What's new

How is Romper Stomper? (1 Viewer)

StephenA

Screenwriter
I saw this at the store and almost picked it up. Just wondering what people here thought of it. I haven't seen it in rental stores near me, so I can't rent it first. What can it be compared to? I like what movies I've seen Russell Crowe in, which wer Gladiator, LA Confidential, and Proof of Life.

Jeremy Illingworth

Supporting Actor
It doesn't compare to any of his other roles. Its a very powerful, well written, well acted movie. The look is 16mm low budget, but it works with the grittyness of the story and I'd rather have a good movie looking bad than a bad movie looking good. I accidentally speical ordered the pan and scan version from my B&M and opened it (didn't know there was more that one version and the package doesn't mention format) so I'm stuck with it. I'll sell it to you for $10 plus postage.

Anyways, pick it up. Super film. Made me cry; the first film to do that since Batman.

jeremy

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Romper Stomper is an intense and disturbing film. It isn't a great film, but Russell Crowe's performance as Hando, leader of a neo-nazi group, elevates it to an unforgettable film. Be prepared for some very upsetting scenes and language. It's also worth watching for Jacqueline McKenzie's performance as an abused girl who gets caught up in Hando's, uh, charisma. I bought the DVD to have in my collection, but I haven't watched it again. It's a tough view.

StephenA

Screenwriter
Is it any worse than American History X? Is it an assault on the senses like Requiem For a Dream? Those are two movies that people have said are hard to watch that I like.

Mick Wright

Second Unit
Imagine if American History X had a tougher, meaner older brother. The violence is brutally realistic, and most of the sex scenes, by the director's own admission, weren't simulated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks