"Signs": Vista Error? and Glitches?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Eric Huffstutler, Jan 6, 2003.

1. Eric Huffstutler

Eric Huffstutler Screenwriter

Eric Huffstutler
    I have to agree with the majority here. This release of "Signs" is not up to par with previous Vista releases. No trailer is also a horrific mistake in my book!

Now, received my copy in the mail a day early and already watched it and encountered a couple of glitches. I don't have the largest collection on the forum (300 discs) but enough to know how my player reacts. I have only 2 discs in my collection that has given me "lock-up" problems and 2 that have "menu" problems.

My unit locked up at the layer change on "Signs" as it does with the second chapter of the 2-disc version of "Romper Stomper" Signs also has an extremely slow to load menu, as "Dinosaurs" did, another Disney title which took 1-year for them to correct and replace!

Will there be an exchange campaign on it?

2. Clinton McClure

Clinton McClure Casual Enthusiast

Clint
    I watched Signs last night with no problems like you are describing. The disc played flawlessly.

3. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

It would help if we knew which DVD player model that exhibits problems with the new Signs DVD. Perhaps owners of the same DVD player model will chime in with their experience with the same DVD. Just like most Panasonic DVD players having transport lockout problems when playing the relatively new Austin Powers 3 DVD.

4. Jamie Cole

Jamie Cole Stunt Coordinator

5. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

A *lot* of recent Disney DVD releases have been without trailer, and I'm only talking about new theatrical releases.
    Offhand, I can think of The Count of Monte Cristo, The Rookie, Max Keeble's Big Move, Return to Never Land, Snow Dogs, Corky Romano...there's plenty more.
    It's a really stupid trend, not to mention that all of their catalogue releases are now without trailers and that the Santa Clause SE didn't even include the trailer from the original DVD release.
    I know it's just a trailer...but [​IMG] if it's just a trailer, just include it.

6. Dave_P.

Dave_P. Supporting Actor

It's sad, but it seems the few trailers that I actually would like to watch again are the ones that don't make it onto the DVD's. [​IMG]

7. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

8. LukeB

LukeB Cinematographer

9. ConradC

ConradC Extra

Sorry for my ignorance but are there two different versions out there? A regular one and a special addition one? One place states a regular one disk dvd yet another place states a special addition 2 disk set. [​IMG] The covers do look different also. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the name of the sites so I won't.

10. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

There is only one version out there. Go to the Vista Series website for a look at the packaging.

11. ConradC

ConradC Extra

Ok, I found the cover art.
    [​IMG]
    That's the one selling everywhere.
    I found this at, well I guess I have to post the link if I have to explain, dvd.com:
    [​IMG]
    It says it's a 2-disk Special Edition. I'm confused. [​IMG]

12. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    top one is the 1 disc dvd. bottom one appears to be the theatrical movie release poster.

13. ConradC

ConradC Extra

14. Carlo Medina

Carlo Medina Executive Producer

Man, another case where they should have gone with the movie poster as the cover of the DVD. [​IMG]

15. Bryant Trew

Bryant Trew Second Unit

What? No trailer? But that was the most intersting about this film. 30 seconds of mystery and suspense vs 2hrs of poor story-telling about really dumb aliens.

16. Jeremy Conrad

Jeremy Conrad Supporting Actor

I can't get subtitles to turn off in Power DVD. Only problem I've seen though.

17. Brian Fineberg

Brian Fineberg Second Unit

is it me or is the layer change at the WORST possible place!! There is a big slam that resonates but is completely cutoff for a second to complete the switch. OK that is my only rant.

-B

18. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    I had no problems with the Disc, but I agree it's hardly revolutionary in the Picture and Sound Dept. The extras are definately of the Watch once variety, the Deleted scenes are pretty unneccessary, But interesting. The one thing I found real interesting was the M. Night in one of the extras was talking about the selling of the film, how he talked Disney out of selling the movie with a poster plastering Gibson's face on it. He won that battle but the DVD cover sure looks like a victory for Disney.

19. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    BTW I think the person who posted about the 2hrs of Mystery and 30 Sec of Aliens is missing the Point of the movie, the Movie really was'nt about Aliens, thou it included them. It the directors take on an invasion film, like Unbreakable was his take on Superhero Movies and Sixth Sense about Ghost Stories. I like M. night's style, he's above for going for the convential method of storytelling in Genre films. He one of our more interesting directors and this was one of Mel Gibson's Strongest performances.

20. TysonK

TysonK Agent

I picked up Signs today and was extremely dissappointed with the packaging and extras. Not a whole lot on the disc. Why call it Vista when it's nothing more than a 1 disc dvd with a few extras. Maybe I was spoiled with Pearl Harbor Vista but I was expecting more for a Vista title. After Who Framed Roger Rabbit?, will there be further multi disc Vista series sets anymore? With the cost cutting going on at Disney, I am skeptical. The only ones I know of are Who framed.. and the three colors trilogy (non vista). But these two were planned a year or more ago...