How long if Outlaw 950 has a problem?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Steve G, Mar 18, 2002.

1. Steve G

Steve G Agent

With the 950 backed up and backlogged what happens IF there is a problem?After looking at the Rotel thread I got to wondering/worrying.

a: Will they have a reserve to draw from so you don't have to wait?

Actually, I was going to list4 or 5 scenarios but I think you get the point. I don't know if I'm ready to wait 2-3 more months then find out there's a problem. Will they do a fix and return to the top of the list and replace those units first or stop fix and replace. I've been following the Rotel thread and see they are having a problem. At least in the case of Rotel you can bring it back to the store and get a replacement or exchange immediately. What I'm concerned with is how far back will the Outlaw be pushed back even more for people at the near or bottom of the list.

It seems that the more competition in a given price range the harder the choice. Nice to see Rotel and Outlaw getting ready to turn high end up its ear. Best of luck to both Outlaw and Rotel and whoever winds up with whatever.

Steve

2. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

Steve,
    I'm an optimist so I think Outlaw would do what a lot of online retailers do. If there's a problem with your unit. They could take your credit card info and send you a new unit. Once you get the new unit, you ship back the broken unit within a certain amount or they charge your card again. This system works well, because you don't have to go without A unit while waitng for a new one. Now the availability of parts and getting new units from China could be another story. I don't think there's any way of telling. Maybe some people who owned the Outlaw 1050 receiver can tell us you how long it took to get there units fixed.
    Sorry I wasn't much help[​IMG]

3. Will

Will Guest

I believe Outlaw has a policy that if you don't like their pre/pro (or for that matter, their receiver) for ANY reason at all, you can return it within 30 days. You'll have to pay for the return shipping and of course you won't get any of your money back until they make sure you returned everything (remote, etc.) and that it's returned in excellent shape. I believe Outlaw then resells it as a B-stock item.

Hey, one way to let others get Outlaw pre/pro's cheaper down the road is to return yours and let them resell it as a B. B's traditionally are cheaper than new models.

4. Kevin C Brown

Kevin C Brown Producer

That's why I'm a waitin' until the Ides of March + 6 months to get mine. [​IMG] (Mid Sept.)
    Also gives me a chance to see if any of the "biggies" can get a pre/pro out in that time. (Denon, Yamaha, Onkyo, Marantz, etc.) I can dream, can't I? [​IMG]

5. Steve G

Steve G Agent

Thanks for the replies gents. I was just wondering about how far back the late comers could get pushed back. Too much demand for so little supply.I wish I had problems like this. I wonder if they have a percentage of pieces they will keep in reserve for any unforseen problems.
    BTW. Has anyone else noticed the strong family resemblance between the Outlaw and NAD lines. Having owned NAD and Atlantic Tech pieces over the years it seems like they are all kissing cousins.[​IMG]

6. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Guys: I don't know how they'd handle the 950 situation if there was a problem with your specific unit, but, I'd guess they'd send you out a new unit and cover the return costs of the faulty one. At least that was what they offered me when I returned my 1050. My guess is that they would handle a defective unit much differently than one on which they were offering a future upgrade? Then again, probably we could find out if we asked them.

Take Care,

merc

7. Sankar

Sankar Second Unit

Hey !! Welcome back, John!

8. Will

Will Guest

Yes welcome back. Please give our best regards to your very nice employee, Rusty J.

9. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Thanks Sankar and Will!
    It sure feels good to be back.

10. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

Welcome back John.

Did you do a comparison on the 950 and the AVM-20?

I'm interested in whether they sound almost identical in HT mode because of the crystal/cirrus DSP, and if there is any difference between the different cirrus DACs in each for digital PCM input.

Heard about your 1066 comparison, but I understand that situation.

11. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Bruce! I have not yet tested an AVM-20 in my home. I probably will not get one for at least a few months, if at all now, due to some other upcoming pre-pro beta testing I'm gonna be involved in. However, I did spend about 4 hours at a local dealer playing with the Anthem, and it was extremely quiet as well. I can't make any fair comparisons to the Outlaw 950 because I didn't use them in the same system, but I will say that during my short time with the Anthem, I didn't see anything I didn't like except for the absence of DPL2.

Also, the Anthem(AKM & Motorola) and the Outlaw 950(all Cirrus/Crystal) use totally different DACs, ADCs, and DSP chips.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help than this...

Oh yeah, and thanks for the welcome back.

12. Serge Breton

Serge Breton Supporting Actor

yes,

nice to have you back John!

13. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Thank you Serge!

14. Jack Kelsey

Jack Kelsey Agent

From a post by Will:

15. BruceD

BruceD Screenwriter

John,
    Talk about inserting foot in mouth[​IMG] , I really jumbled that DSP and DAC issue, but really I know better. Must be my weary mind after too much job hunting.
    Anyway, keep us posted on your testing adventures, as I really get a kick out of reading them.

16. Legairre

Legairre Supporting Actor

merc,

Like the other guys have said. Welcome back. Tell Rusty hello for me.

17. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Legairre: Thanks for the welcome back.
    Russ just tried to log on to HTF from the computer at his desk, but couldn't. His ID may still be blocked from getting onto HTF so I passed along your howdy to him. He can apparently still read HTF posts but is having problems logging on. I think he is gonna try another system in the office and see what happens. I don't have the time to help him avoid doing work right now, but maybe later, if he still doesn't get on, I'll let him try to log on from my computer and see what happens. Still, he yelled "hello" back at ya. [​IMG]

18. Steve G

Steve G Agent

Welcome back John.

I should've called this thread Welcome back Kotter...er uh John.

19. John Morris

John Morris Guest

Hi Steve: Thanks for the good wishes. Actually, I used to have a big fro, just like Gabe Kotter, back in the 1980s.[​IMG]

20. Will

Will Guest