What's new

How long have you been doing... (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Since I just passed my 10 year anniversary here at my current job, I started thinking about other things that I have done for this long. It might be neat to see what everyone else has on their list.

Since marriage and driving will probably be on the tops of most peoples lists, let's list the top 3 - 5 things that you have done the longest. Obviously we should rule out things like Living, Breathing, Eating, Sleeping, living in the same state etc. - I mean, let's list the things that we haven't done our whole lives.

I guess there would have to be a few rules. Perhaps the list has to consist of something you do on a fairly frequent basis...unless you're an alcoholic, saying you've been drinking for 10 years, I don't think that should really count...and unless you're either a hooker or REALLY good, having sex probably shouldn't be on the list either. :D Or things like "I've been voting for X number years" since you only vote every 2 years, so that shouldn't really count.

I wasn't sure if I should limit the list to things that we are currently still doing, but I guess that doesn't need to be a requirement. Although, we should probably mention if we are currently or not currently doing the items on our list.

Here's the top 3 that I can think of at the moment (all of which I am currently involved with):
20 years = Driving (i.e. I've had my drivers license)
12 years = I've had the same cell phone number
10 years = at my current job (which also includes the 100 mile commute :angry:)

kind of boring, except I am proud of the cell phone number thing, considering how many times people change their numbers.

What have you got?

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Take your three and double the years......except the cell phone 'cause that'd have to be a zero since I've never owned one.

Mort

Jim_F

Screenwriter
8 years in my present home

12 years in my current position

5 (almost) of those years on midnights

17 years with my current employer

21 years clean/sober

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

Apparantly the "Mark Hastings" roast isn't over. LOL!

My list:
Owned a dog for 8 years.
Rode a bus for 10 years.

What was this all about again??

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
17 years married.

17 years at current job (got the job offer at our wedding reception... and no, I didn't marry the boss's daughter. :) ).

11 years in our current home.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
18 years pursuing photography

9 years at my job

8.75 years in my home (in hindsight I should have waited until my six-month probation was over :))

8 years doing the HT thing

3.3 years driving my first new car

45 years playing the trombone

43 years bowling

41 years since I got my driver's license

34 years married to the same person

33 years in my career as a systems analyst

33 years playing in the same band

27 years living in the same house

20 years playing in the same symphony orchestra

15 years working for the same employer

Sorry, that's more than three - I guess I got carried away. :) BTW, these are all things I am still doing.

DougR

Second Unit
37 Years at Same Employer ( but just got Laid Off) "Happy Holidays"
25 Years Divorced
16 Years in "My" House
0 Years of Cell Phone ( don't want to be tied down...."and where were you at,I tried calling you?") :)

* 44 Years Driving

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Oh man! I completely forgot to add the one thing that made me want to start this thread :D When I had gone to the Dr.'s, I said something to the receptionist about the pains of "getting older" and she said "Bah! I've got a good 11 years on you!", but I told her that I had been having back problems since my surgery at age 23. I couldn't believe that was over 12 years ago! :eek:

When I thought back to that point, it was right after the time I had gotten my cell phone and was like "Oh man! I've had my cell phone for over 12 years???".

EDIT: I changed my original post because I accidentally put 20 years of driving, when I meant 25.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LMAO! Ok, get ready to laugh even more. I changed it back to 20 years because I was right the first time. Man, I'm really losing it in my old age. :D I don't know where the hell I got 25 years from?

I guess I wanted to try and boost my numbers after seeing such longer posts. :laugh:

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I've been driving the same car for 18 years.

Can anyone here beat that?

Yeah, the older you get, the faster time flies.

[Edit: Mort: :laugh:]

Jeff_CusBlues

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff
22 years at the same employer.

16 years happily married to the same lady.

26 years with a ruptured disk. The doctor who diagnosed wanted to do surgery. My 2nd opinion said no. 26 years later, I'm going strong and the original symptoms went away.

I've been drinking now for 31 years. Not excessively though.

10 years in my current house.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
;)

Passenger: How long have you been driving?
Driver: For 35 years!!!
Passenger: Then you better pull over and get some sleep!!!

:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks