What's new

How many of you have actually had neighbors complain about your HT? (1 Viewer)

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
Pretty sad cause I dont have my sub yet (Adire Rava coming later this week) but my neighbors are already complaning about my Klipsch RF3's hooked up to my Denon 3802 along with my Kef 101 bookshelves. Can't wait to get my sub!
How is it that you derive pleasure out of making life miserable for those around you?
:thumbsdown:

Richard Harvey

Stunt Coordinator
Well, my horror story was while living in a 3-story apartment in Fremont, caught on the second floor between two neighbors. After a couple of weeks, we were having noise problems with our upstairs neighbor. We would call the front office and nicely ask them if they could mention it to the tenant; we didn't want to cause trouble, but the bass was simply tremendous.

After another couple of weeks, nothing had changed. I would go upstair and knock on their door, and they REFUSED to come to the door! I would sit there pounding their door screaming at them. I sent another nastygram to the front office, and was assured they would try to take care of the problem.

Well, Saturday night came and I guess they decided to throw a big ass party. The thumping was so obtrusive, I was going out of my mind. Another trip upstair, standing in the hallways banging on their door, and they still refused to come to the door. I had reached my limit. I went downstairs and called the cops and filed a disturbing the peace complaint. Then, it happened -- the police arrive, and THEY can't get the people to come to the door. I contact the office answering service (after hours) and tell them we have the city police standing here needing access to the apartment. The manager meets us about 20 minutes later, and politely taps on the door -- one try, two tries, three tries, no answer. So, she pulls out her master keys, opens the door and......

THE ENTIRE APARTMENT IS EMPTY!!!

I don't think my face has been redder in my life. What was funny is even the cops were convinced the sound was coming from this apartment. Only goes to prove that bass really is non-directional! Well, we did track down the culprits that night, and to my welcome surprise (and embarrasment) they were the nicest people in the world, had no idea they were bothering us, and we never heard bass again from the night forward.

Rich

Joe Tilley

Supporting Actor
Tony, that is a pretty ignorant comment if you are actually referring to having fun pissing off your neighbors. I cant understand people like this that live off making other people mad. I've had to put up with a old neighbor that wouldn't quit jumping on the floor upstairs when I lived in my old apartment. I called the cops almost every night & complained to my land lord several times before the land lord finally caught them in the act & evicted them.
But the funny part was I was the asshole because they got kicked out for being just that:rolleyes

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
I definitely do believe in consideration when it comes to sound levels. I, personally, will set my volume to about 10-15 under reference. I live in a house with neighbors all around me. Whenever I play my equipment after 6:00PM, I make sure that my doors and windows are shut. I didn't think this would do a significant amount, but still I thought it's something. I tend to do this, actually regardless of what time of day it is. But, especially after 6:00 I will make sure the doors and windows are closed. One night however, I didn't shut one of my windows. It was a Saturday night at almost exactly 10:00, and I was demoing Toy Story 2 to a few of my work colleagues, and shortly before Buzz Lightyear lands on the alien planet, my brother who was living with us at the time, comes bursting into the room, saying, "turn it down now!" Mind you, this brother of mine is another one who enjoys listening to things at the same level as I do, so my first thought was that I couldn't understand why he was telling me to turn it down. He left the room and I sat and pondered for a minute or so, then I went out to where he was. I asked him what was wrong and why he told me to turn it down. He said, "You couldn't hear it? the neighbors behind us were banging on the fence, yelling that it was too loud!" I thought that was kind of odd since they never complained. Later that night I realized I had left the window open, and I understood why they complained. My front speakers were pointed directly at the window. Needless to say, I haven't made that mistake again. And for the most part they are very considerate on letting me play my dvds and music at such high levels. But all in all, I think a level of consideration on my part and on the parts of others with home theater equipment or stereos is needed. Sound travels a lot better than you think. I've walked outside of the house many times to see if I can hear things, and surely enough, it seemed quiet enough, but of course that's because I am used to listening to it at my volume anyway, so I just judge what I think is appropriate and at what time.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
Funny you should bring this subject up Jeff. About two years ago one of the elderly ladies in the neighborhood. Was walking past my house and walked up and started knocking on the door. The only reason I knew she was there because the door and window are to the left of my tv. She proceded to complain that I was shaking the neighbors awnings. The funny thing was she was not complaining that she could hear it at her place. But because she could hear it walking by the house and the neigbors house was vibrating, lmao. I have a pair of Altec Voice Of The Theater cabnets for my main speakers. They have dual 15" woofers so I have 4 15" woofers in my living room. So the bass hits really nice.:D Another funny incident was, I was mowing the front yard and so was my neighbor. I had the front door wide open and had my stereo turned up just alittle, lol. I was listening to my Eagles Hotel California CD. When I went in and proceded to place another CD in the player. I then heard the neighbor yelling for me to come outside. To my amazement he said Hey I was listening to that. And he asked me if I would play it again and gave me a big thumbs up when I said sure. :)

Jim-G

Auditioning
I was cuttin gthe grass one day and my neighbor came out and sid I must have a good subwoofer for my theater.. lol

TonyTran

Auditioning
Tony, that is a pretty ignorant comment if you are actually referring to having fun pissing off your neighbors. I cant understand people like this that live off making other people mad. I've had to put up with a old neighbor that wouldn't quit jumping on the floor upstairs when I lived in my old apartment. I called the cops almost every night & complained to my land lord several times before the land lord finally caught them in the act & evicted them.
1st - I was playing my music at 6pm on a Fri night.
2nd - volume was only at -35 on my Denon 3802 which is not that loud at all as it goes to +28?.

Just last Fri - I had friends over at 8pm and we were laughing loud (all my windows were closed) and they banged on the wall to make us quiet.
And to top things off - my parents were over my house the other day (keep in mind both my parents cannot stand loud music) and my dad turned on my stereo and neighbors came over 2 mins later and complained. My parents were kindof surprised cause they didnt think it was loud at all yet the neighbors complained and it was only 6pm! Keep in mind I have 5 sets of neighbors and only 1 set complains.
I honestly think that the neighbors that keep complainin have issues and if they want peace and quiet after 6pm everyday, they should consider moving into a retirement home.
Btw - I live in a townhome that is attached to 5 other homes so its not like they live underneath and getting the thumps from the bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vasyear
Recent bookmarks