What's new

How long if Outlaw 950 has a problem? (1 Viewer)

Legairre

Supporting Actor
Will,

I think all returns are B-stock vs a refurb( I could be rong here). I don't think a company can legally sell used products as new, but I'm sure some do. I'm not saying Outlaw would ever do this, but some internet companies have done it with receivers and other audio gear returned because some just didn't like the product even though there wasn't anything physically or mechanically wrong with it.

Outlaw does encourage a 30 day trial so I guess there could be a lot of B-Stock in perfect condition out there if people weren't happy with the product. I'd guess for the price that most people will be happy though.

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
Welcome back John Morris!
This board has been rather boaring lately without your presence;) I was going to start a thread entitled something like "outlaw to bad no logic 7" Just to get your started back into the flow of things.:D

J

John Morris

Heh, I can't tell you how often that's happened to me at B&M stores
LarryB: I actually shop for those customer returns and demo units at the local dealer. Back when I was pre-pro less, I let the local Tweeter's know that I was looking for a Ref 30 that they could sell to me for under $2K. A few weeks later, they called me and I bought a perfect customer returned Ref 30. Of course, I ended up returning the Ref 30 also, at which point they relegated it to demo service. I'd bet that if anyone asked to buy the demo unit, they'd get quoted the MSRP minus 10-15% and that's it, unless they knew the managers.
This week, I've been shopping for a demo or customer returned NAD C-160 preamp. So far, no luck, but I did get a very good offer on a NAD S-100 preamp perfect demo unit for $775. Unfortunately, the S-100 has neither the dedicated class A headphone amp nor the phono preamp of the C-160, so I passed on it.
While I was shopping for the NAD preamp, I got into a conversation with another shop over their pair of demo Aerial 10T speakers... he's getting back to me on that one. :D

J

John Morris

Hi John T! Thanks for the welcome!
This board has been rather boaring lately without your presence I was going to start a thread entitled something like "outlaw to bad no logic 7" Just to get your started back into the flow of things.
Whoa! Wait a minute! Do you mean to tell me that the Outlaw 950 [Italic]doesn't have Logic 7 processing[Italic]? :D

John Tompkins

Supporting Actor
I have shamed my fellow HTF members as I will admit that I haved used circuit city and myer emco to "borrow" an item for a couple of weeks. I actually told the CC guy that there was about a 5 percent chance that I would keep the item and he said no problem as there is a no questions asked return policy. for shame for shame for shame:b

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Oh, a point raised earlier, :)
Based on the "green button", and the physical proximity of the comapanies' (headquarters), I'd bet heavy money that *some* of the Outlaws are indeed renegades from NAD.
My opinion: based on NAD's reputation for quality sound, too bad they *seem* to be having a harder time in keeping up with the newer formats (DD EX, DTS-ES, etc.)
In other words, how many of us would jump at the chance to look at a NAD pre/pro? ...

Jack Kelsey

Agent
Sorry, Will, if I 'misread' your post re returning items to Outlaw. As you say yourself, this would be pretty bad if was done without genuine purchase in mind.

I have even seen it noted that it is unethical - if we may use the truly 'human' semantic content of the term 'ethics' - to 'use' any retailer or 'seller' for info if it is not related to the realistic possibility of purchase (have even heard that there is something in the Talmud to this effect).

As for the NAD/Outlaw 'connection,' it is my understanding through various websites that there is a core group of people that were instrumental in the NAD 'start-up' in the 70's and 80's that have 'wandered' into the Outlaw camp.

NAD changed their corporate make-up CONSIDERABLY about 10 years ago amd not every one previously involved was thrilled with the 'changes.' The most important change was that NAD had previously been run by its importers and distributors. It was first sold to a Danish company - and then later to a Canadian company - and the basic 'thought and decision process' changed dramatically! Also - much of the production moved to China which was protested not only for political reasons - but also QC/QA reasons.

W

Will

I have even seen it noted that it is unethical - if we may use the truly 'human' semantic content of the term 'ethics' - to 'use' any retailer or 'seller' for info if it is not related to the realistic possibility of purchase
I imagine most people who audition a product are interested in buying. But not everyone will buy. When products are borrowed for home audition from brick and morter stores, a prospective buyer may sometimes mislead the dealer by saying there was a higher probability of a buy, than there actually is.
Of course salesmen aren't necessarily that trustworthy either, which may balance the equation a little. There's an old expression: buyers are liars and sellers are worse. :)
There can be ethical lapses on both sides of that equation, to be sure! But I agree that it's best to be ethical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks