What's new

How long should a good quality receiver last? (1 Viewer)

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
How many years would you expect a good quality receiver (higher end B&K, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha) to last before something would go on it that would not be worth reparing. Say more than couple hundred to repair.

If you haven't seen my other threads the reason I'm asking is I'm considering buying a 5 year old B&K or some other used higher end receiver. Are my odds good or bad to expect another 3-5 years trouble free out of the unit.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
My Denon Avr-3600 is 6 years old,though it's been in reteriment for the last 2 years,but it could go another 6 years or more, I'm sure if I would need it.
Are you buying from a stranger or someone you know?
If it's from a stranger,then it's "gamble" IMO.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
It's a stranger on Audiogon, but the guy has a bunch of good feedback from guys with good feedback. I know it's a small gamble, and that's why I'm hesitant and posting a bunch of threads wanting people to tell me to just do it already :p)

Derek1

Agent
It sometimes seems to be just luck of the draw but I have had a Pioneer VSX-5000 since 1989 that was handed down to me from my father. I still use it to this day on my PC.

I upgraded to a Sony STR-DE1011 around 1992. That was a hell of a receiver for the era. It served me well till I moved to seperates. This receiver is still in use in my bedroom system.

I have been using a Sony TA-E9000ES Pre-Amp for the last three or four years. I have never had any trouble with the above equipment, not a single service visit.Collectivly that's almost 30 years of product life without a hiccup.

Serge Breton

Supporting Actor
Dustin,

DAC's along with much of the circuitry has been much improved over the past 5 years. Why not go for a newer receiver? You can still have 5.1 sound on a 7.1 receiver, you'll get higher resolution DAC's, a true 6 channel passthrough for upgradability purposes(depending on manufacturer), better bass management (again depending on man.)not to mention a newer unit with a warranty.

I love my B&K amp but the 202 receiver is getting dated now even if you only need 5.1 surround in my opinion. I think for $800 bones, a Denon 3802/3803, HK 520/525 or Pioneer Elite VSX45TX will sound just as good as the B&K and add alot of features and flexibility. You may not need it now but may need some of the features at some point. Sounds like your purchase will hold you over for awhile so something to keep you happy is in order:)

Yogi

Screenwriter
A good receiver or amp will last atleast 15-20 years if operated within its operating parameters and under room temperature.

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
I think they will last a long time, Man I still have a sears receiver with an 8 track player in my parents basement that's at least 20 years old that works fine still. Needs a little cleaning on the pots to get rid of static on the volume knob but that's it.

Serge, Dustin is thinking of fairly high end receivers here for $800 bones. He was looking at units such ask the Denon 4800 which is only 1 model off, the 4802 was just released the 4801 never existed. This was a fairly high priced unit. And is not suffereing from old Dac technology that's for sure. Only thing really missing would be the extra amplification of the 7 channels and the neo 6.1 and discrete decoding.

I'd go for a good quality older receiver for that price, to me it sounds like a great deal. I have a 4800 and don't plan on changing it for a long time, I don't see the need really.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
My wife wanted a FM radio, I had a pair of decent bookshelfs with nothing to do so I went to a famous online aucton site and bought her a 35wpc Pioneer reciever built in 74, 1 owner and about the nicest looking wooden case blue light face, I was in love, this thing is perfect in every way for a total price of 31.00 dollars shipped, starting to wear a path in the floor again. Put a remote on one of these and you got good cheap music.
I have a Marantz 140 amp that I left on over 7 years and still use it from time to time, I would have fixed her up with that but she wanted a reciever like we had when we met, even listened to a little Moody Blues, everything (almost)was there we were back in time laying on the floor with the speakers on each side of us. Who says if you heard it today it would sound like crap? ? ? They are wrong, the old pioneer even lights up the room, at least enough for a smoke. . .

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Guy, sounds like the Pioneer I have at my parents house. It is damn solid and powerfull. Good FM reception too without an antenna. I have it running the mains for a cheap surround amplifier that only runs center and surrounds, Basically I dialed in the mains and my parents use the remove to control the volume on the other unit. It works like a charm.

RayJK

Stunt Coordinator
I have a Marantz receiver I bought in '74 that still works. I had to replace one of the panel lights about 4 years ago and that cost me a buck and 15 minutes of my time.

Mark All

Second Unit
Even inexpensive amps seem to last forever. I've gone from Akai to Sony to Onkyo to Yamaha to Denon receivers since 1982. The Akai needed something control-related replaced for $40 in 1994. Apart from that, they all work the same way they did when first broken in. Can't vouch for B&K reliability myself, but I haven't heard anything out of the ordinary about maintenance on them. Recent B&K amps and receivers tend to run warmer than most from what I've seen. Not to say that's a problem if they're designed with that in mind though.

Sounds like 3-5 years on almost any 5 year old receiver should be no problem in terms of reliability.

Khoa Tran

Supporting Actor
my yammy has been running for 13 years, i use it almost everyday 24 hours...it's still pumping out the same power and quality ever since...i just noticed as i was plugging some new components in, it's made in japan so that's why....

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
You could find working (and much sought-after) McIntosh vacuum-tube gear from the 1950s if you knew where to look!

If it has been well-designed and well-constructed and well-cared for, a piece of high-fidelity electronics should last for years (or decades).

Some controversial, high-end equipment in the recent past of two-channel audio gear (from the high-end audio era's looniest era, the early 1970s through the mid 1990s) has been of questionable durability—Audio Research's preamps and amps, Infinity's classic, two-channel Servo-Static 1 and 1A electrostatic panels and sub system from the early 1970s, etc.—but of notable quality and performance.

Most is of better durability, though. But if you find a well-preserved and -cared for Marantz Model 10B FM tuner from the early 1960s at anything less than $1,000, snap it up. (It was the state of the art of its day and has assumed legendary, classic status—and it will still be performing just fine.)

Sorry for going on and on.

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
I shoulda listened to you Brian. Waited a little too long and got home late when the final chance to make a decision came. But there is one other one listed that I don't know if it has been sold or not, so hopefully it will come through now that I've made a decision.

Jeff Savage

Second Unit
I am using a Fisher Tube amp from 1965 to power my front left and right mains in my HT :) It is still going strong.

Laters,
Jeff

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
royalserena
Recent bookmarks