What's new

How many of you have actually had neighbors complain about your HT? (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Jason: I live in a townhouse and am in the same situation as you, I have B&W 303's now but still can play at reference with my Velo CHt-15 sub.

I put my sub on an outside wall and it's in the basement, I watched Harry Potter at -5db from reference and they didn't complain, although I had a sinking feeling on some loud scenes.

I just moved into this place in May and it's a new home, apparently the sound proofing is good, but we can hear odd things like hammering etc, so it's not perfect. Once I'm done my theatre I will see how it is for them, I'm sure the other neighbour (I'm an inside unit) shouldn't hear it as we don't really share a wall with the theatre with them.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
The thing that prompted me to buy a house in 1993 was my mother-fucking shared-wall neighbors started playing "Achy Breaky Heart" at reference +10 or so, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
Well, you get the picture. I had never played anything loud there (my pre-HT days) so I don't know what they were going on about, but that was the camel's back for me. So I definitely sympathize with the neighbors of some of the more inconsiderate apartment dwellers here. :thumbsdown:

Frank_S

Supporting Actor
The thing that prompted me to buy a house in 1993 was my mother-fucking shared-wall neighbors started playing "Achy Breaky Heart" at reference +10 or so, over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and
C'mon Mark, that's a great song. :laugh:

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
Damnit I'm still laughing at that post... :D
(and you can break my heart, my... )
Now if I could only get that POS song out of my head.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
I am looking to replace my JBL NSP-1 (though I have N26's as mains) with Axiom M22's all around, an Axiom VP150 center...
ReggieW,
As an Axiom man myself, I can say that sounds like a sweet rig. You're gonna dig that VP150...I've had mine for about a month now (upgraded from a VP100) and it has performed wonderfully since day one.

Cam S

Screenwriter
Stephen, I'm calm, thanks, and I'd rather not be called "son", that's reserved for my dad.

you seem to be giving financial advice to poeple who like to spend some money on home theater, I think they can handle their money just fine though.

How is it an "epidemic" in BC, that's BS. try buying a house on the coast, it's easily gonna cost you half a million for an average sized house, and the DP on that is gonna be a tad bit over 10 grand. Your idea of an "epidemic" is everywhere, not just BC. But thanks for pointing the finger anyways.

I've got priorities, I don't need to move out, so it isn't a priority.

I still wouldn't see any problem with have a nice home audio setup when living in a condo/apartment either, just because they have a nice setup doesn't mean they are gonna crank it. Maybe they bought what the bought thinking of the future, and the house that they will own.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Damn you Mark...Your no better than your neighbors!!!!
Now I can't get that song out of my head:angry: :D :angry:
Just kidding Mark:D :D :D
Did you ever try to just join them and perhap do some "line dancing" with them.:D :D :D
Why you could have made a great friend. With your HT you could have shown them the videos from 10 years ago with line dancing instructions.:D :emoji_thumbsup: :D
I think I would have pitched a tent.:emoji_thumbsup:
Phil

VinceB

Auditioning
ya know,i thought the idea of this thread was to tell our experiences we've had about people complaining about our HT,s and share stories and yuk it up. This is a hobby like none other and none ht people don't understand why we watch movies loud and spend so much money on sound. i believe no one means to piss their neighbors off. this thread has turned into more of people who have hometheaters in their house bashing those of us who have hometheaters in their apartment/condo/townhouse. i thought we were a community of people who love hometheater period, no matter where its placed. 'Home' is a concept. whether you live in a house, apartment, or cardboard box, that's your home. if you've got a tv, a stereo, and at least 2 speakers hooked up to it in your cardboard box, then a least to me, that's a hometheater. it sucks to feel like you don't belong to this community because your hometheater is in an apartment.

vince

Cam S

Screenwriter
Well said Vince! Now try getting that across to everyone esle.

poeple are getting mad at other people just cuz they have neighbours who complain, well that's what the thread title is, so that's the story they told.

Phil Mays

Second Unit
Vince,

I'm sure no offense intended. It may seem that way, but I can tell you in my less courtious days I disturbed as many people living in a house as I did in an apartment, perhaps even more.

I think the jist is more of politness to neighbors, whether in an apartment, house, or cardboard box. :b

But your right about the thread and were all HTr's together.

Phil

Doug_H

Supporting Actor
I live in a duplex that has a soundproof double wall between the units. My neighbor (and best bud) is also into HT but we never hear each other inside the house. Go outside and you can hear it clear as day. We have managed to get complaints from people 2 doors down and from across the street... We invited everyone over and they gained and understanding of what was going on. We agreed on hour limits 10:00pm during the week and midnight on weekends. Everyone is happy and I now have several more peple to enjoy movies with.

JeffreyMercado

Second Unit
I live in a cheapo apartment in the NYC and I have a SVS 16-46plus. I love my sub, I listen to it at reference levels. I feel my building will not be up for long. But the neibors have never complained. Maybe the fact that I am 6'3 and 300 pounds has something to do with it.

John Geelan

Screenwriter
I received my SVS sub this past winter so the neighbors really haven't heard it yet at full force.
Now that its finally warming up here on LI, the neighbors will be in for a rude awakening when one of these days I put on a disc with the windows open.
Nobody else on my block or even in the area has a system even remotely like mine.
JohnG:D

KeithBR

Agent
If my neighbors ever complained about my HT the makers of my speakers, subs and hardware would get copies of the police reports so they could post them on their web sites, magazines and any other form of advertisements they do praising themselves of what incredible products they make.
The closest neighbor to me is 100 yards in either direction. You can hear my sound system when you are halfway up my driveway though. When a friend of mine was going to pay me a visit for the first time since my move, he told me (heavy sarcasm - HT envy on his part)to just crank the volume of my HT and he will take it from there when he is within 10 miles of my home. :)

Matt

Grip
I received my SVS sub this past winter so the neighbors really haven't heard it yet at full force.

Now that its finally warming up here on LI, the neighbors will be in for a rude awakening when one of these days I put on a disc with the windows open.

Nobody else on my block or even in the area has a system even remotely like mine.

JohnG
Is this really their attitude or was there some sarcasm/joking involved? While this thread hasn't stayed on its original course, I think it has managed to get some people to think about how their home theater system may affect those around them.

Matt

VinceB

Auditioning

Thanks Phil and Cam S,
I'm glad that you got what i was trying to say, when others apparently can not. This thread was started with a simple question. If you want to educate those of us with hometheaters in places other than houses and brow beat us about disturbing neighbors, perhaps you should start another thread.

vince

Robert Burkes

Second Unit
Try living in a dorm room where your suite-mates are drunk frat jerks who think it's okay for them to party all night and scream obscenities at you because you're an independant while you're trying to get some sleep for class the next day, but it's not okay for you and your friends to watch a movie after class during broad daylight while they're trying to nap to cure their hangovers. They called campus security on me at 4:00 in the afternoon. Whatever. Well, I'll be living in a different dorm next semester, so I'll see how my neighbors are there. Remember what it was like in the dorms, and enjoy your apartments people. Later!

Rob

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Robert: I've been there, I tried to sleep at night and well play music etc during the day but my roommate slept till 4 in the aft (never went to class) and was up all night, it was like my worst nightmare! UGH I hated that.

Timothy_A.

Agent
Great stories! I had a neighbor tell some of the other neighbors she thought I was violating the zoning code because she thought I had some sort of industrial machinery operating in my house.

What has worked for me now is to tell the neighbors up front that I'm really into home theater and to let me know if it's ever too loud. No complaints since then but several interesting questions from others looking to get into HT.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks