. I run it at about 10 db lower than my mains and I typically watch movies/tv at about 65 db. I still think it is worthwhile having the sub because it adds so much more to movies even at low listening levels. My volume settings will never rattle anything but when a car drives by on the TV playing rap music or the actors walk into a night club....it sounds *real*. That's what's most important to me.
Of course, I did dial in the sub at reference level just once....the rumble from the pod-race scene in SWE1 was amazing! :)

BryanZ

Screenwriter
Haven't had them complain as of yet. However, it is likely due to my not running the system at reference levels all the time. Normally it is about 10dbs under reference. I also try to make sure when I do play at reference levels it isn't after 11 pm. Seems like that little bit of common sense and courtesy has gone a long way.

Paul_Dunlop

Second Unit
Hi

I live in a condo and have the neighbours bedroom wall on the other side of my couch in the TV area - i ended up changing my sub from a Rear Ported sub (firing at the shared wall), to an Energy 8.2 with a Front port - this seems to have helped me limit the bass noise a lot.

I only had the guy bang on the wall once - i was running the Pod race scene for my niece and nephews at -18 on a Denon - way too loud - the kids loved the volume though

i usually listen at -27 for movies, which is about 60 or 65dB.

i follow the 'not after 11:00pm and not early on weekends' rule and it seems to work OK

I also don't mind my neighbours playing music a little loud once in a while - everyone likes to listen a little louder sometimes.

Matt

Grip
I just have to chime in. People who are not considerate enough to keep their systems turned down when they live in apartments are damn annoying. It doesn't matter if you only play your system Friday through Sunday. Have you talked to your neighbors and found out when they are home and what hours they actually work? The neighbors shouldn't have to come talk to you about how loud your system is. If you are going to play it loud, go talk to them FIRST. It is the polite thing to do and at least shows them that you have some respect for them.

A few people here have expressed a 'I couldn't care less' attitude because they feel they have a right to crank up their system as long as it isn't during a certain time of day. Why should a neighbor show you the common courtesy of talking to you about it before they call the cops? You didn't show them any....

Matt

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
I've got a pretty divergent opinion on this one. Anyone throwing down the kind of jack this hobby requires had better already own a house.

What's the point in dropping nearly 10K on an HT when you could put that on a down payment for a house. Not financially sound decision making.

Cary P

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry, but not having the dough to buy a house is no excuse to crank up the subwoofer in an apartment. I have to agree with Anton here, this kind of behavior is just obnoxious, self-absorbed, and inconsiderate. If I was the landlord or property manager and was receiving complaints about subwoofer noise, I would not hesitate in evicting the perpetrator.

Now don't get me wrong, I'm just as enthusiastic about big, solid bass as anyone. As a matter of fact, I'm saving for an SVS 20-39 PC-Plus as we speak. But I would never consider buying such a beast if I still lived in an apartment.

Blaring music and noise can usually be masked by closing the windows or keeping the volume below 60db or so, but throbbing bass traveling through walls and floors is another matter. It is very difficult to control bass waves, and the constant pounding can be very annoying to neighbors, especially those living directly below, above, or to the side.

And I don't care what time of day it is. If someone is a rent-paying apartment dweller, they are entitled to enjoy a nice dinner at home or a quiet afternoon of reading without being disturbed by the testosterone-fueled racket of some two-bit punk.

Cary

Cam S

Screenwriter
What's the point in dropping nearly 10K on an HT when you could put that on a down payment for a house. Not financially sound decision making.
What the hell are you talking? If I spend a few grand on speakers, that means i'm a poor decision maker? Did you ever think that some poeple can't live in a house for various reasons, or they are still living with their parents, like myself. I've bought a 15 thousand dollar car, 4 thousand dollar stereo for the car, 3 thousand for the home theater, and several thousand for my R/C hobby. I chose to continue living at home because it just didn't make sense to move out right now. I spend my money on what I want, when I want, thanks.

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
And 10K won't even get you 1/6th the way to a down payment in the bay area CA. You'll need over 60K just for the DP. And we're talking 2 BR 1 Bath 50 year old house. No this is not a Joke!!!

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
A long long time ago... (no this isn't american pie)

...I lived in an apartment. This was in the 80's. My neighbour liked to push free weights (metal) at 6:45 every morning.

M-Friday no big deal (was still crappy to listen to the CLANK CLANK CLANK though) but Saturday and Sunday?

So one Sunday Morning I absolutely cranked AC/DC on the system (my old H/K two channel) for 15 minutes straight. He got the hint.

Owning a condo or renting and apartment and chosing to sink vast sums of money into high output systems does not give anyone the right to impose their lifestyle on others. Your bylaws, lease, or rental agreement will spell this out, as will the law.

If your condo/apartment neighbours were the members of some off the wall cult, and had people over chanting at reference levels til 11:00 p.m. on a worknight, would this be okay with you?

Stephen Houdek

Second Unit
Real Name
S
Your tone is uncalled for Mr. Cam S. Realx son.

Yes, of course I realize there are many reasons for not owning a house. I too realize not everyone here blows 10 grand on HT. I further realize 10K won't buy squat in many locales.

My point still stands. From a pure financial perspective if you rent, you are "generally" better off putting that 10K toward a downpayment on a house.

You can argue different situations and personal taste etc.....But there are plenty of people out there that just don't know any better, seems to be an epidemic in BC.

BobJ

Stunt Coordinator
I just have to chime in. People who are not considerate enough to keep their systems turned down when they live in apartments are damn annoying.
I have to agree with this and the other similar sediments. I have been on both sides of the coin in the past when I lived in an apartment situation while owning a small HT setup.
Being considerate of one's neighbors is just part of apartment living. I was the one who made the decision to live in a apartment, so it's only fair that I consider those living around me.
I once had an upstairs neighbor who would play his tunes so loud at night that I had to scream to carry on a conversion in my own apartment. When I went up to chat with him about it, his attitude was "f*** off, I paid my rent so I can be as loud as I want." I didn't call the cops, but I did talk with the manager and it turns out that ALL of the people living around him on three floors were complaining. She spoke with him about it and it didn't stop so he was soon evicted.
Depending upon an apartment's construction, subs can set up some serious vibrations in surrounding units.
I agree with getting to know one's neighbors because as others have said, depending upon their circumstances even loud play during the afternoon is too much. Trust me I know, having worked night shifts before and having to sleep during the day.
The comments on financial priorities also make good sense. :emoji_thumbsup:
To get the most out of this hobby, it really helps to have a house.:)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks